Default Mabua entry / exit

If I enter Mabua at the main gate, travel the Wilderness route (with stop over at Mosimane) to Nossob, spend 1 night at Nossob then travel the Polentswa trail to KAA gate and exit at KAA, is it allowed or must I do immigration at Twee Rivieren?
    2009 Defender 110 Puma
    2016 Imagine Comfortvan

"Nothing beats the tranquility of camping"

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Re: Mabua entry / exit

Not possible at the moment.
    You need to exit where you entered.

I'm pretty sure that the KAA gate isn't even open at the moment.

I would also be very hesitant to drive up there at the moment.

The Polentswa trail must be prebooked.

The KAA access road will be very overgrown with sticky sour gras.
    We did KAA last year in March and almost ruined our engine even with a seed net
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/04/19 at 10:30 AM.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Not possible at the moment.

The Polentswa trail must be prebooked. The KAA access road will be very overgrown with sticky sour gras.
    We did KAA last year in March and almost ruined our engine even with a seed net.

This sign is new, it stands where one enters the KAA access road.
    Found it in March 2021.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Kampi View Post
    If I enter Mabua at the main gate, travel the Wilderness route (with stop over at Mosimane) to Nossob, spend 1 night at Nossob then travel the Polentswa trail to KAA gate and exit at KAA, is it allowed or must I do immigration at Twee Rivieren?
    Should be possible as you are exiting the park in same country you are entering the park in. I booked a site at Kaa gate in Feb 22 so I believe it is open.

[QUOTE=Southerndreams;4624050]Not possible at the moment.

The Polentswa trail must be prebooked.

The KAA access road will be very overgrown with sticky sour gras.
    We did KAA last year in March and almost ruined our engine even with a seed net[
    /QUOTE]

This is NOT a true statement I'm afraid.

If you enter Mabua, you are in Botswana.
    Then you venture through the park wherever you want to go,( BW or SA side doesn't matter).
    So Polentswa and the trails are possible under assumption you are booked and cleared with DWNP.
    Then you exit Kaa gate (open !!) and remain in Botswana.

So basically you never cross a border per se as the K Transfrontier Park is just that, an area without the need of border formalities within the park.

So "YES" the plan works under assumption you comply with trail rules and bookings.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams;4624055[COLOR=#d3d3d3
    ]Not possible at the moment.

The Polentswa trail must be prebooked. The KAA access road will be very overgrown with sticky sour gras.
    We did KAA last year in March and almost ruined our engine even with a seed net.
    [/COLOR]
    This sign is new, it stands where one enters the KAA access road.
    Found it in March 2021.
    There are 3 tracks between the Polentswa and the Kaa area.

1 is the start of the Polentswa trail (one way) heading North
    2 is the return of the trail (one way) heading South
    3 the transit track open for public between Kaa and Nossob (via the Poentswa area (2-ways)

No booking required for N03
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Hi Kalahari Safari,

I am also uncertain about some of the regs. We are going to retrace a trip we did a few years ago. The plan is to enter at twee rivieren, go to Nossob, then Mabua, then take the cutline to the Kaa gate, spend some time at Thupapedi, back to Nosoob and then Rooiputs.

We will do the covid tests but does using the cutline count as exiting the park (i.e will they allow us back in at Kaa gate?).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi Kalahari Safari,

I am also uncertain about some of the regs. We are going to retrace a trip we did a few years ago. The plan is to enter at twee rivieren, go to Nossob, then Mabua, then take the cutline to the Kaa gate, spend some time at Thupapedi, back to Nosoob and then Rooiputs.

We will do the covid tests but does using the cutline count as exiting the park (i.e will they allow us back in at Kaa gate?).

Cheers

Once you plan to leave the park at Mabua you need to do the border clearance into Botswana at Twee Rivieren (2R).
    You are officially entering BW when leaving at the Mabua gate, but border check is not there but as said at 2R.

So in effect, these days you would need a fresh C-19 PCR test when returning to SA, at 2R again that is.

Looks like a shlep as you can't test anywhere near Mabua or Kaa and would have to go to Ghanzi adding a few 100 kms to the trip.

The only solution I see is to stay in the park and plan your route not to leave into BW at any time, the camps on BW side are fine, you don't cross the border officially there.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Once you plan to leave the park at Mabua you need to do the border clearance into Botswana at Twee Rivieren (2R).
    You are officially entering BW when leaving at the Mabua gate, but border check is not there but as said at 2R.

So in effect, these days you would need a fresh C-19 PCR test when returning to SA, at 2R again that is.

Looks like a shlep as you can't test anywhere near Mabua or Kaa and would have to go to Ghanzi adding a few 100 kms to the trip.

The only solution I see is to stay in the park and plan your route not to leave into BW at any time, the camps on BW side are fine, you don't cross the border officially there.
    Thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing. As you say its a bit of a schlep and we don't actually officially want to cross the border else we would most likely head for Mcarthy's Rest and Tsabong. We will probably come back along the Mabua-Nossob route and then head for the KAA region. Its a pity as it will take us an extra night this way. We also miss the stunning beauty, peace and isolation of that cutline road.

Cheers

Having just returned from Kaa last week, we did the Twee Rivieren entry with Botswana formalities done at Two Rivers. The later consisted of presentation of a PCR test not older than 72 hrs and then a rapid swab test. When we arrived at Nossob we noticed a COVID testing facility which as we understood it is for those visitors that enter the park from the Bots side. So I am surmising here but this is how we believe it works - Botswana visitors enter the park via Mabua and Kaa, which is most definitely open for visitors from Botswana side but closed for exit for people entering from Two Rivers, the Botswana visitors that wish to visit SA camps will have to be tested at Nossob, if you come from Mabua to Kaa gates or vice versus you bypass this.

Edit - If you have entered from the Botswana side you cannot exit via Two Rivers both the SA and Botswana border facilities are closed. Equally if you have entered from the SA side you cannot exit via Mabua or Kaa.
    Last edited by River Rat; 2021/04/19 at 09:25 PM.

I guess I was hoping that the cutline would be a grey area that was still considered the park, but that is mostly likely not the case.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/04/19 at 08:37 PM.

I guess I was hoping that the cutline would be a grey area that was still considered the park, but that is mostly likely not the case.
    I was wondering about the same thing, your problem is getting around Kaa as the gate is closed for you unless you are "officially" in Botswana which you are not if you have entered via Twee Rivieren. The cutline is on the other side of the Kaa gate but who knows what the official status is, according to Tracks4 Africa the border is north of the cutline but having driven it what remains of the fence is south. All I can add is that the Kaa gate was not manned when we passed through on our way to Swartpan apparently they went to a meeting and were due back at 12h00 it was 14h00 when we "knocked" on the gate. We were greeted by another SA traveller having an admin day of washing / cleaning and some Chilean travelers trying to fix their broken hired Paj using the Kaa internet to converse with the hire company mechanic in Windhoek on an electrical problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I was wondering about the same thing, your problem is getting around Kaa as the gate is closed for you unless you are "officially" in Botswana which you are not if you have entered via Twee Rivieren. The cutline is on the other side of the Kaa gate but who knows what the official status is, according to Tracks4 Africa the border is north of the cutline but having driven it what remains of the fence is south. All I can add is that the Kaa gate was not manned when we passed through on our way to Swartpan apparently they went to a meeting and were due back at 12h00 it was 14h00 when we "knocked" on the gate. We were greeted by another SA traveller having an admin day of washing / cleaning and some Chilean travelers trying to fix their broken hired Paj using the Kaa internet to converse with the hire company mechanic in Windhoek on an electrical problem.
    Thanks, I also noticed the same thing on T4A. I've driven that cutline previously and it was such a pleasure, but KAA gate was definitely manned by a rather unpleasant fellow (I know they rotate).

On T4A, there is also the road below the cutline that also runs to KAA gate. But when we were there in 2019, it was impassable. I wonder if its worth a try.

Was this recent? What was the bush in the road like near Thupapedi. It was very overgrown when we were there in 2019.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/04/20 at 09:43 AM.

Thank you for all your comments.

W.r.t. the original OP, It has been confirmed that if you enter Nossob at any time, you will have to do immigration at Two Rivers, so my request is a no no.

Just some feedback on my trip:

I did the Mabua cutline road to KAA community camp last week, and it was an easy drive. From there to Zutshwa the 2-spoor is very nice although you can see it has not been travelled a lot lately. The roads leading into the KD2 area (to Peach and Kangwe pan) were overgrown with tall grass.

The 2-spoor from Hukuntsi to Masetleng Pan is no longer there, we made our own way using the GPS as a guide line. Grass was 1m high. The road back to Hukuntsi via Monong was a pleasure to drive.
    2009 Defender 110 Puma
    2016 Imagine Comfortvan

"Nothing beats the tranquility of camping"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kampi For This Useful Post:

I do not want to hijack your thread but, entering Kgalagadi from Kaa or Mabuesehube and you have a booking in Nossob,may I return via the above gates without visiting Two Rivers.Same question asked this morning but not much response.
    Swakopmunder

Quote Originally Posted by basie oosthuizen View Post
    I do not want to hijack your thread but, entering Kgalagadi from Kaa or Mabuesehube and you have a booking in Nossob,may I return via the above gates without visiting Two Rivers.Same question asked this morning but not much response.
    Yes this is possible. It is the reason to be a Transfrontier park where within you are free to move if you are exiting the same country you started with.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thanks, I also noticed the same thing on T4A. I've driven that cutline previously and it was such a pleasure, but KAA gate was definitely manned by a rather unpleasant fellow (I know they rotate). On T4A, there is also the road below the cutline that also runs to KAA gate. But when we were there in 2019, it was impassable. I wonder if its worth a try. Was this recent? What was the bush in the road like near Thupapedi. It was very overgrown when we were there in 2019.
    I am not sure about the road you are mentioning but we were in the area between the 7th and 11th April 2021staying at Sizatswe, Swartpan and Gnus Gnus and although the bush was way denser than when we visited in 2019 it was passable. You can expect lots of bush rash though .

[QUOTE=Kalahari Safari;4625719]Yes this is possible. It is the reason to be a Transfrontier park where within you are free to move if you are exiting the same country you started with.[
    Thanks KS. So entering with a Nossob reservation is OK?
    I trust on leaving Botswana at Buitepos/ Mamuno covid test should be done in Ghanzi?
    Swakopmunder

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Having just returned from Kaa last week, we did the Twee Rivieren entry with Botswana formalities done at Two Rivers. The later consisted of presentation of a PCR test not older than 72 hrs and then a rapid swab test. When we arrived at Nossob we noticed a COVID testing facility which as we understood it is for those visitors that enter the park from the Bots side. So I am surmising here but this is how we believe it works - Botswana visitors enter the park via Mabua and Kaa, which is most definitely open for visitors from Botswana side but closed for exit for people entering from Two Rivers, the Botswana visitors that wish to visit SA camps will have to be tested at Nossob, if you come from Mabua to Kaa gates or vice versus you bypass this.

Edit - If you have entered from the Botswana side you cannot exit via Two Rivers both the SA and Botswana border facilities are closed. Equally if you have entered from the SA side you cannot exit via Mabua or Kaa.
    I really hope this changes by September, as my trip is planned to go in Via mabua, and exit at 2 Rivieren.

[QUOTE=basie oosthuizen;4625950]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Yes this is possible. It is the reason to be a Transfrontier park where within you are free to move if you are exiting the same country you started with.[
    Thanks KS. So entering with a Nossob reservation is OK?
    I trust on leaving Botswana at Buitepos/ Mamuno covid test should be done in Ghanzi?
    Yes, but check if they are not doing testing at the border (NAM side).
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45