Default AC Dryer oil leak?

So, I Did a 900km trip this weekend and spotted some oil on the passenger side window.
    Looks like it could come from the AC Dryer, possibly just and o-ring, but nowhere on the net could I find a similar issue or repair..
    Quite a bit of oil on the fender top and inside the bonnet.

Anyone else experienced this.

2009 - 2.4 Puma

Name:  20210419_072048.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  296.8 KB
    D90
    D130

Default Re: AC Dryer oil leak?

no suggestions? where are the aircon experts?

Can I just unbolt and replace the o-ring, or do I need to let gas out of the system?
    I don't use my AC at all, so don't mind it not working afterwards..
    D90
    D130

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post

Can I just unbolt and replace the o-ring, or do I need to let gas out of the system?
    I will PM you details of an excellent aircon guy in Pretoria. He should be able to assist.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Start the car put aircon on and squirt some soapy water on , look for bubbles. Is the aircon working

AC oil that I have seen is luminous yellow, so unless yours is very frot, I don't think it is. You should use the AC more as that is probably why it is packing up if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybota View Post
    Start the car put aircon on and squirt some soapy water on , look for bubbles. Is the aircon working

cool, will do, thanks.
    D90
    D130

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    AC oil that I have seen is luminous yellow, so unless yours is very frot, I don't think it is. You should use the AC more as that is probably why it is packing up if that is the case.

cant see any other place the oil could come from, as only the AC lines are in that location, and "in" side of the dryer seems like its leaking ...
    Thanks
    D90
    D130

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    AC oil is actually clear to very light yellow/brown. The yellow you see is a florescent dye you can add to help locate leaks using a UV light.

If the oil is indeed form the AC, then by now all the gas has probably already leaked out.
    The soap bubble test is a good way to go, but is only useful if there is still gas in the system.
    If the gas has all leaked out, hopefully the systems LP (Low Pressure) switch will stop, the compressor clutch from engaging and thus prevent the AC compressor from running. Safer to remove the AC fuse as well, other wise if the compressor does run, it will pump all it's oil out into the condenser and receiver and will seize. The oil return to the compressor is dependent on the gas vapour flow returning to the compressor, no gas no oil return.

Startup the engine, set AC system to coldest see if the compressor comes in and if there is cool air. Look for bubbles or a solid flow in the sight glass. If not the gas has leaked out.
    It could well be that an o-ring has failed or a small crack has developed on the pipe work or condenser. If it was the compressor input shaft seal, there would be oil in that vicinity.

If all the above yields negative results, take to automotive AC repair shop.

Edit: What you can also do is find one of the two charging ports (look like big tyre valves), high side or low side port does not matter, unscrew the plastic cap and depress the centre valve pin slightly and quickly, if there is gas in the system it will hiss out.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/04/19 at 01:34 PM.

Preferable to let the gas out of the system at a high point, like the suction charging port. If not you can loose a lot of oil that will foam out as the gas is released. Especially if the leaky o-ring is on the dryer/accumulator take off side, then you can have liquid refrigerant and a fair amount of oil coming out.

thanks all, what baffles me is the fact that oil is being pushed out all over the inside without the AC running...

Or is there a constant flow even when the AC is off?
    D90
    D130

Canít really see by the pic but it also could be your power stearing bottle cap throwing out oil through the breather hole,
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

thanks all, what baffles me is the fact that oil is being pushed out all over the inside without the AC running...

Or is there a constant flow even when the AC is off?
    No flow when the AC is off, but if there is a leak, the system will continue to push out gas and oil until the refrigerant charge is depleted.

Are your fairly sure it's the AC system ?

I donít think that the oil is from the aircon. The system only takes 120ml of oil and it is clear. I have had 2 leaks on mine and not a single drop of oil was pushed out.

As someone said check the power steering reservoir. The leak could be somewhere else and the fan might be blowing the oil onto that area.
    Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Range Rover 4.4 V8 sold
    Audi A3T sold

OK... Face-palm....

Got in there last night with a torch as the AC thing did not make sense as it is off permanently...

as I pulled the material sleeve away over the boost pipe I saw the long tear...

Will close this FRED and open a new one with the correct heading..

thanks!
    Last edited by D-tox; 2021/04/20 at 08:36 AM.
    D90
    D130