Default Toyota Hilux vs Nissan NP300

Hi guys,
    I'm struggling to choose the next rental for an overland trip of 7-9 weeks through Namibia-Botswana-Zimbabwe across Kgalagadi-CKGR-Moremi-Chobe-Hwange-Kubu island and Nxai Pans.
    On many past trips I've been along with an Hilux but being on my own this time, budget is an issue.
    So a Nissan NP300 (also called the hardbody, correct me if I'm wrong) comes definitely cheaper than the Hilux.
    So the question is if the NP300 still is as reliable as the Hilux for the kind of trip I have in mind or, if all these years I may even underestimated the NP300 towards a more popular Hilux.
    Are my expectations and enthusiasm towards the Hilux exaggerated compared to a possibly equally valuable truck like the NP300?
    Thanks for any feedbacks
    Last edited by Nambots; 2021/04/18 at 03:58 PM.

Default Re: Toyota Hilux vs Nissan NP300

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Nissan
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

The Nissan will do just fine
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Just don't have a crash in the nissan. The locally built ones did very poorly in the crash test vs the competition and even against the same vehicle assembled in EU plant.

Otherwise I think it would do just as well.

Then again you won't be able to dodge a moose in the Hilux. Its a gamble whenever you get in either of them (tic).
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Just don't have a crash in the nissan. The locally built ones did very poorly in the crash test vs the competition and even against the same vehicle assembled in EU plant.

Otherwise I think it would do just as well.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Nambots View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm struggling to choose the next rental for an overland trip of 7-9 weeks through Namibia-Botswana-Zimbabwe across Kgalagadi-CKGR-Moremi-Chobe-Hwange-Kubu island and Nxai Pans.
    On many past trips I've been along with an Hilux but being on my own this time, budget is an issue.
    So a Nissan NP300 (also called the hardbody, correct me if I'm wrong) comes definitely cheaper than the Hilux.
    So the question is if the NP300 still is as reliable as the Hilux for the kind of trip I have in mind or, if all these years I may even underestimated the NP300 towards a more popular Hilux.
    Are my expectations and enthusiasm towards the Hilux exaggerated compared to a possibly equally valuable truck like the NP300?
    Thanks for any feedbacks
    The Nissan NP300 is a lot more old school than the current Hilux. Minimal safety features, no electronic driving aids apart from ABS. The cabin feels smaller. The Hilux got a stronger engine. The NP300 might feel a little more comfortable with it's softer suspension.
    Reliability wise there are no worries, the NP300 should be on par with the Hilux. It's a very popular vehicle in Namibia and Botswana, up to this day. A lot of people appreciate the no nonsense minimalist Nissan.
    Considering savings over such a long rental period, I would certainly decide for the Nissan NP300 double cab for 2 people. The rear seats are a bit cramped, good for younger children at best.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Thank's for all your answers. I'll definitely consider to hire the NP300.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The Nissan NP300 is a lot more old school than the current Hilux. Minimal safety features, no electronic driving aids apart from ABS. The cabin feels smaller. The Hilux got a stronger engine. The NP300 might feel a little more comfortable with it's softer suspension.
    Reliability wise there are no worries, the NP300 should be on par with the Hilux. It's a very popular vehicle in Namibia and Botswana, up to this day. A lot of people appreciate the no nonsense minimalist Nissan.
    Considering savings over such a long rental period, I would certainly decide for the Nissan NP300 double cab for 2 people. The rear seats are a bit cramped, good for younger children at best.
    What he said ^.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius