Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Huge fire on Table Mountain

According to ETV - man arrested for starting fire. 3 men seen moving through the bushes starting the fires.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Lets hope he gets community service and not free board and lodging ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Lets hope he gets community service and not free board and lodging ?
    My post #29 refers...
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

We would have been assured of at least 1 gold medal at the Olympics if destruction and vandalism was a national sport.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SP1971 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Most of us will go through this type of rebelliousness in our own homes with our own children. These phases need to be handled with great forethought, I think.

Most of us would earlier have gone through similar rebellious experiences ourselves.
    Agreed.

Rebelliousness is a tale as old as time, the type of person (conformist, leader, or insurrectionist etc..) that comes out the other side is dependent on a number of factors, such as the major role models within their personal life, and in their societal circle, as well as their parental guardians ability to deal with the "phase" of rebelliousness, which may in itself be based largely on misinformation, or poor interpretation by the "rebelling" party.

The manners or actions of a child are to an extent molded by the society within which it is raised, if that child is then deemed to be a problem, then a certain amount of introspection, and evaluation of the society as a whole is needed (perhaps the child is just a reflection of that society and the people who raised said child).

Disclaimer: This is an uneducated opinion on a very very complex subject matter.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/04/19 at 10:34 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    We would have been assured of at least 1 gold medal at the Olympics if destruction and vandalism was a national sport.
    It is already a national sport in SA! Becoming an international sport if one looks at the US. Maybe in the Olympics soon
    Last edited by HannoK; 2021/04/19 at 10:35 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I dont understand how a tree can combust meters away from a fire. Does it need an ember or does the sorrounding atmosphere get so hot it gets to a combustable temperature. If so that must be scary because if you are trapped in a building like that, even if you were sitting in a bath of water the air would be so hot your lungs would blister.

Sad to see historic stuff going up in flames.
    In my youth, living in George (Southern / Western Cape area) we had one among other forest / mountain fires there.
    Our home was on a 2 morgen stand and named "Forest Edge" which should explain.

I personally observed pine trees literally exploding due to the resin / sap reaching its flashpoint or whatever they call it.
    Yes it happens.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

I was in contact with UCT library staff through last night as my wife and I donated our entire video archive of hundreds of tapes of apartheid-era and democratic transition news and documentary footage to UCT some years ago as part of the African film archive. The Jagger library had most of their archive stored in concrete reinforced underground areas with automated fireproof roller shutter doors and they are hoping this willl have saved some of the valuable material, but as one of their senior archivists emailed me, "We are hoping the stores in the basements will be salvaged though we fear water damage."
    The heat damage is also a factor, especially with brittle manuscripts, film and video tape.
    But contrary to what has been said higher in this thread by some uninformed keyboard warriors, UCT had state-of-the-art fire protection for all its valuable collections, and for its hazardous areas like the Chem labs etc.
    In addition, much of the most valuable material has been digitised, so a record will still exist.
    The above-ground area that was destroyed was the reading room, where less-valuable texts etc were housed, and admin offices above that. They will be unable to access the rest of the archive until it has been declared safe, which may take several days.
    As worrying is that the Bolus Herbarium, which contains specimens of many now-extinct plants, was also apparently badly affected.
    As for the noise on Twitter, the sooner we all learn to ignore random crap on social media posted by lowlife idiots, the better. It makes your life a lot less stressful.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

14. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I was in contact with UCT library staff through last night as my wife and I donated our entire video archive of hundreds of tapes of apartheid-era and democratic transition news and documentary footage to UCT some years ago as part of the African film archive. The Jagger library had most of their archive stored in concrete reinforced underground areas with automated fireproof roller shutter doors and they are hoping this willl have saved some of the valuable material, but as one of their senior archivists emailed me, "We are hoping the stores in the basements will be salvaged though we fear water damage."
    The heat damage is also a factor, especially with brittle manuscripts, film and video tape.
    But contrary to what has been said higher in this thread by some uninformed keyboard warriors, UCT had state-of-the-art fire protection for all its valuable collections, and for its hazardous areas like the Chem labs etc.
    In addition, much of the most valuable material has been digitised, so a record will still exist.
    The above-ground area that was destroyed was the reading room, where less-valuable texts etc were housed, and admin offices above that. They will be unable to access the rest of the archive until it has been declared safe, which may take several days.
    As worrying is that the Bolus Herbarium, which contains specimens of many now-extinct plants, was also apparently badly affected.
    As for the noise on Twitter, the sooner we all learn to ignore random crap on social media posted by lowlife idiots, the better. It makes your life a lot less stressful.
    Tony, for what it's worth, my son, who is majoring in Bio, tells me that word from his lecturers is that the herbarium survived. It is early and I'm sure that it still needs to be assessed, but in the mean time, that's the news I got.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Hi Tony I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Thanks Tony. Do you mind if I share this with a few Cape Town friends who are devastated by what they believe is the loss of the entire collection?
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/04/19 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Thanks Tony. Do you mind if I share this with a few Cape Tien friends who are devastated by what they believe is the loss of the entire collection?
    No problem, but stress that it is still early days and they have not been able to get in yet to do a full assessment.
    Re the Bolus Herbarium, latest we are hearing is that while the Herbarium is intact, the roof has been destroyed and it is vulnerable to the elements, and the Plant Conservation Unit and ICWild have been burned out. Again, I must stress that that is unconfirmed.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2021/04/19 at 02:43 PM.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Hi Tony I sent you a PM.
    Reply sent.
    Tony Weaver

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    According to ETV - man arrested for starting fire. 3 men seen moving through the bushes starting the fires.
    what can you possibly gain from doing this

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    what can you possibly gain from doing this
    There is a political sabotage theory.

Opposition parties trying to waste CT time and money, and discredit the DA.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Some footage, the library looks shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4kYaD_lMM4
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2021/04/19 at 03:10 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

DJR

Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    There is a political sabotage theory.

Opposition parties trying to waste CT time and money, and discredit the DA.
    Very early on it was reported by SANParks that it started as a fire from a place where the homeless or vagrants "camped" on the mountain. As much as I like conspiracy theories adding spice to life, it is much more likely to be the more boring explanation. The homeless population has exploded in the past year and to be honest, it should not come as a surprise if it was indeed one of their fires that started it. I would call that reckless arson, but almost certainly not with political motives.
    Last edited by DJR; 2021/04/19 at 04:44 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Pic from inside the UCT library after quenching the flames
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Pic from inside the UCT library after quenching the flames
    Just terrible, so sad to see.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast