Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Huge fire on Table Mountain

Name:  20210419_075758.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  269.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Twitter is full of student leaders encouraging to help burn UCT.

What a complete idiot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Please feal free to read and interpret my previous posts however you all wish, but a high value masonry building with a tiled roof, surrounded by other buildings and a couple of 100 meters from the flame front should not have burnt down from this bush fire. Especially a library with irreplaceable contents. It should have fire protection and suppressant systems in place that can handle remote fires and flying embers. It's fire protection should go way beyond normal general use buildings. It and other high value buildings containing irreplaceable material should get some form of priority protection status during situations like this. Something went horribly wrong here and some difficult and unconfortable questions need to be asked, but it's apparently not a good idea to ask them here.
    Ask all you want, just do not make unsubstantiated insinuations (edit) that you have no proof for. The Jagger library and especially its valuable collections of Africana is partly underground and in secure vaults. I cannot say what damage water will cause but some or most of the critical stuff is likely to survive. All UCTs old buildings have been retro-fitted with modern fire measures at huge cost. Remember that some were built more than a century ago long before fire codes were a thing. Buildings like the Bio complex have especially good fire design to protect areas like labs etc. Much was done!
    Last edited by DJR; 2021/04/19 at 08:49 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I dont understand how a tree can combust meters away from a fire. Does it need an ember or does the sorrounding atmosphere get so hot it gets to a combustable temperature. If so that must be scary because if you are trapped in a building like that, even if you were sitting in a bath of water the air would be so hot your lungs would blister.

Sad to see historic stuff going up in flames.
    Trees do not generally burn very easily in fires and are quite fire resistant. You need a hot fire and not a cold fire that gets into the tree canopy to do lots of damage with a very high fire line intensity (kW/m).
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 AT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5 AT

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Ask all you want, just do not make unsubstantiated claims that you have no proof for. The Jagger library and especially its valuable collections of Africana is partly underground and in secure vaults. I cannot say what damage water will cause but some or most of the critical stuff is likely to survive. All UCTs old buildings have been retro-fitted with modern fire measures at huge cost. Remember that some were built more than a century ago long before fire codes were a thing. Buildings like the Bio complex have especially good fire design to protect areas like labs etc. Much was done!
    What "claim" did I make ?
    Your posts are quite aggressive and take wording out of context.

I call on you to edit you post.

Very selective fire ?
    Jagger library next to Jameson Hall.
    Quite central, tiled roof and surrounded by other buildings.

Attachment 612823
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    What are you suggesting?
    Must I type it out for you or draw pictures ?
    Now kindly connect the dots......
    Draw the picture.
    Answer the question asked
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Searcher my mate, can I just suggest that you take a deep breath and step back for a while. Emotions are running too high for a dispassionate and logical discussion of this tragic and ongoing fire.

Myself and my three children invested a combined 25 years of the best and most impressionable years of our lives into UCT. Feelings are too raw right now for speculative accusations.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Now kindly connect the dots......
    Draw the picture.
    Answer the question asked
    Nah, I will leave that to you, hence the origional.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Searcher my mate, can I just suggest that you take a deep breath and step back for a while. Emotions are running too high for a dispassionate and logical discussion of this tragic and ongoing fire.

Myself and my three children invested a combined 25 years of the best and most impressionable years of our lives into UCT. Feelings are too raw right now for speculative accusations.
    Stan, I hear you. I am also passionate about UCT. I studied there for many years, was in the Mech Eng building just behind Jagger Library. Spent endless hours on Jamie steps next to Jagger Library as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    Not all was lost. The fire suppression and roller doors saved most of the collections. The reading room did not have the good stuff in it and was just restored a few years back.
    What do I know then, I'd like to see the tech of how they do it, but that's way better than I'd expect. That's well done.

What "claim" did I make ?
    Your posts are quite aggressive and take wording out of context.

I call on you to edit you post.
    Good,I'll take away the word "claim" and change it to "insinuate". Personally I think that makes it worse.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    What do I know then, I'd like to see the tech of how they do it, but that's way better than I'd expect. That's well done.
    In the Jagger, but elsewhere too. Over decades UCT have spent an absolute fortune on installing modern fire code hardware to their old heritage buildings that were built before such things even existed. Some buildings, and critical parts of buildings, were better protected. I know for instance, that the bio labs had really strict fire protection because of flammables stored there. They also regularly have fire drills.
    Last edited by DJR; 2021/04/19 at 08:57 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

My lightie just messaged "the city is in big trouble, the wind changed overnight, they are busy evacuating Vredehoek".

There is going to be massive human misery here unless weather intervenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Twitter is full of student leaders encouraging to help burn UCT.
    ahhh, the youth of today. How, or rather what gives them this mentality? I simply don't understand it, I probably never will. I hope he loses all his belongings in a fire of some sort.

Many young people around the world are young, angry and frustrated and go through the phase of romantically imagining themselves as anarchists and revolutionaries, to varying degrees. In a healthy society this will to some extent be part of growing up.

Fortunately, almost without exception, this political rebelliousness is outgrown with age and responsibility.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    ahhh, the youth of today. How, or rather what gives them this mentality? I simply don't understand it, I probably never will. I hope he loses all his belongings in a fire of some sort.
    And you ask the question!

Many young people around the world are young, angry and frustrated and go through the phase of romantically imagining themselves as anarchists and revolutionaries, to varying degrees. In a healthy society this will to some extent be part of growing up.

Fortunately, almost without exception, this political rebelliousness is outgrown with age and responsibility.
    And for this chap I suspect a visit from law enforcement will assist with his life choices. And given that 4000 students are without accommodation I suspect he's not the most popular "revolutionary" amongst the comrades right now.

100% Stan. But, in the meantime the rest of us have to live with the [email protected] that is caused by this so called rebelliousness! The right to voice my concerns has now become the right to vent my anger?
    “If you want something you've never had
    You must be willing to do something you've never done.”

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Most of us will go through this type of rebelliousness in our own homes with our own children. These phases need to be handled with great forethought, I think.

Most of us would earlier have gone through similar rebellious experiences ourselves.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast