Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Huge fire on Table Mountain

Wonder if these fires are getting out of control like this due to not having controlled burns, vegetation overgrown and once they start they are fueled and can become unstoppable
    Last edited by clivemd; 2021/04/18 at 07:58 PM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Must I type it out for you or draw pictures ?
    How about you just stop acting like an infant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Whatever you are trying to infer is wrong - this was very similar to the Knysna fire of a few years back, the fire jumping huge distances, palm trees igniting in Main Road, hundreds of metres away from the fire front. It was very hot with extremely low humidity today, and has been like that for a few days. Jagger Library is one of the oldest buildings on campus, and not far from the stone pines below Rhodes Mem - the fire did what wildfires do, it jumped. Don't try and infer some kind of conspiracy theory.
    Thank you, you just said what I wanted to point out.

Recent Betty's Bay fire did the same.
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

A devastating and sustained massive fire recently went through Jonkershoek Valley here in Stellenbosch recently.
    Not one building lost. Incredible effort by the fire fighters and choppers.

Very selective fire ?
    Jagger library next to Jameson Hall.
    Quite central, tiled roof and surrounded by other buildings.

Attachment 612823
    I do not call people names easily, but you really made me the moer in with your idiotic comment!

I live RIGHT here, below Mosters Mill, I have been in the thick of it today and UCT is my backyard! I have two sons who study there and I know several people who had to evacuate today. I KNOW what I am talking about, I know how it went down today! Those old historic stone buildings have wooden rafters under the tiles, and gutters filled with dry autumn leaves, and embers blowing in a 30 knots wind from burning tress nearby. The fact that they didn't ALL catch fire is a bloody miracle.

And you feel like insinuating that someone, possibly students, intentionally set fire to it!

Unless YOU have first hand knowledge of it, or proof for your idiotic insinuation, then I call on you to edit your post!

If you dislike my strong language, feel free to ask Dirk to reprimand me!
    Last edited by DJR; 2021/04/18 at 08:33 PM.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    I do not call people names easily, but you really made me the moer in with your idiotic comment!

I live RIGHT here, below Mosters Mill, I have been in the thick of it today and UCT is my backyard! I have two sons who study there and I know several people who had to evacuate today. I KNOW what I am talking about, I know how it went down today! Those old historic stone buildings have wooden rafters under the tiles, and gutters filled with dry autumn leaves, and embers blowing in a 30 knots wind from burning tress nearby. The fact that they didn't ALL catch fire is a bloody miracle.

And you feel like insinuating that someone, possibly students, intentionally set fire to it!

Unless YOU have first hand knowledge of it, or proof for your idiotic insinuation, then I call on you to edit your post!

If you dislike my strong language, feel free to ask Dirk to reprimand me!
    No problem with your post.

Read my post #24.

A devastating and sustained massive fire recently went through Jonkershoek Valley here in Stellenbosch recently.
    Not one building lost. Incredible effort by the fire fighters and choppers.
    No single fire is the same.
    All circumstances differ.
    All responses differ.

Just let it go.....
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Wow.

Touchy.

Referring to @Searcher contentious comment:

Last night
    1. Members of SAPS were deployed to stop acts of looting and arson,
    2. 2 fires were started (and extinguished) along De Waal Drive,
    3. Members of Neighborhood Watch in the area warned/called upon to be on the look-out for "further acts of arson".

We live in troubled times. Times where opportunists seize upon disastrous situations like this - and usually get away with it.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Please feal free to read and interpret my previous posts however you all wish, but a high value masonry building with a tiled roof, surrounded by other buildings and a couple of 100 meters from the flame front should not have burnt down from this bush fire. Especially a library with irreplaceable contents. It should have fire protection and suppressant systems in place that can handle remote fires and flying embers. It's fire protection should go way beyond normal general use buildings. It and other high value buildings containing irreplaceable material should get some form of priority protection status during situations like this. Something went horribly wrong here and some difficult and unconfortable questions need to be asked, but it's apparently not a good idea to ask them here.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Please feal free to read and interpret my previous posts however you all wish, but a high value masonry building with a tiled roof, surrounded by other buildings and a couple of 100 meters from the flame front should not have burnt down from this bush fire. Especially a library with irreplaceable contents. It should have fire protection and suppressant systems in place that can handle remote fires and flying embers. It's fire protection should go way beyond normal general use buildings. It and other high value buildings containing irreplaceable material should get some form of priority protection status during situations like this. Something went horribly wrong here and some difficult and unconfortable questions need to be asked, but it's apparently not a good idea to ask them here.

TIA. Somehow Notre Dame cathedral nearly burned to the ground a couple years ago. It’s one thing to look back in hindsight and say hummm that should have been handled differently, but another thing entirely to imply nefarious intent. Which is it you are suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Big fire in heavily wooded areas from Groote Schuur all the way across to Newlands Forset and around UCT

Rhodes Memorial restaurant exploded and burnt down -hope this does not get into UCT

3 helicopters doing very tough and dangerous work in thick smoke and against mountain -respect to them and all firefighters on a very hot day, and with wind picking up, on a very long day ahead.

People have been advised to urgently evacuate all nearby areas on the mountain.

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/rag...able-mountain/
    UCT Fuller Hall is burnt down plus Library > Fuller Hall is the oldest and most famous Girls Res and is situated on Rhodes Drive far from the outer Boundary at the back of the university >> 4000 Students in total have lost their accomodation from Fuller and other smaller res's

That was not what you meant from your post. You would have said this then. You're probably correct in this last addition, but your first post was obvious, especially obvious after your first response.

As for sprinkler systems in libraries with irreplaceable literature, it would just be a different way to destroy them, they would have needed gas release, virtually impossible in a building that big and that old. They needed to store it elsewhere, smaller and more controlled environment, which makes it less accessible, which wouldn't suit an academic environment every well. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

An aside - my son lives off Main Road, even they're on standby for evacuation if the wind turns again today.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/04/19 at 07:11 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

I dont understand how a tree can combust meters away from a fire. Does it need an ember or does the sorrounding atmosphere get so hot it gets to a combustable temperature. If so that must be scary because if you are trapped in a building like that, even if you were sitting in a bath of water the air would be so hot your lungs would blister.

Sad to see historic stuff going up in flames.

Not all was lost. The fire suppression and roller doors saved most of the collections. The reading room did not have the good stuff in it and was just restored a few years back.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.