Default Kill the B. Replace with EB

Would it not be a good idea for government to scrap the B license and replace it with the EB by default?

Having done my EB in 2014, there is NOTHING in the practical yard/road test that takes the mass of the trailer/caravan into consideration.

Some of the tests I can remember:

1. Reverse in a straight line with the trailer/caravan. Applicable to any trailer of any mass.
    2. Alley dock from both directions with the trailer/caravan. Again, applicable to any trailer of any mass.
    3. Incline start. This could be more troublesome with a heavier mass behind you, but again, applicable to a smaller trailer as well.

Then of course the road test with the trailer/caravan behind you.
    Because, at the moment you do not have to prove any competency to tow a trailer of 749.99kg, yet, 1kg over, you have to go write your learners again and do the yard and road test (where some of the tests are the same as with your B license ) even if you have been driving legally for 30 years.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Default Re: Kill the B. Replace with EB

I agree with some points but would like a competency test when someone hooks up 3 tons behind them.

Arguably a venter is the hardest to reverse as the axle is close to the vehicle.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mileage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mileage View Post
    Arguably a venter is the hardest to reverse as the axle is close to the vehicle.
    Similar principles apply when reversing a full size Intercape double decker with trailer, near instant jack knifing if you're not very careful. In fact, it is/was one of the first things they tested you on. If you can reverse with trailer only then do you proceed to the next phase of training. I guessed this was largely due to the fact that when coming in to the old CA station you had to reverse park.

I always thought it odd that when I did my code 14 some 20 years ago in Durban in an unloaded 11m single articulated flat bed, I was now qualified to drive a full size bus, with passengers. Fully loaded we weighed in at just over 26 tons. Go figure.

Incidentaly, a code 14/EC is not recognised in Europe at all, but a code 8/B is, in some countries. Truck (C) and bus (D) are separate licenses. If you need to tow, the E is done separetly too.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/04/16 at 10:54 AM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

We had a driver who was always very vocal about people getting their code 14 licenses and then wanting to apply for a job as a interlink driver just because of the paper in their hand. When we interviewed new drivers he used to take them for a drive in a Sprinter with a 1t trailer, many failed this first stage of his test and I completely trusted his judgment.
    Even today I'm still amazed what that guy could do with a interlink rig in reverse.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Would it not be a good idea for government to scrap the B license and replace it with the EB by default?

Having done my EB in 2014, there is NOTHING in the practical yard/road test that takes the mass of the trailer/caravan into consideration.

Some of the tests I can remember:

1. Reverse in a straight line with the trailer/caravan. Applicable to any trailer of any mass.
    2. Alley dock from both directions with the trailer/caravan. Again, applicable to any trailer of any mass.
    3. Incline start. This could be more troublesome with a heavier mass behind you, but again, applicable to a smaller trailer as well.

Then of course the road test with the trailer/caravan behind you.
    Because, at the moment you do not have to prove any competency to tow a trailer of 749.99kg, yet, 1kg over, you have to go write your learners again and do the yard and road test (where some of the tests are the same as with your B license ) even if you have been driving legally for 30 years.
    Sure. So long as the trailer tests form part of the B licence by default.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

I was automatically issued with an EB somewhere along the line. I got my licence in 1983. When I received my first card licence the EB was distinct. My licence in my ID book just says Code 08
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I was automatically issued with an EB somewhere along the line. I got my licence in 1983. When I received my first card licence the EB was distinct. My licence in my ID book just says Code 08
    I started with Code 08 and then when I became aware that I could do it, my Army License was taken into consideration and I was upgraded to Code 10.
    When the new licenses came out, I was granted EC1.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post

Incidentaly, a code 14/EC is not recognised in Europe at all, but a code 8/B is, in some countries. Truck (C) and bus (D) are separate licenses. If you need to tow, the E is done separetly too.
    I have an EC, never had an issue in Germany as long as I had my international drivers accompanying it (AA issued). Do you mean specifically driving a truck / towing in EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    I have an EC, never had an issue in Germany as long as I had my international drivers accompanying it (AA issued). Do you mean specifically driving a truck / towing in EU?
    Yes, I'm referring to driving a truck/bus/towing. When I arrived in Belgium they automatically converted my SA 14 to a local B only, no test required. However, I have an SA mate who now lives in The Netherlands, but he had to do the entire B license test there. You'd think all EU countries would have the same rules. Now in my case I could permanently relocate to The Netherlands with my Belgian nationality, and my SA license that was converted in Belgium. Here's another one, I had to renew my local B license recently, all I had to do was pay €30, and simply declare(sign) that I was still fit to drive, then went back a week later to get it.

Anyway, I think the main reason the SA 14 is not recognised in Europe is because truck and bus are separate licenses that involve significantly different training that takes weeks. Oh, a C or D license in Belgium will set you back about €3000, each, plus a bit more for the E if you need to tow. My code 14 cost me all of about 2000 Rond and took 5 days. That must be the other reason the SA 14 is not recognised here, it is way too easy to get. I know I can drive and can do the tests, but I actually don't feel like driving heavies for a living here, it's actually not fun, way too many rules, especially the tacho meters. You can be 20 mins from home but you have to stop for the night and sleep in your truck. And if you think SA traffic is bad, come to Belgium....The N3 has got nothing on the roads here when it comes to the amount of heavy vehicles. Belgium is basically a thoroughfare for heavy traffic to and from the harbours of Antwerp, Rotterdam and Amsterdam and the rest of Europe.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/04/18 at 01:17 AM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post: