Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: KTM 390 Adventure or Kawasaki Versys X 300

Quote Originally Posted by Flamand View Post
    Before I make my decision, I will first take a course and see if this whole thing suits me. Are they courses that provide bikes?
    BMW Motorrad offer beginner courses on their bikes (G310R), sadly not adventure bikes.

.... And some pain tablets and plasters!
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

I have a versys 300x and have been riding it for a year. Got it really cheap during lockdown. I do Jhb-hoedspruit at 120 easily often pretty laden, and ride off-road almost daily. I can’t wait to put decent tyres on it. I love it more every time I ride it. It also has the legendary ninja motor. It really is a super light, go anywhere, economical tourer, and is extremely versatile as the name suggests.

Seems you can get a KTM 990 for R100 000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210418-171258_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	612790
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Hi, I would like to buy my first Adventure bike. I am 1.90 m tall and weigh 118 Kg. It will be my first time riding a bike, so I do not have experience or know what to look out for. The two options in my price category are the KTM Adventure 390 and the Kawasaki Versys X 300. I will likely do a combination of long road and gravel travel, and the occasional trail. If all goes well, I would do weekends away. What bike would you suggest?
    Just trying to understand, you have never ridden a motorcycle, or you have never ridden an adventure type bike in an off road or semi off road environment?

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    Just trying to understand, you have never ridden a motorcycle, or you have never ridden an adventure type bike in an off road or semi off road environment?
    I have never properly ridden any motorcycle before.

What about a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere?

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    What about a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere?
    Excellent suggestion.
    Jaco Nell

if never ridden a good medical aid

I have never properly ridden any motorcycle before.
    I'd hate to be a killjoy
    I am fully supportive of experiencing a new hobby, especially adventure biking.
    But baby steps, get a small scrambler, get to grips with the concept of motorbiking, plus terrains then go faster, bigger and technical.
    My advice, start with a 250cc scrambler, your size aside, the bike will out perform your ability.
    Get comfortable and confident and then step up in bike size and performance.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

I'd hate to be a killjoy
    But baby steps, get a small scrambler, get to grips with the concept of motorbiking, plus terrains then go faster, bigger and technical.
    My advice, start with a 250cc scrambler, your size aside, the bike will out perform your ability.
    I fully agree that I need to first get comfortable and build up basic riding skills. I really am not in a rush. That why I though the Versys X 300 was a nice entry level bike. When I look at some of the reviews, its a nice all rounder, not too heavy, not too powerful, and suitable for some basic offroad riding.

Also remember at this stage you think you know what you want, and want to do, that will change.

Get into it first, then decide.

There are plenty of really good second hand bikes out there.

Again I have to reference what I know, but for example I saw an advert yesterday for a 2006 KLR 650 for R22,000 that needs minor work, the attachment below. If you do not know what you want I really think get something cheap, ride it for a few months and if you want to change you can move it easily and not be out of pocket.

Or look for a small scrambler in the 250 range, but you are not going get that for under R50k probably, and you will then upgrade at some point (probably pretty soon too).

The VStrom are awesome bikes, but remember they are limited in off-road/gravel ability, however you might not want that in the end, but if you do you may have to spend more money to make it more suitable, however if you going to be riding mainly tar and good gravel I will choose the Vstrom any day over the KLR.

In the end it comes down to the right tool for the job, but right now the job is undefined, and it will only be defined over time with experience. You might hit the gravel and decide you hate it, and stick to tar touring, or you might have tar and gravel touring and prefer more technical local routes. You really have to figure that out first.

I bought the KLR for several reasons, I wanted a Honda XR650L, but they were too expensive for my budget, I also wanted a BMW 650, same as the Honda, then I came across the previous version KLR, it is not really brilliant at any single thing, but it can do many things more than sufficiently, and my case I will run out of biking talent long before the bike will! I also wanted a cheap bike so if I do not ride it for weeks on end I do not feel guilty, ended up with a 2004 model that cost me R19000. It is chunky and agricultural, I can leave it in the garage for months at a time on a charger, it start every single time. In fact, my son rode it yesterday and it is probably the first time in over 6 months it has moved more than a few hundred meters, I did not want a 1000/1100 or 1200 bike, I rode a GS1100 for a few years, I wanted something a lot more nimble and lighter.

Spend some time on Youtube looking for the mentioned bikes, there are really good videos out there for absolutely everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dirk; 2021/04/18 at 09:40 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

I'd hate to be a killjoy
    i agree with this advice. I’ve been riding for more than forty years and still treat riding, one of my favourite pastimes, with the utmost respect.

Get the small scrambler and get used to the dynamics of two wheels. Once you’ve mastered that and you know you like it, it’s in your blood. Buy second hand as you move up, you’ll always get your money back.

All the advice on doing good courses and buying the best kit you can afford - couldn’t agree more.

The 650 range is a lovely size and I personally like the BMW 650 GS. I’m biased I know, I currently ride the 1200 GS and rate it as probably the best bike I’ve ever ridden, and I’ve ridden a few. But, lovely as the 1200 is, steer clear of that size until you’re happy on two wheels.

Good luck, I’d be happy to meet up for a coffee (where are you based?) and share 40 plus years of experience if you think it’ll help. Or pm me with pleasure.
    Last edited by Mike Greeff; 2021/04/18 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Typo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Greeff For This Useful Post:

The nice thing about the single cylinder 600's cc's is they actually have quite a bit of torque which is great for learning. You might find the BMW 650GS is a bit low but the same bike in "Dakar" guise is actually perfect for taller riders.

Another bit of advice (though not necessarily practical): consider taking up mountain biking and riding fairly technical terrain. The skills translate VERY well to a motorcycle (like controlling an unexpected skid).
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Have a look on youtube for the FortNine channel, guys done reviews on both the Versys and KTM, quite entertaining and informative. He's also done lots regarding the KLR, and that would personally be my choice. Big enough and torquey enough to get you around in some comfort, but not in any way fast and scary. It will also outlast you if its looked after well, and will happily take you many places that the others wont.
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2