Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: For those who served in Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    My klasmaat Muller Meiring het in 1988 gesterf. Ons het hom in 2014 GCB toe geskuif, dit was ‘n bittersoet dag.

Attachment 612740
    Respect to you all.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    Respect to you all.
    Tx Ian, the logistics were handled by class mates based in Bloem, some who served with Muller.

We just provided financial assistance and attended the ceremony.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

A fascinating read, thanks for the link.

I was at 1 SAI in 1984 for training and went to 4SAI in late 1984 for operational deployment. We deployed up to 61Mech in January 85 to be aflos for the Company that had deployed directly from Bloem to take part in Ops Askari, but we never deployed into Angola and after doing some regular Infantry work out of 61 in the Etosha area, we ended up being spread out at various bases instead.

I was stationed at 53Bn in Ondangwa and ended up in the Transport Park as a Pool Driver after my back injury put paid to hauling a grootsak around the shateen on patrols.
    We came back Stateside in April after a quiet tour.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

During the time period of the Lomba River skirmishes and those at Cuito, I was called up for military "camps" as the surgeon in the operational area. It remains unforgettable to have seen firsthand the effects of conventional war on the lives of young men.

Never forget the mauling experienced by the Unita troops, who by and large had to fend for themselves. Numerically they took the brunt of the casualty and mortality load and suffered terribly.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    During the time period of the Lomba River skirmishes and those at Cuito, I was called up for military "camps" as the surgeon in the operational area. It remains unforgettable to have seen firsthand the effects of conventional war on the lives of young men.

Never forget the mauling experienced by the Unita troops, who by and large had to fend for themselves. Numerically they took the brunt of the casualty and mortality load and suffered terribly.
    Stan, I am glad you mentioned UNITA. I had the privilege of serving with Angolans, mainly UNITA but also in support in the SA forces (212 Btn I think). These were very decent men, brave, ill-equipped in very hard conditions and with very little logistical support or protection (no casevac for them generally). They were not going "back home" after 3 months or a year or so; some had been fighting for 12 years or more, minimal salary if any. Vilified once they had "lost" and, I'm guessing, most ended up desperately poor or worse, many from having middle class lives. I'm nor even going to mention the "Bushmen".

It was a massively sobering experience and I have never been loyal to politicians or the "country" since, only the odd individual who impressed me; Constand Viljoen, Mandela and van Zyl Slabbert; maybe Zille and Tony Leon. I tell my kids; if your "country" doesn't want you; shake the dust from your sandals and move on. Life is short, try get somewhere stable where you can enjoy it as you get older.

Apologies for going off topic.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Stan, I am glad you mentioned UNITA. I had the privilege of serving with Angolans, mainly UNITA but also in support in the SA forces (212 Btn I think). These were very decent men, brave, ill-equipped in very hard conditions and with very little logistical support or protection (no casevac for them generally). They were not going "back home" after 3 months or a year or so; some had been fighting for 12 years or more, minimal salary if any. Vilified once they had "lost" and, I'm guessing, most ended up desperately poor or worse, many from having middle class lives. I'm nor even going to mention the "Bushmen".
    I'm busy reading "Chopper Down" by Carl Alberts and he says that when the EO guys insisted on having a chopper available for Casevac during a contact, the Angolans were completely dumbfounded as to why they'd be so wasteful of resources as to want to go and fetch wounded soldiers who were for all intents and purposes useless to the fight.
    The Saffers would go in to collect wounded and the Angolans had to load themselves into the choppers if they wanted fixing and offload themselves, too.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

CUDUS to you guys for doing that.

I will always remember the people i was with in the army. Special and sad memories.

Regarding the Angolans and bushmen fighting with us, i have witnessed some of them being "casevaced" and i have seen plenty of them in 1mil Hospital.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Stan, I am glad you mentioned UNITA.
    This UNITA thing really took root even deeper in my appreciation of the Angolan conflict, after we did a 1 month overland tour through Angola in 2016. My interpretation of the situation there made quite an impression on me, as it had not been anticipated.

I was able to see how that country had emerged from a bloody civil war, where UNITA is now the official opposition to the MPLA government. We travelled extensively in the areas around Huambo, Mavinga and Cuito where UNITA operated in the south. Many villages there continue to freely support UNITA and proudly and legally fly the cockerel UNITA flag. There are one or two ex-Unita soldiers in the Angolan cabinet. Although they lost the civil war, their country treats them with a degree of respect and accords them some freedom to operate as a political party. I was surprised!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

The problem I see here in SA is that the UNITA acceptance in Angola took a very long and bloody war to forge, and we in SA are not even at the preliminary stages of that level of strife yet, so what road must we travel for the ANC to accept anyone else as legitimate?
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2