Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Crossing the Namib From Kanaan to Meob bay to Walvis bay

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Back on topic, I have a question, I have a number of people saying the videos are too long, yet I cannot imagine cutting more out without loosing the spirit of it, any comments on the length of the videos? Keen to learn here.

The length is spot on Jors

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have found Namib sand to be more compacted and easier going than Kalahari sand.
    I found the round dunes to be more compacted and easier going, but depending on the wind direction the loose sand to be more difficult. The Kalahari sand is more consistent.

In one of the later videos I hope I can show the soft and hard patches on a dune. The prado was pushing hard on a climb and it was obvious it was not going to make it when all of a sudden it climbed on top of the sand and picked up speed , only to slow down again 30m on in soft sand.

None of the dunes that we climbed in the Namib was as loose and difficult to climb as that last steep climb on the big dune at Amam, I imagine Amam to be similar to the Waterford sand, I need to visit Waterford.

Video length is just right.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I found the round dunes to be more compacted and easier going, but depending on the wind direction the loose sand to be more difficult. The Kalahari sand is more consistent.

In one of the later videos I hope I can show the soft and hard patches on a dune. The prado was pushing hard on a climb and it was obvious it was not going to make it when all of a sudden it climbed on top of the sand and picked up speed , only to slow down again 30m on in soft sand.

None of the dunes that we climbed in the Namib was as loose and difficult to climb as that last steep climb on the big dune at Amam, I imagine Amam to be similar to the Waterford sand, I need to visit Waterford.
    Amam is easy compared to Waterford
    Only that one Dune that is a real challenge.

Thing with Waterford it is spun out. Mean cross axles and high middle mannetjies.
    You soon learn the difference between 0.8 and 0.6 at Waterford.

Also at Waterford many of the dunes has no run up. You need to start at the bottom of a Dune without the ability to storm or build speed. It is technical sand driving.

Maybe we should arrange a Waterford weekend

No intention to hijack your thread.
    Look at the tyers This is a 427 V8 powered Patrol. Look at the run up. This is Waterford

Last edited by grips; 2021/04/21 at 04:33 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Ek sien hulle is baie sag. Ek dink nie my standaard FJ sal daar veel regkry nie, dalk met n bietjie groter tekkies.
    Ek kyk na OME suspensie ook.

I have found Namib sand to be more compacted and easier going than Kalahari sand.
    Yes in the Namib you will drive long sections on top of hard compacted sand, even the dunes are sort of compacted, except the slip face where it was just settled and not compacted by the wind.

Both Kalahari and Namib sand are about pure quarts. And sieve analyzes shown no significant difference in grading. So particle shape should also not differ too much too make a difference there?!.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/04/20 at 09:39 PM.
    Johan Kriel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

The Kalahari sand is more red and feels finer and more heavy to me. The Amam sand is blown in strong wind and it the more coarse sands drop out of the wind first. The Adam sand feels more coarse.

In the Namid I found finer and coarser sands in different layers and on different faces of the dunes.
    In one of the later videos I explore that a bit.

Ek sien hulle is baie sag. Ek dink nie my standaard FJ sal daar veel regkry nie, dalk met n bietjie groter tekkies.
    It is not worth to change and modify a vehicle for a once off like Waterford. FJ`s does do good with 33 x 12.5 and a front locker if you plan to use it for serious dune driving.

TIn the Namid I found finer and coarser sands in different layers and on different faces of the dunes.
    In one of the later videos I explore that a bit.
    Yes, there are red dunes also. And very high dunes. At Sossusvlei you can see them, and further towards the sea are even higher red dunes. Some we had to do a 20km round trip to get on the other side of it.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/04/21 at 06:49 AM.
    Johan Kriel

The western side of the Namib dunes often get moisture from fog coming in and at least during September to April get mostly westerly winds.
    I could imagine that the Kalahari dunes are different, since they probably face different wind directions and don't get "moisturized" regularly.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Amam is easy compared to Waterford
    Only that one Dune that is a real challenge.

Thing with Waterford it is spun out. Mean cross axles and high middle mannetjies.
    You soon learn the difference between 0.8 and 0.6 at Waterford.

Also at Waterford many of the dunes has no run up. You need to start at the bottom of a Dune without the ability to storm or build speed. It is technical sand driving.

Maybe we should arrange a Waterford weekend

No intention to hijack your thread.
    Look at the tyers This is a 427 V8 powered Patrol. Look at the run up. This is Waterford

First time I drove Kalahari dunes was at Transboegoe many years ago with the Patrol forum.

I was still running 32" Dunlop Grandtrek AT3's on the Patrol. I was loathe to drop my tyre pressures too much, but learnt the hard way. I've always dropped them to 0.6 in the dunes since then.

Question - is that 427 V8 Patrol Tommie's ?

Dunlops at 0.6 bar just look totally wrong...

Name:  dunes.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  430.9 KB
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Good choice, I like the Old Man Emu suspension. Just make sure you choose the constant load rating. Often those who complain later that the ride feels worse than with the original suspension have gone for too high a load rating.
    Keep in mind, that the OME (and most other aftermarket suspensions) are the same parts used on Prado and FJ. The Prado is some 300 kg heavier than the FJ. Combined with the shorter wheel base resulting in shorter arm / lesser moment under certain circumstances. When in doubt, I would go for the lower weight rating vs what I would choose on a Prado.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

2 specific incidents in the Namib taught me a lot about the sand and taught me what to look out for, both of those happened while I was on foot and I will add some of it it the upcoming videos.

The first was when a vehicle lost some tupperware in a big hole between 2 dunes it was roughly 30m down, some of us had already passed through, but some of the vehicles would not make it through and they were working on an alternative route. I decided to run down the dune to retrieve the piece of plastic, but i was sinking deep into the dune with the sand pushing into my crocs and starting to burn the top of my feet.

I had to make 2 split second decisions, I realized that I would lose my crocs deep in the sand but I would need them for the climb out.
    I could not keep them on, and that I could not stop to take them off, so while running down I kicked them off my feet and each time I reached them I kicked them forward.
    The sand was very fine, loose and "soft" and seemed to be deposited on the wrong side of the dune for the wind that was blowing.

I reached the bottom, got the plastic and started climbing the other side with my crocs on again , but the sand was completely different , it was more coarse and the temperature was lower, so I had to take my crocs off again , but my feet were not burning and I could change coarse sideways till I found harder sand where my feet burned in the top hot layer so i moved back into the coarser loose sand.

The second incident was when I decided to climb a very steep high dune , so steep that I started getting scared of starting to slide down out of control as the sand was hard and I could not get enough traction to keep climbing. so studied the sand around me and found fine
    "soft" sand again to my right where i could sink my feet in to get traction , but my feet started burning, I could go 7 - 8 steps and then had to sit down to get my feet out to cool , get up and sprint some steps and repeat. I realized I would not reach the top like that so moved back only to find that the coarse sand was no longer hard , so I stayed in the little valley between the 2 and there I could make progress.

The main thing I learned is that our guides , both of whose dads had grown up in the Namib and had worked in the desert all their lives and they themselves had grown up in the Namib, know the desert sand like intimately, when they guide you through the desert choosing the right path through the dunes making it seem easy. It definitely is not easy. There was a few instances where a vehicle strayed off the " spoor", and often it would just sink into soft sand, even out guide would sometimes suddenly change coarse and if you paid attention you would see that he was avoiding a soft patch in the sand.

I will include my climbing of the dunes in the videos , I discuss the changing sand conditions while climbing, I found it very interesting, maybe other will as well. The View from the top was stunning, and it was not reachable by vehicle , not from where we were anyways.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post

Dunlops at 0.6 bar just look totally wrong...

Name:  dunes.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  430.9 KB
    The AT22's work well when deflated , they dont do that flat spot, they dont even appear to be deflated.
    I did go down to 0.6 on the most difficult dunes, but did most of the trip at around 0.7-0.8 as we were in high range at higher speeds most of the time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post

Question - is that 427 V8 Patrol Tommie's ?
    Jip Tommie`s Patrol.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Jip Tommie`s Patrol.
    Ek wou se dis seker syne gewees. Ek het hom net nie geken met daai "Kitchen" stickers op nie.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Episode 4 will be up tomorrow morning. Editing takes a long time and if I don't do it continuously now I am afraid I will lose the thread of the trip and it will just be a jumble.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Jors I love your threads. Think with all the trails and track you have built, you are a 4x4 icon.

I know the area you operate since I was about 4 years old.

I enjoy your videos. Have visited the Namib from numerous different angles.
    Always enjoy Namib trip reports.

So yes I love this thread.

Please forgive my comments on Sand driving. It is one of my 4x4 passions.

There is nothing that give me the kick Dune driving does even with stock 4x4's.

Subscribed.
    Weekend viewing sorted. Thanks for sharing.

Input always welcome, there are always more to be learnt, experience count a lot, and no matter what vehicle the most important component remains the nut that holds the stearing wheel.

On one huge dune where the GD6's could not master it and the V6's reigned supreme Hannes Kruger our guide took a 2.4 Hilux and quickly showed us how to do it properly.

Many a driver thinks it is only about the KW's and how he can push the accelerator just as hard as any other guy, but there is so much more to it.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast