Default LR Mechanic Boot Camp

Hi
    I own a 2005 Defender 90 TD5 and am interested in learning basic maintenance to keep her going.
    I have downloaded the LR manuals and have watched some YouTube videos to get an idea of what to do, but this is not the same as getting actual experience.
    Is there a training course I could attend or is there a Forum Member in the process of a rebuild or doing general maintenance who could use an unskilled apprentice?
    This would have to be after hours or on weekends.
    I volunteered to be a paying apprentice at my nearest Indie workshop but they are worried about Covid and won’t take the risk. We were talking about me assisting every Saturday.
    I live in Fourways.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ant

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I was unable to find a previous thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4Ant For This Useful Post:

Default Re: LR Mechanic Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Ant View Post
    Hi
    I own a 2005 Defender 90 TD5 and am interested in learning basic maintenance to keep her going.
    I have downloaded the LR manuals and have watched some YouTube videos to get an idea of what to do, but this is not the same as getting actual experience.
    Is there a training course I could attend or is there a Forum Member in the process of a rebuild or doing general maintenance who could use an unskilled apprentice?
    This would have to be after hours or on weekends.
    I volunteered to be a paying apprentice at my nearest Indie workshop but they are worried about Covid and won’t take the risk. We were talking about me assisting every Saturday.
    I live in Fourways.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ant

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I was unable to find a previous thread.
    Once upon a time there were a few attempts at getting people together for educational workshops, bush mechanics, recovery, etc. I know Peter Street and a few others put a lot of effort in to arrange one not too long ago, I think its a thankless task, lots of hard work and small turnouts.
    I do think weekends like that are valuable but you need the buy in from attendees otherwise they aren't viable.
    Last edited by Chopped; 2021/04/17 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks. I also recall seeing a bush mechanic type course a while back. However, I am looking for something less formal/organised where I can assist and also learn the ropes at the same time.

With the reach of platforms like YouTube, I'd suggest you get kitted out with a toolbox and get stuck into the smaller jobs yourself.
    You'll soon come to the realisation whether you have "the knack" or not.

Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

'People who believe the vaccination will alter their DNA should probably consider it an opportunity"

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE -- Sold
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2