Default Triton Athelete Upgrades

Hi all

I have a 2019 Triton Athlete. She has just passed 2 years old and I am wanting to start making some modifications. I hope this thread will not only follow my process, but gather some valuable input from the experts.

First up was a Brand Harrison mount with a 50A fuse. The plug was mounted in the engine bay and will be used for my compressor only. Used it twice already and works well.

Second will be dual battery system. I have had mixed emotions over the past week with the following options:
    1. Victron Orion-Tr DC-DC 12 / 12 / 18
    2. WRND 20A DC-DC with Solar

I have a Jurgens XT140 equipped with a Victron 15A AC/DC charger as well as a Victron 100/20 MPPT Solar charger. The purpose of the DC-DC is to:
    1. Run the dual bat with a NL 50l Weekender in the back
    2. Occasional fishing weekend with fridge and 2x LED lights

I fell in love with the Victron Bluetooth functionality. It is just awesome. So my first choice (would have been) is the Victron. But considering a fishing weekend with the laaitie and the solar functionality, I think the best would be to go for the WRND.

And lastly, I do not have space in the Triton for a battery in the engine bay. So I will need to build a box to be fitted on the back.

In addition I need to look at mounting the VHF radio somewhere in the cab. This will be a challenge.

And then sometime the next year (after Covid damage has been resolved) I will fit the canopy. This will come with more challenges. But more on that later.

Any input or advice will be welcome.

Karel
    '19 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete
    '15 Jurgens XT140

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Karel For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Triton Athelete Upgrades

You get dc to dc chargers with built in solar controllers, best of both world. Expensive, but worth the look?
    Edit, sorry I see now you mentioned the wrnd.
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2021/04/15 at 08:22 PM.

Default Re: Triton Athelete Upgrades

Managed to complete the DC-DC charge box the weekend. Still need to make labels for the plugs. But the unit is straight forward.

I decided on the WRND with Solar. Mounted in a small ammo box with inlet from alternator or solar. two outputs brad harrison for fridge and hella for light. I wanted to monitor the amps carefully so mounted the round volt/amp meter from 4x4direct. The amp meter can only go up to 10A which is fine as a 100W panel will be fine and between the fridge and the light its less than 6A maximum. With these gauges I can see if 1) the solar is charging optimally and 2) if my in out maths will keep me going for a couple of days.

Because I have the complete setup in my trailer, I really only want this for two days maximum in a small tent camp environment. So I am happy with the outcome and once the labels are done, the box should be fine. Will look at mounting the box on the back next. Have to find a way to keep it down safely.

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 18.04.12.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	613081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 18.03.56.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	613082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 18.03.45.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	613083  
    Last edited by Karel; 2021/04/20 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wrong pictures https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/images/smilies/huh.gif
    '19 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete
    '15 Jurgens XT140

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel For This Useful Post: