Default Caravan temperature reduction – metal roof isolation

With our Ratel being made of metal (as well as many other makes), how best to isolate the roof in order to minimize heat inside? The issue is mainly whilst driving, the enclosed van gets seriously warm and when having to setup in the sun. The roof is a huge area that transmits a hell of a lot of heat to the inside.

I’m after a more permanent solution, not get a aircon or pull a silver sail across the van.

Options I’m aware of below, but what really works, are very effective? Oh and does not look like … and devaluate the van.

1. Cover the inside of the roof with a layer of say at least 20mm polystyrene or equivalent material.
    2. Paint the exposed roof areas with a reflective substance, the areas not covered by solar panel(s). Normally this is white and how will a khaki Ratel look with a white roof, FJ style

What in you experience is the best solution and how to do it as a DIY jobbie?

Thanks for the help.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Default Re: Caravan temperature reduction – metal roof isolation

I think Sondor creates some products that are used in the automative industry for heat insulation - possibly having a look at their range might give some ideas?!?
    Ford Ranger
    Double cab
    Stock standard (for now)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christob For This Useful Post:

That silver foil they use in building roofing works well. I have that in my 1200 adventure bikes top boxes, glued to the roof inside. I can keep chocolate in them in the full sun.

Very light strong and can be glued into place. For my trailer, my lid becomes a table, so I can't glue it in place, but I keep it loose inside when the lid is closed.

Any of my vehicles, if I remove the ceiling for any reason - I put that stuff inside.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Why not install air vents so you get airflow into trailer when traveling and standing
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Lining the inside with cork tiles helps. They reduce the heat transfer considerably and also help alleviate condensation

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Why not install air vents so you get airflow into trailer when traveling and standing
    Airflow will help whilst on the move, whilst stationary we always have plenty ventilation, but the roof gets so hot you can hardly touch it.
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    May have problems with dust and water whilst driving.
    Paj Sport 2012
    3.2 DiD
    OME Suspension
    Long Range Tank
    F/R Roof Rack,
    Original OBD and Double Din Pioneer
    C-Tek Dual Bat & Solar System,
    Escape Gear
    Stofpad Bash Plates

Was sent this pic, looks "cool" . 20mm hi-density polystyrene used with a hardboard cover.

Now if I combine the polystyrene and the mentioned roof foil with a hardboard cover it'll be both functional and look smart
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ratel Roof.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	612413

This weekend I will swap the current 150W panel on the roof with a mighty 325W. This will cover slightly more of the roof, but what I think I should do is drill a few holes on each side of the panel to allow for hot air to escape (I will mount if on ~5mm foam strips with open spaces in-between, which will let air in from the bottom as well). The airflow is more for the panel than the roof.
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex

I know Louis oradba69 installed some insolation under the roof carpet in his Afrispoor Cheetah, maybe contact him.
    I would think some material on the inside of the roof would be the best option, you must just find the right stuff.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Was sent this pic, looks "cool" . 20mm hi-density polystyrene used with a hardboard cover.

Now if I combine the polystyrene and the mentioned roof foil with a hardboard cover it'll be both functional and look smart

Name:	Ratel Roof.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	612413

This weekend I will swap the current 150W panel on the roof with a mighty 325W. This will cover slightly more of the roof, but what I think I should do is drill a few holes on each side of the panel to allow for hot air to escape (I will mount if on ~5mm foam strips with open spaces in-between, which will let air in from the bottom as well). The airflow is more for the panel than the roof.
    Another option would be to install the reflective film on the remainder of the roof. I opted for the silver sail and reflective film on the sides as I like my solar panels loose. Speak to Romeo for from All outdoors (083) 397-8067

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Botha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post

White reflects heat. Might be an option to paint the roof white? Wil make a huge difference.

A layer of polystyrene inside will also helps, with and/or or a type of reflective layer inside on the roof, or heat reflective paint on top.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/04/20 at 12:05 PM.
    Johan Kriel

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Ruil die Ratel in op 'n Arctic addition....

Die dak op my Miskruier is so klein en met die sonpaneel wat weg van die dak gemonteer is, is die orige oppervlak wat son vang te min vir die kleur om 'n verskil te maak. Die paneel is op brackets so daar is ventilasie tussen die dak en die paneel wat ook help.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

On the very old Series Landy's there was a tropical roof option. It's a single thin plate on supports that keeps the roof in permanent shade and a roof rack can be fitted over it. Pic of my Series 2A with tropical roof near Elands Bay:

Name:	DSC01011.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	613093

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Dirk

Met al die rate hierbo is dit duidelik daar is geen maklike oplossing nie. Selfs 'n motor met goed geοsoleerde dak wat met toe vensters in die son staan word bloedig warm. Daar is nie raat nie. Om luginlate te maak vir wanneer jy beweeg is ook sinneloos. Daar is dan juis 'n waaier om positiewe druk te bewerkstellig en sodoende stof uit te hou.

Wanneer jy reeds op jou kampplek staan en die dak gelig is sal daardie sonpaneel baie help om die dak koeler te hou, dis te sκ as daar 'n lugopening tussen die twee vir ventilasie is.

Ons het al gevind dat die blink sonseil nie so effektief is soos wat ons geglo het nie. Sonder hom koel die wa baie vinniger af in die laatrmiddag as met hom. Met die seile se openinge aan die dakkante oop help dit baie om hitte binne uit te laat.

Ons is maar geskroef hier... tog bly kampeer die beste!
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Ek het n wit glasvesel kamper, is leefbaar binne oor die middag onder n boom, maar ook net net.
    Johan Kriel

I've had 2 Conqueror Companions. Both have a metal roof. I tried the polystyrene inside which works (sort of).

The only way to fix the problem properly is to put on a Safari Roof like the old Series LR had. Basically a heat shield. That will be the best and most permanent solution for the heat. Anything else will be a "Heath Robinson" fix - it'll work, but not as well as you want. And you'll spend double on trying to fix and change
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ubbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    I've had 2 Conqueror Companions. Both have a metal roof. I tried the polystyrene inside which works (sort of).

The only way to fix the problem properly is to put on a Safari Roof like the old Series LR had. Basically a heat shield. That will be the best and most permanent solution for the heat. Anything else will be a "Heath Robinson" fix - it'll work, but not as well as you want. And you'll spend double on trying to fix and change
    That Safari / Tropical roof is easy and cheap to make too. Thin metal sheet, drilled holes, spacers and screws / nuts & bolts. Solar panels can be mounted on it too. The advantage is the roof itself is permanently in the shade.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post: