Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Default Is it just me?

My son runs his own business, and has a separate business cellphone. If we're chatting over a beer, having a serious discussion, or whatever, if the business phone rings I fully understand the need for him to take the call. In fact, even he gets a personal call, I'm happy for him to take it, since we're face to face and can continue our conversation after the call; as long as he doesn't spend an hour on the phone.

However, yesterday I had this situation. My MTB is in for a major service, so I phoned to ask if it would be ready for me to ride this weekend. We weren't quite finished the discussion, but the lady on the phone suddenly said "Oh, excuse me I have to go - another call coming in".

Of course, this often happens in a social situation too - you're chatting to someone on the phone and they hurriedly hang up, saying "Sorry, I have another call coming in".

My question in both these scenarios is "How the hell do you know the incoming call is more important than mine?". I find this behaviour downright disrespectful and rude. We have caller ID and voice mail, surely they can wait until our conversation is finished and return the call?

Is it just me?
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Is it just me?

No, it's not just you.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    My son runs his own business, and has a separate business cellphone. If we're chatting over a beer, having a serious discussion, or whatever, if the business phone rings I fully understand the need for him to take the call. In fact, even he gets a personal call, I'm happy for him to take it, since we're face to face and can continue our conversation after the call; as long as he doesn't spend an hour on the phone.

However, yesterday I had this situation. My MTB is in for a major service, so I phoned to ask if it would be ready for me to ride this weekend. We weren't quite finished the discussion, but the lady on the phone suddenly said "Oh, excuse me I have to go - another call coming in".

Of course, this often happens in a social situation too - you're chatting to someone on the phone and they hurriedly hang up, saying "Sorry, I have another call coming in".

My question in both these scenarios is "How the hell do you know the incoming call is more important than mine?". I find this behaviour downright disrespectful and rude. We have caller ID and voice mail, surely they can wait until our conversation is finished and return the call?

Is it just me?
    She could have said ...PLEASE HOLD FOR A MOMENT WHILE I PUT ANOTHER INCOMING CALL ON HOLD THEN GET BACK TO YOU...then she could've finished the conversation and get to the other call...customer courtesy goes a way long way...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John.oosthuizen95 For This Useful Post:

Is it just me?
    I agree with you Rob.

A cellphone or telephone is nothing other than a tool to communicate with between two people.

The same principles of courtesy and respect that applies in a face to face conversation should also apply to a telephone call. When I am in a face to face conversation with someone and a third party comes along and starts to interrupt the conversation, I will politely ask the thirds party to wait a moment while I finish the conversation.

My opinion anyway.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Relatedly, when I am in a store speaking to a clerk, and the phone rings, and they answer it and help the phone in person while I wait. I took the trouble to come there, I was first. Have a answering machine if you donít have enough staff to help in person and answer the phone.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Was in my local Franchised Burger joint for take away order.
    You fill in a form and submit to cashier to capture your order and make payment. I was made to wait while she took three phone calls before she took my order and captured it. She didnít even acknowledge that I was there.

I should have walked out without placing an order but didnít feel like calling home to get a new order for a different restaurant.

I told her that it was not acceptable and havenít been back since.

Why is there such an emphasis on the importance of a call when a customer is standing right there?
    Baffling.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4Ant For This Useful Post:

Baie het die betekenis vergeet wat is respek

Is it just me?
    Spending too much time with GOF's?

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan Ďn man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daarís nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

Jip. Seems people on the phone is more important than the customer with cash in hand in front of you nowadays.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Ant View Post
    Was in my local Franchised Burger joint for take away order.
    You fill in a form and submit to cashier to capture your order and make payment. I was made to wait while she took three phone calls before she took my order and captured it. She didnít even acknowledge that I was there.

I should have walked out without placing an order but didnít feel like calling home to get a new order for a different restaurant.

I told her that it was not acceptable and havenít been back since.

Why is there such an emphasis on the importance of a call when a customer is standing right there?
    Baffling.
    What if you were the person on the phone, wanting to put in your order?
    Maybe one person taking only phone calls, and the other waiting on customers!
    I have seen the staff at a pizza joint juggling phone orders, customer orders, payments, deliveries and still have time to smile!

Let me guess, you donít fix your own wheelbarrow.

I must be getting old. The whole idea of sending a bicycle for a service is alien to me.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

WAJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4ant View Post
    i should have walked out after placing a massive order and leave her with the bill.
    ftfy.
    Die B staan vir Beneke

Is it just me?
    I also find it annoying, but I don't think I am quite arrogant enough to think that there aren't more important people out there than me...So, I tolerate being cut off like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

I must be getting old. The whole idea of sending a bicycle for a service is alien to me.
    Clearly someone believes that a bicycle is something that the postman uses. Depending on the nature of the service there are special tools required, certain shocks and forks have to actually be sent to the distributor to be serviced for example, even the bike shops do not have the necessary skills or equipment, technology has moved on.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Yeah... what kind of oil does it take?
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    Clearly someone believes that a bicycle is something that the postman uses. Depending on the nature of the service there are special tools required, certain shocks and forks have to actually be sent to the distributor to be serviced for example, even the bike shops do not have the necessary skills or equipment, technology has moved on.
    Bicycles have shocks.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Bicycles have shocks.
    Yes. Its cheaper than scrotox.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Big money in it.

Our previous complex, one of the owners was fully kitted to do this after hours and on weekends, he was very busy. Some cycles he serviced was like R3500 - R4000 per service. And people pay it. He made a killing, and it was cash in hand business. But, we digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_01 View Post
    I also find it annoying, but I don't think I am quite arrogant enough to think that there aren't more important people out there than me...So, I tolerate being cut off like that...
    You must have some collection by now

Cheers
    Willem Greyling

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

New

A few times before covid. I have been stuck at the back in a spares shop and in a takeaway place. After watching from the back, I eventually phoned them and placed my order, which was for collection.

The spares and food was sorted in record time, as soon as i saw it was ready, called from the back number is order x is it ready, i am here. i was out of there before the people at the counter had even placed their order.

So phones are a blessing in busy times! Just use it wisely.
    Last edited by K-9; 2021/04/16 at 10:46 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast