Thread: Rust

Default Rust

Hi everyone.

I just noticed a bit of rust just above my windshield (2015 DC Ranger).

Is this normal? Is it a cause for concern? How urgently should I get it resolved?

--
    Willem

Default Re: Rust

Quote Originally Posted by wibob View Post
    How urgently should I get it resolved?
    As quickly as possible.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

There is seam there and will spread rapidly if left unattended.
    I treated my old ranger with some sandpaper,rustbuster and touch up with earbud and paint.
    the only real cure is to have the windscreen removed and professionaly repaired.
    Next time insurance replace your winscreen,speak to your panelbeater.

Get it sorted ASAP

prevention is better than cure

once it intensifies and spreads to the other plate under that, the oxidation that naturally causes the rust to Ďexpandí pushes against the class and will cause it to crack.

my 07 was plagued by rust around the screen and I had it removed more than once but when itís going especially on the plates on the inside, itís hard to stop.

I must say, I am pretty surprised that this is starting on what I consider a fairly 'new' vehicle. I've only had it for a year and a half. My old Bantam had less rust issues after 10 years of use. I'm guessing my anti-corrosion warranty, after-market mechanical breakdown and short-term insurance will all be useless for this problem?

I must say, I am pretty surprised that this is starting on what I consider a fairly 'new' vehicle. I've only had it for a year and a half. My old Bantam had less rust issues after 10 years of use. I'm guessing my anti-corrosion warranty, after-market mechanical breakdown and short-term insurance will all be useless for this problem?
    That does look like stone chips and it started to rust.

Get it treated.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

See if you can find the anti corrosion warranty documents. I think it is 5 years. There is a couple of Toyota Hilux's and Fortuners on the group with the same problem and a lot newer. Maybe have a look at that thread for some advice.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=305277
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/04/14 at 01:53 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    See if you can find the anti corrosion warranty documents. I think it is 5 years. There is a couple of Toyota Hilux's and Fortuners on the group with the same problem and a lot newer. Maybe have a look at that thread for some advice.
    Yeah, 5 years.

So is this the kind of thing you can spot-fix, or will it be a whole mission to get the windscreen off and work on the whole area?

Also, is there a way from preventing it from happening again? Some kind of roof-wrap stone-chip protection or something?

The windscreen is glued , has to be destroyed.
    Replacement wscreens are not expensive for ford mazda . old shape wr.

So is this the kind of thing you can spot-fix, or will it be a whole mission to get the windscreen off and work on the whole area?

Also, is there a way from preventing it from happening again? Some kind of roof-wrap stone-chip protection or something?
    If the surface rust has not spread under anything yet and you can reach it, you can try a rust converter to slow it down.
    Remove as much of the rust as you can, then apply some of the rust converter. Once itís dry properly, apply some touch up paint to seal it a bit better.

Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnít spread

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    If the surface rust has not spread under anything yet and you can reach it, you can try a rust converter to slow it down.
    Remove as much of the rust as you can, then apply some of the rust converter. Once itís dry properly, apply some touch up paint to seal it a bit better.

Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnít spread
    I agree.

No need to get into a panic just yet. Follow this ^ advice and keep an eye on it.

The pic is not very clear but it only looks like surface rust - I can see no paint bubbling or chipping away at the spot.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    The windscreen is glued , has to be destroyed.
    Replacement wscreens are not expensive for ford mazda . old shape wr.
    Why does the windscreen have to be destroyed?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=305277
    Yup I had the problem on my 5 year old Fortuner as well as on other places. Got it fully repaired at panel shop and now have a strip of VPS fitted across the windscreen lip to prevent further stone chips and new rust spots forming.

I have posted somewhere a few months ago. I also have the same issues. Ford rejected my warranty claim. The say its a result of stone chips. I went to DALS and got a qoute for 15k to repair. I didnt. Will need to do something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    I have posted somewhere a few months ago. I also have the same issues. Ford rejected my warranty claim. The say its a result of stone chips. I went to DALS and got a qoute for 15k to repair. I didnt. Will need to do something soon.
    Exactly like someone else told me -small rust spots appeared at rim of windscreen glass- dealers blamed stone chips -not a single other 'stonechip' anywhere else to be found on front -sounds like Frod have a problem they are hiding.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski