Default Monitoring battery state of discharge / charge

So now again I am going to ask what are probably a couple of stupid questions.
    Maybe this will help other elektrickery ignoramuses such as myself in the process.
    What is the best (economical but reasonably accurate) way to monitor your battery status?
    I am speaking of aux. batteries for camping, overlanding or as backup power source during Eksdom outages.

Do I need a VOLT meter, an AMP meter or both to properly monitor "maintenance free" battery status ?
    If so, either way, where and how do they need to be connected?

This would be in the context of batteries being charged by mains 220 - 240 V A/C supply via a charger most of the time, supplemented by a small 80 W or so solar panel via a solar controller during daylight hours - sometimes simultaneously and in the case of a mobile set-up, while driving - the alternator charging via solenoid or other means.
    In dark hours could the mains charger be left on when power returns even if the inverter is still drawing power from the batteries?

So quite a few different connections involved.
    Add multiple batteries linked together to provide 12 V DC to a small inverter of (say) 1 000 W or maybe a bit more - but not hugely bigger.

Trying to keep costs down but effective and to provide a reasonably accurate indication for detecting SOD at any time, (even when busy charging or under load?)

So a few consideration there.

Apologies for keeping on harping on this subject but these things are beyond my ken and I need to protect my new deep cycle batteries to the best of my ability for extended life.
    (Batteries - not necessarily mine ! Although that would be a plus.)

OK - Again: Wait for it .................................................. .............................

Eish.

Apologies for that overworked "Eish".
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/04/12 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Eish apology
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Monitoring battery state of discharge / charge

I suppose this if for your removable camp setup which will do duty in the house as well as per your other thread?

If you want to monitor state of charge and discharge accurately, then you need something with a shunt, which is designed for battery monitoring.

A volt/amp meter will only give you an indication of what the battery's level are and even though these have shunts in them, they are not accurate.

In my vehicle setup I have gone the v/a meter route (x2) which more than sufficient meets my needs. It works on the principle of being able to monitor simultaneously amps drawn and amps supplied to the battery from alternator, AC or solar.

As long as he former is smaller than the latter, I know I'm good. To get an idea of state of charge, all loads must be disconnected and battery left for an hour or so.

But you'll probably need something smarter.

Saw a reasonably priced battery monitor on one of the threads a while ago which should suit your needs.

On my home setup I have a Victron BMV712 which is silly expensive, but worth every penny to me to protect 4 very expensive batteries.

There is cheaper stuff that works just as well though.

I'll find some pics.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

This is what I have done in the vehicle. And this was cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

I think the most easy set-up on the 12V side would be the use of a dual battery monitoring system like National Luna in connection with a CTek D250 DC-DC charger.

The Ctek has apart from the alternator terminal an extra solar port and includes a controller and the battery monitor gives you LED reading for the battery status.
    You just add the inverter of your choice onto the battery connection.
    It works for mobile as well as stationary set-up, best to install the whole into a ammo box and move it where you use it.

If you use it on 220V AC then connect an ordinary battery charger (Ctek has a variety of models working just fine with standardised plugs or battery clamps.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

It is now in process of conversion to a house based - non portable, small backup system - so no more alternator charging unless I were to run the vehicle motor and manually connect which I think would be highly inefficient.
    Could you send me a link to your cheaper, stuff that works ?

Your comment much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    I suppose this if for your removable camp setup which will do duty in the house as well as per your other thread?

If you want to monitor state of charge and discharge accurately, then you need something with a shunt, which is designed for battery monitoring.

A volt/amp meter will only give you an indication of what the battery's level are and even though these have shunts in them, they are not accurate.

In my vehicle setup I have gone the v/a meter route (x2) which more than sufficient meets my needs. It works on the principle of being able to monitor simultaneously amps drawn and amps supplied to the battery from alternator, AC or solar.

As long as he former is smaller than the latter, I know I'm good. To get an idea of state of charge, all loads must be disconnected and battery left for an hour or so.

But you'll probably need something smarter.

Saw a reasonably priced battery monitor on one of the threads a while ago which should suit your needs.

On my home setup I have a Victron BMV712 which is silly expensive, but worth every penny to me to protect 4 very expensive batteries.

There is cheaper stuff that works just as well though.

I'll find some pics.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

This is what I have done in the vehicle. And this was cheap.
    Neat setup, where did you get them?
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)
    Echo 4 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Neat setup, where did you get them?
    Bought them from 4x4 Direct. R196.00 per meter. Search (4x4direct.co.za)
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

I have also heard many times on this forum that these also work very well, R400 also at 4x4 Direct. Connection much easier.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

To monitor Lead Acid:
    All you need is a cheap volt meter attached to the terminals, the average accuracy isnt an issue due to LA step voltage curve. A decent voltage to soc graph during charge (chargers typical rate) and discharge (typical loads like fridges etc) is all you need, problem is these graphs are hard to come by and can be quite unreliable so to get the numbers yourself requires a few days of cycling and testing counting AHs. Also a basic amp meter at the neg terminal to tell you when the battery is really fully charged or not. LA is fully charged when at the correct voltage the amps flowing into the battery reaches down really low.These tools are cheap but can start to get expensive if you want remote long fistance viewing.

Lifepo4:
    Same exact as above except the voltage curve is flatter and requires a volt meter that reads 13.25 instead of just 13.2
    You also need to calibrate your voltage gear against a good DMM, like 13.25 on a cheap volt meter might equal 13.28 on the DMM.

Basically you have to learn how to properley read the voltages and end amps to get a good ballpark idea. The voltages during charge are the hardest to learn especially if the charge rate is small.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jman99 For This Useful Post:

Stop all the messing about. Just do this.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post:

A wee bit cheaper from Banggood than the Victron BMV:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dont blame yourself over past mistakes. Its like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km