Question steering rattle - colt

Hi.\
    Need some help or advise on the following: My 2004 Colt 2.8 has a VERY irritable rattle. It originated from the steering collom, right down. Had it checked out twice, and it seems to be caused by play somewhere down there ( not very good at the technical terms). It is right after he checked it out, but 3 days or so later the rattle is back. ( My friend's colt had the same problem when he bought it, and the dealer had the steering column replaced.
    New steering column is R6500 at the agent, and now loose parts available - its a sealed unit.

Anybody known how to fix it without spending $$$$, or where I can get a second hand one, or something. Just did a 2500km trip, and I'm about to burn it!

Thanks
    Dvan

I'm trying solve the same problem and I've so far located this. Check if there is any play (up and down) at the lower universal at the shaft that goes to the upper universal. This lower universal is covered with a rubber boot and is near the steering gear box.

Also check where the steering column enters the cab at the firewall. IIRC there are some bolts there fastening it to the firewall. On my Colt this was the cause of a rattle.

Good Luck

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Hi Dvan

Did you ever find a cheap way to fix this problem? It is as you say, a worn steering column. There is "dry bearing" made from nylon or something that the shaft turns in. Apparently this wears over time and is a common problem on the colts. Mine is still making the noise and I haven't yet found a cheap way to fix it.

Hi,

Mine also had a vibration on the steering. Check your PIT Arms...mine was worn and had to be replaced.

Default Re: steering rattle - colt

Quote Originally Posted by BotterBul View Post
    Hi,

Mine also had a vibration on the steering. Check your PIT Arms...mine was worn and had to be replaced.
    I recently bought a very nice 2008 Colt V6 with 105000km. It is in a general well kept condition with full service history etc.
    I also has the dreaded steering column rattle. On colder days it seems worse. When I put pressure on the steering wheel by pushing down on the bottom the rattle disappears. It is really annoying and I can't trace the source. Has someone maybe found an easy(cheap) fix for this?
    Funny enough, none of my previous Colts did this?
    Thanks

There is a ball bearing at the bottom of the steering column. I've taken the whole thing out of my Colt to investigate.

The steering shaft gets some play in that inner bearing race, that's where the rattle comes from.

Sadly there is no way to replace that bearing because it is crimped in place.

What I have done is put some generous amounts of thin super glue between the shaft and the bearing. This worked like a charm......... for a couple of months, then the rattle was back.

In my next life I would see if I could get someone to TIG weld that inner bearing race onto the shaft, should silence that rattle for good.
    '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB
    SOLD: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8

Quote Originally Posted by guido.e.koch View Post
    There is a ball bearing at the bottom of the steering column. I've taken the whole thing out of my Colt to investigate.

The steering shaft gets some play in that inner bearing race, that's where the rattle comes from.

Sadly there is no way to replace that bearing because it is crimped in place.

What I have done is put some generous amounts of thin super glue between the shaft and the bearing. This worked like a charm......... for a couple of months, then the rattle was back.

In my next life I would see if I could get someone to TIG weld that inner bearing race onto the shaft, should silence that rattle for good.
    Thanks, I will see if I can make a plan. Maybe some type of thread locker will work as well?