Cool Yokohama Geolandar G015 A/T All Terrain vs Cooper Tires Discoverer A/T3 vs .... ?

Hi all,

Preparing an overland trip in May / June to Zambia, I am looking at replacing the OEM Dunlop GrandTrek A25 with one of the following :

1. Yokohama Geolandar G015 A/T All Terrain :https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/y...02/2856018HG01
    2. Cooper Tires Discoverer A/T3 : https://tyrelife.co.za/TyreFinder/Ty...rmation/98/711
    3. other ? [preferably sub 4'000 Rd....]

What are your views / suggestions ?

Many thanks !
    Fats
    LC 200

Default Re: Yokohama Geolandar G015 A/T All Terrain vs Cooper Tires Discoverer A/T3 vs ....

What car?

Default Re: Yokohama Geolandar G015 A/T All Terrain vs Cooper Tires Discoverer A/T3 vs ....

Oooops.....

that would be a LC 200 vx-r : 285/60R18
    Fats
    LC 200

I'd go for the Geolander.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

Can contributors also motivate their choice please
    Julius Truter
    Walk by FAITH not by sight
    2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
    Snomaster 60L
    Overlander Trailer

cheaper, Same kind of warrantee. I have a set on one of my cars and very happy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

Can't talk about LC's but on my Jimny the Yoko's have been good.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I have Yokohama AT on my Subaru, had them on my Pajero and have them now on my Hilux as well. We do a lot of gravel and 4x4. They have excellent grip on wet and dry. Easily do 100 to 120k km on them. Never had any problems.
    I don't know the other tyres so I can't comment on them.
    Choose life

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

I have been pleasantly surprised with the road holding and general open road running on the Yokohama Geo's. I have them fitted to both my Ranger and Everest vehicles. Did a trip now from Nelspruit - Howick - Jhb - back to Nelspruit with the Everest and had no problems. We live in a farming community and Drive on a lot of Sappi Gravel roads that are not in good shape from heavy duty truck traffic and the tyres hold the road fantastically. They also performed well during our very wet season this year.
    Please, donít measure the size of the mountain; talk to the One who can move it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Not my personal experience, but that of a good friend
    I believe he had multiple issues with the std Dunlop rubber fitted to his 2.8 Fortuner from factory, including balancing, uneven wear, and out-of-round. Did less than 30kkm with them.

Replaced them with Geolanders and was very impressed. All above mentioned issues improved, and vehicle felt better when towing his boat. Now done about 40kkm travel on them.

I have coopers on my ranger. I dont like the way they ride on tar and how noisy they are. When its wet, its almost like walking on wet tiles. One has to feather the throttle lightly as any sudden shift in power will cause the wheels to spin a bit. If you pull away hard enough on a dry road then they spin as well. I dont like this, I like a tyre that grips and should be able to handle the power of the vehicle. Maybe the coopers are not suited to the ranger.

I've had G012s and G015s. Both good. Only issue is that I found the sidewall a little weak. Grip: Amazing on gravel and wet

G015 if you can find anyTwice now we had to fit something else as there was nothing available and they could not say when arrivals are due.If you damage one tyre,you will battle to find a replacement.Goodluck.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini