Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D250S Dual Help

Default D250S Dual Help

Hi, I recently purchased a Ctek D250S dual dc to dc charger.
    I have laid all the necessary cables in the car. But before connecting I decided to test and check the charger working.
    I connected the solar panel and source battery. Solar panel is pushing about 19v. Source battery measures 13.5v. These are the actual measurements on the ctek charger terminals.
    The solar panel light comes on, as well as the alternator light, but there is no power light. I'm not sure if its supposed to come on or not. Unless I can't see it because its so dim.
    When I measure the output terminals on the ctek charger, there is no voltage.
    Any idea why or how to address this problem?
    I removed the solar input to eliminate that.
    So I have shown in the pics below the 13.5v on the into terminals, but nothing going out, and on power light.

Default Re: D250S Dual Help

The power light on the ctek is definitely not coming on. Could this be the problem?

I can check mine tomorrow when the sun is shining to compare to yours.
    Choose life

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    The power light on the ctek is definitely not coming on. Could this be the problem?
    Yes the power light should be on when working right
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    So I opened the device to check the fuses.
    It seems the device has been worked on before, and you can see some components have been replaced and soldered and a big note saying RECONDITIONED.
    One of the fuses is blown and I guess this could be the reason for it not working.
    It s rather frustrating buying a device from someone who wasn't honest enough to admit at the time of purchase that it was a reconditioned unit or it had been worked on before. Had I known this I would not have purchased it. Unfortunately it was purchased more than 6 months ago and I've only now been able to install and test it.
    I'm going to scrap this idea and buy something new as I don't want the repaired unit failing on me when I'm out camping.

Is it worth buying the new black CTEK dc to dc D250SE? I see it does support lithium battery charging.
    If I'm going to invest in a new DC tonDC charger, I'd consider one that could charge lithium as maybe one day i go the lithium route.

Are there any other similar chargers I should consider?

I would fix it and test it. Use it as backup. In addition I would buy a wrnd dc-dc charge. Its cheap and effective with a lithium profile. I have mine for 4 years now and it never missed a beat.
    Thanks
    So I opened the device to check the fuses.
    It seems the device has been worked on before, and you can see some components have been replaced and soldered and a big note saying RECONDITIONED.
    One of the fuses is blown and I guess this could be the reason for it not working.
    It s rather frustrating buying a device from someone who wasn't honest enough to admit at the time of purchase that it was a reconditioned unit or it had been worked on before. Had I known this I would not have purchased it. Unfortunately it was purchased more than 6 months ago and I've only now been able to install and test it.
    I'm going to scrap this idea and buy something new as I don't want the repaired unit failing on me when I'm out camping.

Is it worth buying the new black CTEK dc to dc D250SE? I see it does support lithium battery charging.
    If I'm going to invest in a new DC tonDC charger, I'd consider one that could charge lithium as maybe one day i go the lithium route.

Are there any other similar chargers I should consider?
    2002 Discovery td5

Wayneman

Hi. You bought the unit from me. I did have an issue with the unit and took it into Ctek for repairs. I did not open the unit when it was returned to me from the agent who repaired it. As far as I was concerned it was repaired by Ctek and all was good. I used the unit for some time (maybe 2 years) after it was repaired. When you purchased the unit we spent some time together and plugged the unit in to test that everything was working. You now say that only after 6 months you have had the opportunity to test it. Given that it was working when you purchased it I can only assume you connected something incorrectly which blew the fuse. I reject with contempt your dig at my honesty and integrity.

Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab (Ordered)
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

Hi Gavin

I never mentioned your name on this forum, i did not belittle your good name publicly and it is not my intention to fight over this.
    I realize its probably too late for me to dispute the working state of the charger, and therefore I never contacted you directly.

When you showed me that its was 'working' I cannot say with my hand on my heart that it was working 100% because I didn't know better and I didn't have much experience with the device to question its functionality, and I took your word for it that all was good. We did not put a volt meter on the output ports to check that it was charging correctly.
    As mentioned in my post above, all the other lights come on except the power light.
    I can assure you that I did not connect the cables incorrectly.
    I could say the same about you that your also connected it incorrectly if it had to go in for repairs.
    The least you could have done was tell me it was a repaired unit, and then there was nothing to hide. I do feel slightly betrayed.
    Anyways, I'll write this off as school fees and I'll try get it repaired, and/or look at an alternate solution.

I don't wish to get into a mud slinging fight with you or anyone. Lets leave it be.
    I wish you a happy weekend.

On my unit in my old Defender, I accidentally reversed the polarity when I changed my setup - a pretty stupid move from me! Needless to say there was a loud pop.

Both fuses were blown. The unit is still performing flawlessly with the new owner many years later after resoldering in new 30A fuses. My bet is that if you replace the fuse that all will be 100%. They are pretty hardy units. Some suggest replacing the diode as well - I never did.
    Mike Lauterbach

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Try RTV repaires (012) 5677768 speck to Sarel he fixed mine a while ago, cost +- 250.00. Sent it to my supplier and the rep said cant help
    as i connected wrong . Bought new one 40000.00. Still got it in the box AND still using the old one which was repaired .

Just back from a trip on which my Ctek D250s went dead. Checked the fuses and they were fine. Had to connect the solar panel directly to the battery, and constantly monitore the voltage, to keep the fridge going. I lately used only the solar function of the D250s. Thinking to replace it with a Victron SmartSolar or BlueSolar 75/15. Much cheaper and it can be setup for lithium.

Fuse has been replaced and it still gives the same problem.
    I checked the fuses again and none of the are blown.

Fuse has been replaced and it still gives the same problem.
    I checked the fuses again and none of the are blown.
    Please check one more thing - not sure if this applies to the CTEK or not? Some units only connect the second battery once a preset voltage is reached, typically 13.8V.
    Mike Lauterbach

Thank you, I will check that

Which light are you referring to as the "power light" ?

I have not fooled around with mine for a few years now, but as far as I can recall you need a battery at both ends for it to work and they must be at working limit of the unit..
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

My D250 has worked flawlessly for around 10 years but if I were replacing now would go for the Victron system. Good back up from Victron too.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Which light are you referring to as the "power light" ?

I have not fooled around with mine for a few years now, but as far as I can recall you need a battery at both ends for it to work and they must be at working limit of the unit..
    Andy it would be the bottom left light. It is a circle with a vertical line through. Refer to the pictures posted earlier in the topic.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You connected the vehicle main battery as well as the solar.
    You did not connect your second battery (assuming from your volt reading in pic 2)

Your DC-DC unit will not give a voltage output unless there is a second battery connected to the system, only then will the power light illuminate and will the unit charge the second battery.

I also bought my ctek 2cnd hand off facebook and still going strong. The biggest issue on them is the max solar volt rating blowing fuses, just check that your solar panel is within the CTek spec
    Last edited by coetzer94; 2021/04/16 at 12:12 AM.

For the D250S the solar max is 22 volts?

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

WayneMan, did you give Sarel a call as suggested?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast