Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aluminium Canopy decisions

Evening guys, I need some advise please.

I've been toying with the idea of fitting an aluminium canopy on my d/c and have now decided to do it. I love camping and I've got my fiance into it more so for that reason too it makes sense. I currently have my RTT on the fibreglass canopy when needed, but the aluminium canopy will be so much better. I could fit an awning, have easier access with the side doors and the strength and practicality is better. We try to camp simple and light, just taking the basics and not making too much of a fuss.

Anyways, so now my problem... I don't know which canopy to buy. Ive been looking online and chatting to a few companies and so far I am very keen on the Ground Zero canopies made in JHB. The service has been great and the info online etc is spot on. The hardest thing though, is that being down in the Cape I haven't been able to physically see one and make sure it's as good as say the Rhinocab / RSI etc. I've looked at the latter and they are indeed very nice, but the GZ canopy is quite a bit more affordable and it comes with a lot of nice to haves if you go for the package they offer (sliding alumnium table, kitchen unit, roof tracks and I'd also purchase the ammo box slider. I already have an Alu cab drawer system and I put my fridge in place of the rear seats. So the set up will work well.

Has anyone got a GZ canopy or seen one and can let me know on the build quality to make my decision a little easier I'm the kind of person that never buys things unseen so its a difficult decision for me! I can get it to Hermanus with all those extras for the same price as a standard un-kitted Rhinocab for eg. The RSI canopies at 4x4 megaworld are also damn nice, but again with the same kind of extra's I'm looking at a lot of extra cash.

Any input or advise would be gladly accepted as always! Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun8500 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Aluminium Canopy decisions

I don't know GZ, but want to say that I am really very happy with the Bushtech that was already on my Isuzu when I bought it secondhand. It's up with the main ones (Rhino, RSI) from a quality perspective, but not as sleek and more old school looking. I have no idea what they go for but I have taken my canopy for it's annual "service" (10 years service included in sale price) and I was VERY impressed with their operation. Link to thread:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...62#post4500962
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Metalian canopies, Blackheath..

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaptein Jack For This Useful Post:

I have a GZ. Beautifully made by people that are proud of their product.

Suggestion - check the warranty on all the canopies you are looking at

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daniemoller For This Useful Post:

I would go for a Bushtech.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eli Stone For This Useful Post:

I'm also looking at the Ground Zero.
    Kobus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Cool, thanks for the info so far. I never even thought of Bushtech, I was looking at Bushcab. I have emailed Bushtech for a quote. Will compare all and make a decision... hopefully haha.
    Happy Sunday!

Hi Shaun, as a matter of interest what price have you been quoted for the Ground Zero? In 2022 we are hoping to do a 7 month overland trip in our Hilux DC through East Africa and need an aluminum canopy on which to fit a Bundtop or Alucab RTT. We too have a fibreglass canopy which won't do. We are also watching Gumtree for a decent 2nd hand canopy.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/04/11 at 12:39 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Howsit Ted, I'll attach the catalogue, they have a break down of the range and prices.
    I'm keen on the Mid Range Canopy, but the weekender package + the ammo crate slider
    The packaging is about R900 and courier for me to CT was R2500.

https://www.gzcanopies.com/catalogue

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun8500 For This Useful Post:

I'll add my vote for the Bushtech, am very happy with mine; however I can't speak for any other manufacturer. Lots of little extras, like a channel down either side on the inside of the canopy onto which I've mounted a "floor" over my fidege and ammo box slides using angle brackets. Internal load bars on the roof that take an M8 bolt head for suspending items from the roof inside the canopy. Two longitudinal rails on top of the roof, also taking an M8 bolt.

Done a fair amount of dusty travel (just come back from the Northern Cape), and with Bushtech's (optional) dustproofing around the tailgate had close to zero dust ingress. The also seem to use quality fittings (door catches, hinges etc.)
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

I'll also suggest Bushtech because it's what I know. Awesome quality and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun8500 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info so far. I never even thought of Bushtech, I was looking at Bushcab. I have emailed Bushtech for a quote. Will compare all and make a decision... hopefully haha.
    Happy Sunday!
    I have a Bushtec with some extras and am very happy with it. Should you decide on the Bushtec, there are a number of options and add-ons available. I cant remember the names of the chaps involved, but they were great guys and the service was great.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 4.2D SC
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 DC
    ZS5RJ / ZS6RJV

I've only recently explored alu canopies, and found that Gerbers 4x4 in Boksburg make some interesting versions, excellent bang for your buck

I fitted a GZ canopy in February. Had some issues with it, in fact, still have some. Their after sales service has been great but the fact that I live in Durban and not close to them is frustrating. To be honest, if I have to buy one again, I will probably not go with GZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    Metalian canopies, Blackheath..
    Had mine since May 2013 and have done at least one overland trip per year with it, RTT fitted etc

No issues, gets my vote.
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

I had one of these made and installed on my Navara

it is custom and you can spec whatever you would like.

FB

I am also close by to Riaan's shop view if he does not have one on the floor to show.

Alternative is Gomad also in the same area of Brackenfell.

Safari centre N1 city has gomad and rhino on display and tygerberg caravans has a Bushtec on display - all Brackenfell based

Hi I have a GZ canopy on my Isuzu from 2018 and had one issue in the beginning but they sorted it out. It was a small leak. You can also try Razorback Aluminum Canopies www.razorback.co.za in Cape Town. I bought my 270 owning from them great service and they courier it down to joburg for me.

I have a GZ canopy fitted to my Hilux.
    Very happy with the quality of the product and the service is outstanding.
    We have no complaints about the canopy and it has performed really well thus far.
    It has been on some very rough roads with many km's on heavy corrugations.

The factory is not far from my offices so that also helped a lot in deciding.
    I was able to go and see the products and factory for myself.
    This really swayed me to choose GZ and I looked at many options at the time.

If the distance issue bothers you too much, then rather go with a manufacturer closer to you.
    This will allow you to put your mind at ease and should you have any issues, you can sort it out at the premises of the manufacturer.
    CT manufacturers might work better for you.
    Someone mentioned Metalian and although I don't have a Metalian canopy, I do have a Metalian trailer.
    From first hand experience, I know the quality of their products is top and they have brilliant service.
    Definitely worth having a look at.

Good luck with your decision.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

27. The Following User Says Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

I recently fitted an aluminum canopy from Wild Accessories, as well as a dust kit, and roof bars. Cost me less than R20k. For a Ford Ranger d/c. No dust ingress or water leaks as yet, and I don't expect any. Visited their factory in Silverton, Pretoria. Friendly and helpful staff. Good product, considering what I paid for it.

I'll add my vote for Bushtech too.

I have the canopy and drawer system. Loving it.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast