Thread: Disco 4 tyres

Question Disco 4 tyres

Hi Option's and comments please, I need to replace the tyres on my D4 I am on my second set of Pirellis scorpions 255X55 19R.
    And very happy with them. My kilometers is 105626. Just had 1 tyres with side wall damage 1 back delaminated casing from the steel belt.
    The 1 front had a leak just come back from Tembe Elephant Park lucky had 2 spare from my first set in the garage.
    While at Tembe there was 2 other D4's one had Goodyear wranglers, and the other General grabbers. Both owners were happy with the tyres.
    At the moment there are no Pirellis scorpions A+. could be in a months time.

Thanks
    Hyundia Terracan 2.9 CRD Sold.
    Swambo's 2013 Landy Disco4 SDV6 SE
    New Hyundia I20 Auto run around
    2016 Jurgens Xplorer

Default Re: Disco 4 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by GORDY View Post
    Hi Option's and comments please, I need to replace the tyres on my D4 I am on my second set of Pirellis scorpions 255X55 19R.
    And very happy with them. My kilometers is 105626. Just had 1 tyres with side wall damage 1 back delaminated casing from the steel belt.
    The 1 front had a leak just come back from Tembe Elephant Park lucky had 2 spare from my first set in the garage.
    While at Tembe there was 2 other D4's one had Goodyear wranglers, and the other General grabbers. Both owners were happy with the tyres.

Thanks
    Good Year Wranglers best value for money. I am at 92k km now and still 15k left on it. With a lot of serious off roading, rocks and sand.
    It is a Defender, but still...
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

When you say Goodyear Wrangler, do you mean Wrangler Adventure or Wrangler Duratrac?

Both avail in the 19" Disco size.

I think they are quite different tyres
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

I fitted Hankook Dynapro after my last set of GY Duratracs. The improvement in ride quality is amazing. Have done Karoo gravel over December, a few trials afterwards, no chipping like GY did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

My opinion is stay away from the Hankooks (if they are the ATM Pros, I don't know about the MT's) if you are doing lots of gravel. I found their puncture resistance to be really poor (on both a Disc 3 as well as a Fortuner). Thats both sidewall and tread puncture resistance. They had me cursing in Damaraland and Kaokoland. But besides puncture resistance, I found them to be great. However, to me, puncture resistance is just about number one if you do a lot of overlanding.

If I had 19" rims (I don't, I have 18"), I would fit the Wrangler Duratracs in a flash (though as with any tyre, there are some bad reports). They might be a little noisy for you though if you mainly do tar.

Otherwise I think the Wrangler Adventures (with Kevlar) have some really good reports.

I currently have Achilles Desert Hawk XMT's on my Disco 3. Super-impressed, but they are a bit noisy and unfortunately I have had to do lots of tar driving in their lifetime, so the noise has been rather intrusive. A real pity: these tyres have apparently been phased out.

My next tyres will be Maxxis Razr 811's. But as far as I can see they don't come in 19" in South Africa.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2021/04/09 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added that Hankooks were great other than puncture resistance
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GORDY View Post

Thanks

There is apparently quite a shortage of 19" tires in SA right now.

How to you intend to use the D4?

If mostly on roads and regular gravel, Duractracs or Grabbers are fine.

If you're going to push it a bit, do trails with rocks, both are bad - you WILL get holes in the sidewalls.

There are two solutions to this, unfortunately both involve rim changes:

Compromotives, made in the UK.

D3 rims, which can be made to fit - may involve wheel spacers or "shaving off" some of the cooling fins on the front brake caliper.

The change to 18s opens up Cooper ST MAXX or BFG K02, plus several others, that have 3 ply sidewalls. A big difference.

I have put at least five holes in Duratrac sidewalls - but I do hard offroading, rocky trails, etc... In fairness, 2 sidewall punctures were on one rock in the Namaqua 4x4 trail - not my best day.

I have actually had better sidewall durability out of the grabber, but I think its just luck, really.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

I have 2 sets of tyres :

1) Goodyear Duratrac 255/55r19

2) BF Goodrich k02 265/65r18

I use the Duratracs for tar road and light off-road, and the BFG's for more serious offroading.

That said, I did Northern Namibia, including Van Zyl's, with the Duratracs, that was before I got the 18" rims. They were fine.

Happy with both, but if I could do it over I would use only BFG 260/60r18's, IMO the 265/65's are slightly too big.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much I do not do trails I tow a off road caravan done Kalagadi few times just done Tembe Elephant Park which we hope to do next year. So do not want to change rims so will stick with the 19"
    2016 Jurgens Xplorer

Gordy If I may ask, how many kms did you get out of a set of scorpions, 45 k was my max and I suffered a lot of sidewall damage?
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    Gordy If I may ask, how many kms did you get out of a set of scorpions, 45 k was my max and I suffered a lot of sidewall damage?
    My first set I got about 60k that was with one side wall blowout due to piece of metal falling of a passing truck. Second set which I am still running is on 45k with 2 side wall damage this last trip. The 2 replacements are from my first set which i used as casing spares on trips to the KRP.
    This was due to the first side wall damage I bought 1 tyre plus spare for the front. I should get about 10k from the old set. My D4 is at 105600Km.
    2016 Jurgens Xplorer

LR apparently recommends the GY Wranglers AT for the new Defender if you want to replace factory fitted tyres. Im using the 19in Hankooks Dynapros on my 2011 LR4 at the moment and they seem fine.

Tyre Search Results (goodyear.eu)
    Last edited by T54A; 2021/05/02 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Details

I use the GY Wranglers on my D4,
    Shop around when looking to buy, always try a few LR Dealership’s. They buy in big quantities of these and I have twice bought from them because their prices are excellent.
    Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

18. The Following User Says Thank You to royjacobs For This Useful Post: