Default Loud clanking soumd when car moves

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD Overland
    I bough t the car right before lockdown
    There was always this soft clanking sound but could hardly hear it and thought it was just something rattling somewhere. Could not locate it at all. A few weeks back we went away fror the weekend and coming back this soft sound has now developed in a loud clanking sound that is making me cringe. It only really starts at about 20 km/h and as you accelerate it gets louder and faster. It slows and eventually stops when you slow down and come to a stop. It is definitely not the transfer case as I was hanging out the passenger window while hubby drove and it sounds like its coming from the front axle or something somewhere there.

What is the easiest way to get this car up to check this? I need just the front wheels to spin but being all wheel drive this is a problem. Can I disconnect the drive shaft and just lift the front and do it that way or will it screw up some ratio?

Thanks for reading my essay.. will keep an eye on the thread.

Default Re: Loud clanking soumd when car moves

Quote Originally Posted by Shevach View Post
    There was always this soft clanking sound but could hardly hear it and thought it was just something rattling somewhere. Could not locate it at all. A few weeks back we went away fror the weekend and coming back this soft sound has now developed in a loud clanking sound that is making me cringe. It only really starts at about 20 km/h and as you accelerate it gets louder and faster. It slows and eventually stops when you slow down and come to a stop. It is definitely not the transfer case as I was hanging out the passenger window while hubby drove and it sounds like its coming from the front axle or something somewhere there.

What is the easiest way to get this car up to check this? I need just the front wheels to spin but being all wheel drive this is a problem. Can I disconnect the drive shaft and just lift the front and do it that way or will it screw up some ratio?

1) Check for play on the U-joints.

2) Check that the prop shaft is balanced.

3) Check your CV joints.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

I have experienced things like this before on my Raider SFA and thought it was rear diff.

Took it to Gearmax way back. They put it on a lift and lifted the car. Became obvious that it was the prop and this was repaired.

Also had my LC 79 lifted by a mechie to check for a diff whine. They listened with a stethoscope and found all OK. Also checked bearings same way + used a rod to 'listen' to the points for a grinding sound.

What I am suggesting is to get to a independent indie to lift the vehicle and to diagnose the problem. Safer and not expensive IMO.

I have lifted the 79 on stands to do it at home, but it is not as safe if your stands are not H/D enough. Ran the vehicle to see if I had the 4x4 and difflocks fully functioning etc.

A friend ziptied a gopro under the car to check for noises when under power, as he drove. Don't recall outcome though.

Read today that a chap with an M4 had a shudder that turned out to be too heavy application of copperslip by TWT. Saying that it can be strange things!

Shot everyone fpr the ideas. Im hoping to get some jack stands to loan this weekend so that we can have a look at everything along that front section. Unfortunately in East London to find someone with a lift system is a bit of a difficult one. Just wish there was some other way to het the car in the air and let her run like.

Will update the thread if I find the problem.

Also check for worn bushes...

Sounds like a front driveshaft CV to me. Just crawl under your vehicle and grab the driveshaft that goes from your T/Case to the front Axle and try to shake it with all your might.
    Should you hear even a slight rattle, its probably the culprit.

There are plenty of DIY videos on YouTube to replace the driveshaft CV and there are supplier here in RSA for the CV kit.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sahara
    2008 Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Base
    2004 VW Touareg R5 TDi Air Rear Locker - Facelifted - SOLD

It's Either You Get Your Hands Dirty Or Let Your Hard Earned Money Get Dirty Instead #4x4community

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Reg_Tonie For This Useful Post:

Remove the front prop and test again. Got a 2004 2,7 crd black pearl also with a noise. I removed it a month ago and didnt put it back yet.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

You could put all four corners on axle stands . Then go through a push and pull exercise underneath . I would target the front driveshaft from the transfer case to the axle . CV joints should give their clunking noise when turning and might make more noise when you reverse . At the worst take the front drive shaft out and go for a drive .Maybe swop a driveshaft from another WJ in and see if the noise goes away .
    Yes here in East London we WJ owners are not helped through no mechanics interested to work on them and the agents say " Thats an old car !! "

Shot everyone fpr the ideas. Im hoping to get some jack stands to loan this weekend so that we can have a look at everything along that front section. Unfortunately in East London to find someone with a lift system is a bit of a difficult one. Just wish there was some other way to het the car in the air and let her run like.

Will update the thread if I find the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Reg_Tonie View Post
    Sounds like a front driveshaft CV to me. Just crawl under your vehicle and grab the driveshaft that goes from your T/Case to the front Axle and try to shake it with all your might.
    Should you hear even a slight rattle, its probably the culprit.

There are plenty of DIY videos on YouTube to replace the driveshaft CV and there are supplier here in RSA for the CV kit.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.
    Pretty sure this would be the likely culprit and would be first place I would look. To check this you don't need to run the Jeep up in the air, just slide underneath and feel. My front prop TC side CV crapped itself on a trail, didn't realise it and drove home with a hell of a racket. Stoped on a number of occasions but couldn't find the culprit. Turned out to be the CV, they are known to fail in due course.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

So just a quick update. We had the front of the car up and checked the diff for any damage on the pinion gear and so on. All looked good inside there so sealed it up again. Big relief there.

We cannot see where the problem is but have found a mechanic that has a lift and thats willing to let us use it for free and have a look. I just want to double check something. A few people have said just remove the shafts and drive like that for now till I can sort out whatever is wrong with it or just get new ones. The car will just be 2x4 instead of awd. Can I do this for now? I have a SsangYong Musso and we have removed the 4x4 shafts from it but its not awd and the 4x4 never worked on it anyway. So no real loss there. I do not use Jeep in 4x4 at all. Was just a bonus when we bought it.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Yes you can drive it without the front propshaft. Im using mine like that. The jeep is rear wheel drive in normal. Small gearlever front and just drive like normal
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

So just a quick update. We had the front of the car up and checked the diff for any damage on the pinion gear and so on. All looked good inside there so sealed it up again. Big relief there.

We cannot see where the problem is but have found a mechanic that has a lift and thats willing to let us use it for free and have a look. I just want to double check something. A few people have said just remove the shafts and drive like that for now till I can sort out whatever is wrong with it or just get new ones. The car will just be 2x4 instead of awd. Can I do this for now? I have a SsangYong Musso and we have removed the 4x4 shafts from it but its not awd and the 4x4 never worked on it anyway. So no real loss there. I do not use Jeep in 4x4 at all. Was just a bonus when we bought it.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
    The WJ will drive perfectly fine with only the rear propshaft installed. I drove mine like that for months after the front prop grenaded with no issue. You may notice the tail being a little more happy in slippery conditions as the Jeep can no longer transfer power to the front axle when slip occurres, but it isn't a big deal.

No need to change anything in the short stick, permanent 4wd high as usual and off you go.

I speak under correction, but I think you could even drive with only the front prop and remove the rear in a pinch, but I haven't tried it myself.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

Did you come right?

I am almost 100% sure it's the front prop shaft. Same thing happened to me on the way to Mozambique - a hell of a racket. I had to remove the front prop and proceeded to complete the trip without any further incident (besides getting stuck once or twice because of no 4x4!)
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

I have run into a problem of a different kind. We cannot get the wheels off the car to take the front props off. Something bigtime wrong with the wheelnuts. Left front wheel has 3 different size nuts and this wheel as well as the back left wheel has at least 1 nut we cannot get off. Its just not giving. On top of this the back wheel we cannot get off is flat and now i cant put the spare on it. I have also emptied 2 cans of tyreweld into this tyre but its not inflating. Im so pissed off its actually funny..it never rains it only pours.

So now I have to get this flat wheel problem sorted first so I can get the car to someone to help me get the front wheels off...I will be replacing ALL wheel studs and nuts asap.

I will definitely update as soon as I can get these problems sorted and take the front shafts out.

I have run into a problem of a different kind. We cannot get the wheels off the car to take the front props off. Something bigtime wrong with the wheelnuts. Left front wheel has 3 different size nuts and this wheel as well as the back left wheel has at least 1 nut we cannot get off. Its just not giving. On top of this the back wheel we cannot get off is flat and now i cant put the spare on it. I have also emptied 2 cans of tyreweld into this tyre but its not inflating. Im so pissed off its actually funny..it never rains it only pours.

So now I have to get this flat wheel problem sorted first so I can get the car to someone to help me get the front wheels off...I will be replacing ALL wheel studs and nuts asap.

I will definitely update as soon as I can get these problems sorted and take the front shafts out.
    The wheels being seized is definitely a problem, but you don't need to take the wheels off to remove the front propshaft, just thought I would mention that.

Unfortunately I don't have good advice on getting the wheels off, all I can say is on my Jeep the standard wheel nuts had a "cap" of sorts on the actual nut, which could twist off and cause problems if it became misaligned with the actual nut on the inside, you could maybe try hammering a socket over the offending nut, it will destroy the cap but might help to get the nut loose. From your description it sounds like the previous owner may have had the problem and then ended up resorting to non standard wheel nuts...

Good luck, keep us posted!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

If you would like to try a penetrating fluid on the studs then a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF oil is very effective and works quite fast.

Note - Iím assuming that the studs havenít been cross threaded. Otherwise as previously suggested, youíll need to hammer a
    Socket onto it to get it off.

Heat the nut with a proper heat gun or small butane flame, a lot of times they ease up and can be undone.