Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Deep cycle battery advice

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Is the SMF100 a true deep cycle? It is marketed as a leisure battery. Is there a difference?

I always had good life out of them.
    Battery center's smf100 silver calcium is a marked as a heavy duty diesel starter battery[It is not a deep cycle battery in the true sense but because of the plate thickness it can be used a s both a starting battery and would work well as a inverter/ups battery[high cycle battery] ,as long as you don't subject it to high discharge rates[safe limit up to 25percent of total ]. From experience when used on the intelligent inverters [inverters with built in chargers and auto switching from eskom to battery and back during power failures this battery will give about 5 years service ] last cost, end march 2021 cash price just below R2000.00. Not totally sealed and comes with 2 year guarantee as a starter battery and on an inverter , 1 year. [only if you tell them].

A number of members have bought some of these.Not sure where the 24 months come in as the sticker shows 12. SMF100/101
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So thanks to a referral from the forum, I eventually bought a Royal 1150k 105A from Mike of Enviromental Energy for R1550 excluding old battery with a 12 month warranty. Although he stays out in Hartebeespoort he delivered it to my front door in Edenvale on one of his rounds. Used it last night during load shedding with my inverter and now on my NL smart charger ready for the next round. Mike's contact number is 0791590950.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Smile Re: Deep cycle battery advice

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    A number of members have bought some of these.Not sure where the 24 months come in as the sticker shows 12. SMF100/101
    Good Morning Ekkekan, I had two of these SMF100 (First National) batteries linked to my mains inverter (Mecer SOL-1-AX-3M24) which gave me excellent service....5 years + and were set to cycle down to 50% DOD. I replaced them with 2 Osaka Gel Deep Cycle 12V-105ah on same set up which have hardly lasted a year! SMF100 had a one year warranty as you mention, the Osaka's only 6 months (stupidly assumed all batteries had 12 months-did not check this pathetic warrantee) which should have set off alarm bells. Looking at replacing with 2 Vision Deep Cycle Sealed AGM 6fm100p-x batteries. Do you or anyone know much about these Vision batteries for inverter application...or would you recommend going back to the SMF100. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Good Morning Ekkekan, I had two of these SMF100 (First National) batteries linked to my mains inverter (Mecer SOL-1-AX-3M24) which gave me excellent service....5 years + and were set to cycle down to 50% DOD. I replaced them with 2 Osaka Gel Deep Cycle 12V-105ah on same set up which have hardly lasted a year! SMF100 had a one year warranty as you mention, the Osaka's only 6 months (stupidly assumed all batteries had 12 months-did not check this pathetic warrantee) which should have set off alarm bells. Looking at replacing with 2 Vision Deep Cycle Sealed AGM 6fm100p-x batteries. Do you or anyone know much about these Vision batteries for inverter application...or would you recommend going back to the SMF100. TIA.
    I don't know the Vision. I have been offering the SMF100 to forum members at a good price as they do work well for LS cycles. Too many unknown brands around. Also know of a brand being assembled in Botswana but they are so light that I would stay clear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Looking at replacing with 2 Vision Deep Cycle Sealed AGM 6fm100p-x batteries. Do you or anyone know much about these Vision batteries for inverter application...or would you recommend going back to the SMF100. TIA.
    I have heard of bad reports of Vision. I can't recall if it was their batteries or inverters but let me know if I should dig this info out..

Ek het 12v vision 120ah in my kamoer al vir 4 jaar en werk baie goed.

Ek het 12v vision 120ah in my kamper al vir 4 jaar en werk baie goed.

Morning all,

Any views on the Royal 1150 105A?
    Is it a high cycle or deep cycle?

I'm looking for something that will literally be used, "once in a blue moon" for my camp fridge.

The Royal calcium battery is a general purpose semi-sealed battery with a design life up
    3 to 5 years in standby service.
    Royal batteries uses specially alloyed calcium-lead, which leads to extrememly low levels of "electrolyte decrease". Therefore there is no need to supplement distilled water if the charging system remains error-free.
    Special liquid-gas separators keeps the electrolyte inside. An electrolyte is any substance containing free ions that behaves
    as an electrically conductive medium. These separators are also used between the positive and negative plates of a lead acid
    battery to prevent a short circuit through physical contact.
    No filler caps are required therefore there is no electrolyte contamination, overwatering or damage in use. Unique wrought
    lead-calcium grid design means less internal corrosion and efficient current conductivity for more power and
    longer life. It also cuts gassing, resists overcharge,heat and thermal runaway.
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/08 at 09:24 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Keep it charged. SMF100 to me is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Peter - I'm using 3 Midas chargers on the stand, like in full time, and like in they really get abused, and MUCH cheaper/reliable/robust than the CTeks I had many moons ago, and which packed up one by one.

My take on things........and based on a true story.
    Hi Petri

Which brand of Midas charger are you guys referring to as being reliable?
    Is it the Pro User smart chargers? Are all of them good or is the a specific one to steer clear from?

Then the Adendorff chargers, is there a specific one that is good as well.

I am currently using a NL 5 amp charger and it is working perfectly for the past 3 years+. the only hassle for me is having to change the the batteries from 24V and swap to parrallel 12V when charging the batteries after loadshedding. having a battery charger with about 15A would I believe still be able to safely charge my 2 x 100Ah in a shorter timespan and I can leave it connected at 24V.

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Is the SMF100 a true deep cycle? It is marketed as a leisure battery. Is there a difference?

I always had good life out of them.
    I would think it is not as it should never be discharged more than 80%. Also they have a high CCA unlike deep cycle batteries of 700A and can be used as starting batteries.

For what it is worth Fluffy also seems to like these .

I had a deep cycle as a cranking battery and it lasted 3 years.

Then I replaced it with another deep cycle, but this time with a solar panel on the roof. And that was probably about 6yrs ago. Still going very strong.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

So one month with the new home based Heath-Robinson type installation:
    All good so far, running PC, Screen, Fibre and WiFi routers, charging tablets if needed, 2x Tv with set top boxes linked to the WiFi router (Usually not simultaneously, but have tested with all on) and two LED lights for two hours at a time (So far).
    After the two hours the system recharges with that 12 amp charger within half a day, then about one hour with the small pulse charger (7 amp) only to top up.
    Probably not necessary.
    I have not even needed to use the portable solar panel which is in the box behind the set up in the pic.
    Since our load shed has been only after sunrise/set or on heavily overcast days - no use putting out the 90W panel.

I will test it when (Not if) we have a power cut again - but during daylight / sunlight hours.
    Then I will put the panel out and shift it every 3 hours or so due to big trees and shade issues.
    I am assuming that power will be drawn firstly from the panel and only shortfall from the batteries. (?)
    I think that it would handle up to 4 hours easily but not without a good break between outages. (?)
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Hi Peter

Also thinking about getting a Probe battery for my small Mecer inverter. Saw them at Brights today. Seeing they working well for you might get one for my system.

Anyone have any option on Probe batteries?

Also had the H/Duty ones so need to do some more research to see whatís the best for my UPS set.

My humble set up! Working well so far with the Royal 1150k battery and the old LC battery from the caravan!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210609_090428.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	618021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210609_090443.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	618022  
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkie Tub View Post
    Hi Peter

Also thinking about getting a Probe battery for my small Mecer inverter. Saw them at Brights today. Seeing they working well for you might get one for my system.

Also had the H/Duty ones so need to do some more research to see whatís the best for my UPS set.

Tekkie Tub

I have 4 of these batteries for load shedding. Had them for more than a year and they are still going strong.

Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab (Ordered)
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wedwo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkie Tub View Post
    Hi Peter

Also had the H/Duty ones so need to do some more research to see what’s the best for my UPS set.

Myne 3 jaar oud loop soos n bom baie gelukkig met Probe se battery

Puik battery loop al 3 jaar geen probleme
    Last edited by Boslover; 2021/06/09 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Nie klaar getik

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3