Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Deep cycle battery advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    Was that price including handing old batteries in?
    Yes
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    "Am thinking of the CTEK MXS - 5 charger .... "maybe" or maybe not.? (I have the 12 V "smart" charger from Midas"

I would really appreciate comments on this device or suggestions of (affordable) alternatives.
    Peter - I'm using 3 Midas chargers on the stand, like in full time, and like in they really get abused, and MUCH cheaper/reliable/robust than the CTeks I had many moons ago, and which packed up one by one.

My take on things........and based on a true story.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I agree with Petri

Even the Adendorf smart chargers are pretty good

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for the input on the charges as well - It will save me quite a bit if I can stick with the Midas one that I have (12 Amp with indicator dial).
    We will be doing the re-installation today.
    I will post pics of my Heath Robinson compromise when done.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

i had a willard for my trolling motor and it was the worst battery I ever used
    My previous acdelco battery performed twice as good as the willard..

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Peter - I'm using 3 Midas chargers on the stand, like in full time, and like in they really get abused, and MUCH cheaper/reliable/robust than the CTeks I had many moons ago, and which packed up one by one.

My take on things........and based on a true story.
    Thanks Petri
    I am going to continue using the old 12 Amp Midas job for now and when batteries seem to be near fully charged I will put on the small 7 Amp pulse charger to maintain or put out the solar panel with its controller it will not over charge the batteries.
    See how that goes.
    PS:
    I am not going to mount my solar panel outside due to theft concerns, being portable.
    So I will just put it outside as and when needed and during daylight power outages to assist the batteries.
    Not ideal but cheaper and safer.
    Money is almost always an issue this side.
    Peter Hutchison

Just a point to add to help against theft of solar panels. Get 2 x large steel pegs (the bigger the better) and knock them into the ground at an angle so that the ends meet. Get some one to weld an eye at the top on each and then you can lock your panel / s with a short piece of chain.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    i had a willard for my trolling motor and it was the worst battery I ever used
    My previous acdelco battery performed twice as good as the willard..
    I'm specifically asking for anyone with experience of the Willard 791 105A Leisure deep cycle battery or the Enertec? It doesn't seem like anyone here has any experience of these batteries.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

I'm specifically asking for anyone with experience of the Willard 791 105A Leisure deep cycle battery or the Enertec? It doesn't seem like anyone here has any experience of these batteries.
    I had an not so good experience. I bought one and it seemed nearly OK. Then 6 months later a bought a similar one. When doing load tests I found it had co capacity. I charged it and took it to the dealer. Showed him when using a 14A load. This was on the 70Ah version.

The dealer which is a very highly rated seller in Gauteng amongst us 4x4 solar guys decided to use my load to test a few of his new 100Ah batteries and found that within 5min they would drop to 12V. He then decided to return the whole batch.

Following this experience I bought a SMF100/101 from Battery Centre. This one turned out very good and because I can get these at a larger than trade discount I can offer this to members. These are calsium deep cycle batteries used for solar systems.

If allowed I can arrange some for members. PM for details.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Just a point to add to help against theft of solar panels. Get 2 x large steel pegs (the bigger the better) and knock them into the ground at an angle so that the ends meet. Get some one to weld an eye at the top on each and then you can lock your panel / s with a short piece of chain.
    Thanks for that.
    However due to trees etc. I need to move it around at least three times during daylight to remain in full sun, so ja.
    But an excellent idea.
    Peter Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    There are many brands

I do not like the Sealed / Maintenance Free type as I want to be able to properly service it myself (Monitoring Electrolyte levels and SG)

So if you are prepared to do basic maintenance on your battery the Dixon DC105DT is the most robust on the market:

https://www.dixonbatteries.co.za/105...wh-327x170x240

Else go LifePO4
    Ja-Nee! I agree. These SLA batteries are for those people not wanting to get involved.
    If you check out the real deep cycle batteries they are always wet batteries that you can equalize.
    This battery is the same price as any equivalent lead acid battery. It's time for me to check Dixon out..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Ja-Nee! I agree. These SLA batteries are for those people not wanting to get involved.
    If you check out the real deep cycle batteries they are always wet batteries that you can equalize.
    This battery is the same price as any equivalent lead acid battery. It's time for me to check Dixon out..
    But as was mentioned the battery in the caravan is under the bed and quite awkward to get to for regular checking and then what about the potential of fumes in that confined space while you are sleeping right on top of it?
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Is the SMF100 a true deep cycle? It is marketed as a leisure battery. Is there a difference?

I always had good life out of them.
    Kobus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

But as was mentioned the battery in the caravan is under the bed and quite awkward to get to for regular checking and then what about the potential of fumes in that confined space while you are sleeping right on top of it?
    Fair enough! In this application Li-Ion has got to be the best option.
    My comment is about lead acid batteries in general...

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Is the SMF100 a true deep cycle? It is marketed as a leisure battery. Is there a difference?

I always had good life out of them.
    As soon as the market gets hold of a buzz word that it can use and abuse they do just that!
    IMHO only the big batteries (Trojan etc. and those 2V batteries) are 'deep cycle'

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    There are many brands

I do not like the Sealed / Maintenance Free type as I want to be able to properly service it myself (Monitoring Electrolyte levels and SG)

So if you are prepared to do basic maintenance on your battery the Dixon DC105DT is the most robust on the market:

https://www.dixonbatteries.co.za/105...wh-327x170x240

Else go LifePO4

The flooded lead acid maintenance free batteries are quite servicable. (Not talking AGM or Gel, but normal lead acid "maintenance free" flooded/wet cell sealed lead acid batteries)
    Just pull off the top sticker, then you will see a plastic clip in cover, unclip this cover with a thin screw driver or other tool. Underneath this cover are the six screw in cell lids. Open each cell and top up with distilled water or check SG as needed. Raylite, Excide, etc, have individual screw in cell lids, Willard has a complete removable strip with all six plug in lids attached.
    I try and check my batteries every two years or so and then topup with distilled water as needed. The hard working Excide/Raylite batteries in the engine bay took about 30-60ml distilled water per cell after 2-3 years.
    My standby batteries about 20-30ml per cell. I even added about 10ml to each cell of my FNB sealed AGM battery, just enough to keep the AGM damp.
    Cannot vouch for all makes of batteries, but all my FNB, Raylite, Excide, Willard sealed maintenance free wet lead acid batteries, have been perfectly servicable.

Many of the little 7Ah UPS batteries are also servicable in much the same way and last a lot longer if not allowed to dry out.

Disclaimer - the below is my opinion based on almost no experience whatsoever.

For a battery under the bed I believe as other posters have said that a lithium iron phosphate battery is a good way to go.

No noxious fumes, apparently fire-safe (though do research this to your own satisfaction), charge faster, discharge deeper, last potentially much longer, less than a third of the weight. Can also custom build a battery to one's own specifications. Some innovative forumites have posted awesome builds on this forum.

Bigger upfront expense, including battery charger with a lithium option, but possibly less expensive and more satisfying overall. Chance of electrolyte leak if a cell is faulty. Apparently not suitable for powering a winch. Usually won't charge at very low temperatures.

Having said this, there are applications where lead acid is superior to lithium eg a starter battery in an engine bay.

This discusses advantages of lithium over lead acid.

Last edited by slodj; 2021/04/11 at 10:16 AM.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

As soon as the market gets hold of a buzz word that it can use and abuse they do just that!
    IMHO only the big batteries (Trojan etc. and those 2V batteries) are 'deep cycle'
    Without a doubt, there are a good few true deep cycles on the market. Virtually every manufacturer has at least one.

However, the market is screwed up by a great many borderline technologies and misleading information.

Other technologies aside, with lead acids, the difference between a high cycle and a deep cycle is simply the plate design, and mainly the thickness of the plate material lead coating.

A high quality heavy duty high cycle with generous lead plates may perform nearly as very well as both a high cycle and a deep cycle.

Similarly, a poor deep cycle may underperform in both cases.

Deep cycles are infamous for being particularly difficult to charge, especially from flat and prone to problems with overcharging.

High cycles on the other hand are a breeze to charge, sucking up every coulomb thrown at them, and very forgiving in every way, except that they don’t like being left discharged and will sulphate in a blink of the eye if left discharged.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/04/11 at 09:10 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

If your battery has vent holes, an easy and cheap solution is to visit a battery centre and get a 90 degree elbow with pipe to vent outside. Check if you have a cap on the one end of the battery else you will need one of those as well.

I simply drill a hole through the floor, fit a grommet and push the pipe through the grommet. Make sure there is no water tank, wires etc underneath where you plan on drilling the hole.

When last did you see corroded battery terminals It is not so prevalent as it was before calcium batteries came out.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Boslover waar jy hulle gekoop?
    Herman hier by ons eienaar van Battery centre sy kennis oor solar systeme battery puik puik puik

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast