Default Opinions wanted/needed

So my 2008 TDV6 is due for some fairly expensive maintenance.

1. Torque Converter
    2. Rear bushes and shocks all round
    3. Cambelt service
    4. Suspect front diff is on it way.

So on a car worth about the same as half a pie and small chips would you do the above or sell/scrap it? Car is now standing @ 306 000km and the motor about 145000km on it. Yes, I know they snap cranks and no I'm not in the least fazed by it, so lets leave that out of the discussion.

I really like the car ( Yes I'm weird ) and if only items 2 - 4 were due, this discussion would not have been needed. My problem is I know myself. It will not stay at the torque converter. With 300k+ on it the box will be closer to its end. So will likely while it's out also get rebuilt. Seems the transfer cases on these rarely give issues so will leave that alone for now.

I have my flame suit on. Let the discussion start.

Default Re: Opinions wanted/needed

Maybe I am just a sucker for punishment, but I would repair and keep.

Finances allowing obviously

Surely if these things break cranks the way people profess, then there are an endless supply of gearboxes lying around
    Last edited by Alan Eveleigh; 2021/04/09 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add on
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

FC ek was in selfde bootjie as jy my 1400 ratkas , dif probleme gegee vriende en familie het vir my gese verkoop die 1400 as is en koop nuwe bakkie uit einde het ek ratkas reg laat maak besig met die dif ek hou die 1400 hoekom dis deel van my en ek maak geen skuld nie sterkte met jou besluit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

_FC

Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    FC ek was in selfde bootjie as jy my 1400 ratkas , dif probleme gegee vriende en familie het vir my gese verkoop die 1400 as is en koop nuwe bakkie uit einde het ek ratkas reg laat maak besig met die dif ek hou die 1400 hoekom dis deel van my en ek maak geen skuld nie sterkte met jou besluit
    Vergeet om daai by te sit. Ek skuld niks op die kar nie en is nie rerig lus om skuld te maak nie.

Hou hom... Maak reg wat verkeerd is. En geniet hom

Mine is going in for torque converter on Monday. 260K km on the clock.

I tend to stagger the expensive work that can wait, my rear shocks have been on hold for a few months now.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabbiddog For This Useful Post:

I have the exact same model and went through the replacement of the torgue converter, arms and bushes etc etc. Travelled 800km yesterday with him - still runs like a dream. 314 000 km.

I am replacing him with a new car and he will be going to a new owner next week. I considered to keep him as a 3rd car for all the "dirty work" (dogs, building material etc) but it is just too much effort lately to keep everything in good order.

Total cost per month over almost 14 years, incl purchase price, interest, repairs, services about R3 100 excl fuel,tyres and insurance.

Difficult decision

Quote Originally Posted by Etn View Post
    I have the exact same model and went through the replacement of the torgue converter, arms and bushes etc etc. Travelled 800km yesterday with him - still runs like a dream. 314 000 km.

I am replacing him with a new car and he will be going to a new owner next week. I considered to keep him as a 3rd car for all the "dirty work" (dogs, building material etc) but it is just too much effort lately to keep everything in good order.

Total cost per month over almost 14 years, incl purchase price, interest, repairs, services about R3 100 excl fuel,tyres and insurance.

Difficult decision
    I have to agree if you can afford it then yes. But those who says it doesn't cost you anything hasn't done the sums yet. I had to let my XJ go last year it was a great vehicle and I put alot of time and effort into it but at the end of the day it cost me more in repairs, fuel licensing etc a year then what it was worth keeping. Not saying that I'll won't ever think of doing something like that again, but for the time being I'm happy with my choice. Working on the car was a hobby as well as 4x4'ing so that's also another aspect to considering as spending on Hobby is also a different storie.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    I have to agree if you can afford it then yes. But those who says it doesn't cost you anything hasn't done the sums yet. I had to let my XJ go last year it was a great vehicle and I put alot of time and effort into it but at the end of the day it cost me more in repairs, fuel licensing etc a year then what it was worth keeping. Not saying that I'll won't ever think of doing something like that again, but for the time being I'm happy with my choice. Working on the car was a hobby as well as 4x4'ing so that's also another aspect to considering as spending on Hobby is also a different storie.
    To me the answer lies in what was said above. If you need the car as part of your daily life, then I would repair and keep. But if it is a 3rd vehicle used for leisure only, I would let go.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    Mine is going in for torque converter on Monday. 260K km on the clock.

I tend to stagger the expensive work that can wait, my rear shocks have been on hold for a few months now.
    What is the quote on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by _FC View Post
    What is the quote on yours?
    I only got estimates, they first want to check weather it will be a recon or a new one.

I will hear on Monday or Tuesday, but it has to be done as I have put it off for a while now, and I am going on a 2500km trip at the end of the month and I will be towing.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Perhaps another viewpoint looking to the future.

Both the D1 and D2 went through the phase of becoming 'bangers'. Then as fewer and fewer became available, they started to rise in value again, as inherently they are great vehicles, let down by niggling quality materials and procedures at manufacture.

As time goes on, enthusiasts sort out the issues, the aftermarket steps in, and 15+ years after production, they are becoming sought after vehicles again.

This has happened with every Landrover model, including the Freelander 1 (which is now a desirable rallycross tool), so there is every indication that this will happen to the D3 as well.

So, if you are happy with your D3 in all other aspects, and your cash flow will take it, I would invest the money into the mechanical well being of your vehicle. After all, trying to sell it as it is, gives the potential purchaser the chance to beat your price down by half a pie....

my 2cw
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post:

_FC

I would have the TC done by ZF.They will be able to give a more accurate estimation of cost to repair and tell if the box needs attention aswell.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    I would have the TC done by ZF.They will be able to give a more accurate estimation of cost to repair and tell if the box needs attention aswell.
    Unfortunately no ZF agents in Bloem.