Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Fortuna handling - will they ever fix it?

I don't care who says what, I will only buy one of 4 cars, a White, Beige, Silver or Bronze Toyota. My beige 79 Cruiser p/u has yet to go back to the dealer for anything after almost 14 years and
    some of Africa's worst roads, my Bronze Fortuner is a soft roader compared to the Cruiser but so far no issues after almost 2 years besides some damage on a bad 4x4 track which the insurance
    fixed.

Handling of the Fortuner, not in the class of a Golf GTI but far better than the Cruiser and my old Colt and very comfortable at 120 km/h on a freeway. People complaining about the handling of it
    seen in the class it falls, must go for driving lessons.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    I don't care who says what, I will only buy one of 4 cars, a White, Beige, Silver or Bronze Toyota. My beige 79 Cruiser p/u has yet to go back to the dealer for anything after almost 14 years and
    some of Africa's worst roads, my Bronze Fortuner is a soft roader compared to the Cruiser but so far no issues after almost 2 years besides some damage on a bad 4x4 track which the insurance
    fixed.

Handling of the Fortuner, not in the class of a Golf GTI but far better than the Cruiser and my old Colt and very comfortable at 120 km/h on a freeway. People complaining about the handling of it

Toyota's Witness' diaken

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    fixed.

Het oom al die sagte plastics vervang?
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Het oom al die sagte plastics vervang?
    Verstaan nou nie mooi wat jy probeer se nie maar ja, die versekering het die sagte voor bumper en een trap reggemaak wat deel van die tupperware op die Fortuner is. Ongelukkig het al sy
    maatjies soos die Everest ens dieselfde tupperware. Al sagte plastiek op die Cruiser is die agterkant van die buite spieels.

You got to give it to the Fortuner guys.

They know how to roll with the punches.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

My BIL had a first generation Fortuner 10 years ago 4 of us traveled to Mosambiek while towing an offroad trailer.
    He always prefered backroads instead if the mainroads because there are fewer traffic stops as a result we did a lot of distance on very bad dirt and tar roads with huge potholes in them.
    The potholes in the tar roads were by far the biggest problem, they were deep, the edges sharp and hitting one would have resulted in broken rims or suspesion.
    Maintaining a speed of 80 and 100km/h and weaving from side to side was the only way to avoid the potholes.
    Because there is no regular pattern or spacing it required drastic avoidance at times.
    His car was fitted with BFs and Bilstein shocks otherwise stock standard.
    Not once did it feel unsafe or anywhere near the limit of the cars stability.
    After that experience I am 100 % convinced that if you rolled a Fortuner you were going way to fast for the road condition and completely overestimated your driving skills.
    After setting up camp we explored more back roads and the car did not suddenly feel unsafe because it was not loaded down.
    Coming back to SA we did more dirt back roads which were in a very bad condition due to heavy rains a few days before and full of ruts due to truck traffic.
    The two woman in the back did not say anything about the ride of that they felt unsafe.
    Again no problem.

I think the car is not the problem....the drivers are.

I know people that travelled the same dirt road, day after day, it is mostly straight with one or two "open" kinks in it they lost control and rolled virtually any brand of bakkie during the last 40 years in almost the same place.
    Was it the vehicles? no it was speeding and not paying attention to the conditions because they "knew" the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    My BIL had a first generation Fortuner 10 years ago 4 of us traveled to Mosambiek while towing an offroad trailer.
    He always prefered backroads instead if the mainroads because there are fewer traffic stops as a result we did a lot of distance on very bad dirt and tar roads with huge potholes in them.
    The potholes in the tar roads were by far the biggest problem, they were deep, the edges sharp and hitting one would have resulted in broken rims or suspesion.
    Maintaining a speed of 80 and 100km/h and weaving from side to side was the only way to avoid the potholes.
    Because there is no regular pattern or spacing it required drastic avoidance at times.
    After that experience I am 100 % convinced that if you rolled a Fortuner you were going way to fast for the road condition and completely overestimated your driving skills.
    After setting up camp we explored more back roads and the car did not suddenly feel unsafe because it was not loaded down.
    Coming back to SA we did more dirt back roads which were in a very bad condition due to heavy rains a few days before and full of ruts due to truck traffic.
    The two woman in the back did not say anything about the ride of that they felt unsafe.
    Again no problem.

I know people that travelled the same dirt road, day after day, it is mostly straight with one or two "open" kinks in it they lost control and rolled virtually any brand of bakkie during the last 40 years in almost the same place.
    Was it the vehicles? no it was speeding and not paying attention to the conditions because they "knew" the road.
    The shocks saved your bacon
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

No the Beacon was in the deep freeze, National Luna kept it safe.
    He only fitted the Billsteins after the a few years of ownership.
    Never complained about stability before that and living in Namibia they travel a lot on dirt roads if it was an issue he would have said mentioned it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawid Rabie For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    The shocks saved your bacon
    Lol, you cant drive a Hardbody and criticise the handling of any other bakkie or LDV sold in the last 20 years.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    Lol, you cant drive a Hardbody and criticise the handling of any other bakkie or LDV sold in the last 20 years.
    Never heard anybody complain about the handling on a HB, just crash test ratings
    Willie Knoetze

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Never heard anybody complain about the handling on a HB, just crash test ratings
    Probably because they didn't survive the roll over
    Wicus Diedericks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wicd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    O I walked right into that one didn't I
    Willie Knoetze

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    BUT THERE WAS NO ROLL OVER!!!, not even nearly, because it was a Nissan HB, not a Toyota Fortuner/Hilux.......
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/04/23 at 04:51 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    Again no problem.

In Eastern Africa where I spend most of my time, there are thousands of fortuners, both old and new gen. No complaints of rollovers despite the most terrible roads.

Surprisingly, there are many ramblings here and there about frequent rollovers in Prado 90 and 120 series. Usually due to that lower ball joint failure.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    In Eastern Africa where I spend most of my time, there are thousands of fortuners, both old and new gen. No complaints of rollovers despite the most terrible roads.

Surprisingly, there are many ramblings here and there about frequent rollovers in Prado 90 and 120 series. Usually due to that lower ball joint failure.
    Isn't the 120's lower ball joint a new design compared to the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Isn't the 120's lower ball joint a new design compared to the 90's?
    Yes it is.
    The 90 and 120 series accidents are more of a perception as they probally make up 90% of the SUVs on the roads in this part of the world (all ex-Japan Domestic Market), so naturally, an SUV accident will be any of those.

The 90s have the turbo intercooleed 1kz-te which is very quick. May be driver excitement and lacklustre maintenance too..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4