Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    1. Leave your steady day job
    2. Get paid peanuts from YouTube adsense
    3. Constantly beg and plea for sponsorship
    4. Work your tail off creating content for said sponsorship and get paid in product (almost never in money)

Jokes aside, I wouldn't trade my lifestyle for anything but don't expect to get lots of free stuff or make a lot of money from it...
    Chris, hats off to you, Ed and Ryan mate. You guys are creating great homegrown content and it's fortuitous for us that you guys keep going even if the monetary reward is not great

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Well I for one am seriously considering the Mini. It is either a new Bush Lapa which can sleep 4, which will set me back +- 120k or a solid, proper RTT. And given that the Mini will leave space for jerry cans / wood etc. it really becomes a good option
    It's a great option if you are, like me, averse to towing. I have 2 FR racks on the Hilux with the one reserved for loading our OZTENT RV so a RTT makes a lot of sense if not for the on and offloading before and after trips. Packing in our house is a one person jobs. The Swambos take flight come packing time

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

Well I for one am seriously considering the Mini. It is either a new Bush Lapa which can sleep 4, which will set me back +- 120k or a solid, proper RTT. And given that the Mini will leave space for jerry cans / wood etc. it really becomes a good option
    You wont be disappointed in either the iKamper mini or a bush lapa. Both amazing products! Happy travels

Camping and touring is about compromises, taking into account your available budget and the amount of effort you prepared to put into your rig. If u had an unlimited budget, you could literally live like a king in the bush. Each person has their own priorities.
    I like to keep it simple, while other people have a complex setup.
    I'm not Rockefeller, I'm the other feller, so I have to compromise on my setup, like many other people.......I also don't get to go camping as often as I'd like, so it would not make sense for me to spend R50k on a tent for maybe 1 or 2 casual holidays a year. My Howling moon RTT cost R9k when I purchased it. Yes its bulky, old fashioned, a mission to put on the car, takes about 5 minutes to open and maybe 6 minutes to close each time while getting dusty and walking around the vehicle 3 times cursing. But, its very comfortable, it keeps me dry and protected from the elements. I deal with what I have and I have no regrets.
    If I had the budget, yes I would probably try the best thing money can buy, such as an iKamper or any of the other fancier tents .
    I think most of us here have been through many tents in our lives, trying to decide which one suits us best. I own 4 tents, and each one has their purpose and place, depending where I'm camping and who is joining me. My wife keeps telling me to sell 2 of
    them

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperCreepers View Post
    Chris, hats off to you, Ed and Ryan mate. You guys are creating great homegrown content and it's fortuitous for us that you guys keep going even if the monetary reward is not great

It's a great option if you are, like me, averse to towing. I have 2 FR racks on the Hilux with the one reserved for loading our OZTENT RV so a RTT makes a lot of sense if not for the on and offloading before and after trips. Packing in our house is a one person jobs. The Swambos take flight come packing time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    You wont be disappointed in either the iKamper mini or a bush lapa. Both amazing products! Happy travels

I should have been more clear!!

Swambo just gave birth to mini Swambo nr 2!!! Till now we came right with the Bush Lapa Boskriek, a 3 sleeper. This will no longer be the case with mini Swambo 2. So my options are:

1. Sell the Boskriek - I will get what I paid, but will then have to pay in around 120k to upgrade to a 4 sleeper; or
    2. Buy a proper RTT. Mini Swmabo 1 and me will sleep in the RTT while mini Swmabo 2 sleeps in the Boskriek, until such time the girls are old enough to take the RTT and I can go back to the caravan.

I am leaning towards option 2 hence my requirement for a sturdy product that will last at least 10 years and is as easy to set up as the Bush Lapa.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Given my post above, I'll try to answer the OP:

1. It is a proper hard cover clam type RTT
    2. It is a lot smaller than other similar products, leaving space on your roof rack
    3. It is light enough so I can maneuver it on my own, without having to need a pully system to remove
    4. It looks good
    5. very quick and easy to pitch and take down

Above is just research for my particular needs as described above. Now I have to decide if it is worth the extra moola
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

The 1 minute setup opens the tent. It does not include opening the side windows nor make up the bed.

To setup our EaziAwn RTT took less than 10 minutes without hurry, which included a made-up bed, and side windows. Closing the tent took about the same time. The Howling Moon tents, which would have been my choice if I bought 5 years later, took about the same time.

No real time difference between 1 and 10 minutes, when compared to 30 minutes plus to set up a ground tent. The big negative for me with the iKamper is that you need to find space for your bedding inside your vehicle, negating the positives of a hard shell and low profile. Not to mention the thin mattress and price

Definitely not worth it in my book. Each to their own.

If I had to own another RTT, I would go with a motorised unit like Bundutop.
    Mike Lauterbach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

I can not comment on the IKamper as I have never slept in one but with Christof's review ...... it might be a bit short for me at 2,1m. In my book a soft shell RTT is a huge problem, no space for bedding and worst of all is the packing up and closing the cover on top of a vehicle. Mine has been taken off and will never go back on the Pajero, it worked fine when it was on the mini and having it at a reasonable height made things easy as pie.

A hard shell on the other hand ticks a lot more boxes and is a lot easier to live with than the softies, more often than not there is enough space for bedding inside and opening or closing is as easy as pie. These clamshell units are for lazy campers like me and are not crazy prices that one might expect.

Of course there is the top of the range unit in my book and one that I have worked on quite often and that is becoming very popular and that is the bundutop, probably the best and easiest on the market and one that I would gladly do a long trem review on (nudge nudge wink wink)
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Hard Shell all the way!

No packing up!
    So easy to handle in wind or rain.
    One of my best buys.

I had a soft shell on order years ago.
    Would have been a huge mistake.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I should have been more clear!!

Swambo just gave birth to mini Swambo nr 2!!! Till now we came right with the Bush Lapa Boskriek, a 3 sleeper. This will no longer be the case with mini Swambo 2. So my options are:

1. Sell the Boskriek - I will get what I paid, but will then have to pay in around 120k to upgrade to a 4 sleeper; or
    2. Buy a proper RTT. Mini Swmabo 1 and me will sleep in the RTT while mini Swmabo 2 sleeps in the Boskriek, until such time the girls are old enough to take the RTT and I can go back to the caravan.

I am leaning towards option 2 hence my requirement for a sturdy product that will last at least 10 years and is as easy to set up as the Bush Lapa.
    That has, indeed, clarified some stuff. I was like where are you going to get a BL for R120K? I think the Boskriek + a Skycamp mini makes a lot of sense. It also provides you with a quick setup if it just you and the significant other or when mini-Swambo hits the teens and they want privacy

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

Given my post above, I'll try to answer the OP:

1. It is a proper hard cover clam type RTT
    2. It is a lot smaller than other similar products, leaving space on your roof rack
    3. It is light enough so I can maneuver it on my own, without having to need a pully system to remove
    4. It looks good
    5. very quick and easy to pitch and take down

Above is just research for my particular needs as described above. Now I have to decide if it is worth the extra moola
    This is what I find confusing:

1) It isn't a clam shell. Its a hard cover but the ones I have seen still involve folding bits over bits and erecting windows.
    2) Agreed it is smaller but the issue of not leaving your bedding in there seems to negate this point
    3) From the specs they all seem to weigh around 50 - 60 kg which is heavier than some clam shells and definitely not light. My tent weighs about 50kg and there is no weight I would class it as easy to put on.
    4) I'll accept that.
    5) This is the one I can't wrap my head around, they honestly don't seem easy to set up and take down at all? Particularly given that bedding doesn't fit in there? I know iKamper says above that you don't need all the stays for the windows but that is like tent manufacturers that say you don't need the skull cap. Yip you probably don't need it .... right up until it rains

Having seen the replies I think the reasons most people like them are:

1) Build quality - They have only been around a couple of years so can't say whether they are better / worse / the same as other tents. I'm sure they are better than some but probably no better than others.

2) The looks - That's obviously subjective and depends what sort of value you attach to it. Perhaps a good honest answer that you are prepared to spend a premium on something which looks good.

I was in the Kgalagadi last week and I was shocked at the amount of money driving around there.
    As someone said earlier in this thread, if you look at some of the rigs and cameras, 50k for a tent is small change.
    What do 6 285/75/R16 KM3s cost these days?

A while ago I was looking at the Ikamper or the Alu-Cab. The Bundutop was just too bulky for my liking but was my first choice ( Initially )
    I used a Tentco tent once and sold it the next week. Was a PITA to pack up on a hot summers day at 11 AM in the morning.

Anyway, a friend of mine had fitted an Ikamper and I had a lie in it. Mattress wasn't great as many have said here.
    I then tried out the Alu-Cab. To be fair, the mattress wasn't great either.

To cut a long story short, after many many youtube reviews later, I ended up with the Alu-Cab.

Some reasons for me were, I could load on top if it, if I broke it, I could drive to their factory and get it fixed and honestly it just felt bulletproof.

I think both will do the job. The Ikamper looks nicer to me but that's neither here nor there really.

Recently up north I saw one Ikamper on a 4x4 Truck but the majority were Bundutops and Alu-Cabs.
    Last edited by Mypro-D; 2021/04/13 at 01:47 PM.

Out of interest there is an Impi for sale on the LCCSA for R9k.

Old tech but I have one on my 79 and with tweaks it is pretty good. Improved ladder and rigged the inside a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperCreepers View Post
    If I was to ever fit a RTT it would be the Skycamp Mini. Pity about the price though. When your cruising around Bots in you R1.3mil Cruiser and you R500k camera gear whats another R50K I follow Edward, Christoff and whatshisname from 4x4venture and enjoy all the content. Please keep it going.

P.S. Whats an influencer and how do I become one. I love free stuff
    500k Camera gear! I wish hahahah. Thanks for the support mate!
    Last edited by Edward Bath; 2021/04/13 at 04:31 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edward Bath For This Useful Post:

In my opinion, buy whatever it takes to get out of the city and into the bush/river/dam/beach.

We camp using a trailer and a soft shell trailer tent. My wife disliked the setup especially the hassle that came with the tent and awning, so much so that she did not want to go camping. Removing the sun baked cover, pulling out the awning, trying to balance holding the poles with the guide ropes while battling to get the peggs in the ground while the sun is beating down. It was just not pleasant and packing up took twice as long!

Now that we have a Bundutop and Bunduawn the wife is happy and I even more so as I get to camp more often and struggle less with setting up. It is the best money I've spent

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rudyb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    This is what I find confusing:

1) It isn't a clam shell. Its a hard cover but the ones I have seen still involve folding bits over bits and erecting windows.
    2) Agreed it is smaller but the issue of not leaving your bedding in there seems to negate this point
    3) From the specs they all seem to weigh around 50 - 60 kg which is heavier than some clam shells and definitely not light. My tent weighs about 50kg and there is no weight I would class it as easy to put on.
    4) I'll accept that.
    5) This is the one I can't wrap my head around, they honestly don't seem easy to set up and take down at all? Particularly given that bedding doesn't fit in there? I know iKamper says above that you don't need all the stays for the windows but that is like tent manufacturers that say you don't need the skull cap. Yip you probably don't need it .... right up until it rains

Having seen the replies I think the reasons most people like them are:

1) Build quality - They have only been around a couple of years so can't say whether they are better / worse / the same as other tents. I'm sure they are better than some but probably no better than others.

2) The looks - That's obviously subjective and depends what sort of value you attach to it. Perhaps a good honest answer that you are prepared to spend a premium on something which looks good.
    To be fair, I did say MY research (which is a little biased). In response:

1. I did say "hard cover" and not clam shell. The folding bits is the reason I like it. It means you have a lot larger sleeping area but taking up minimal roof space when folded.

2. Reviews I checked on the mini says you can leave bedding inside? Hell, what is bedding? a sleeping bag and a pillow Anyhoo, even if I can't, I'll just throw it in the Bush Lapa with the other bedding

3. the mini at 57 kg's is a lot lighter than the normal RTT's I was having a look at

4. Not sure how you come to this conclusion? Youtube videos I've watched, full setup is less than 3 minutes. Yes, the Bundu electric thingy (that looks like a brick when erected, so not sure how strong wind will hinder that!!) is faster and less of an effort, but again, I am comparing to normal RTT's.

FOR ME, the Mini is comparable to normal RTT's in terms of size, when folded and erected. This to ME makes it a very unique product on the market and why it ticks all MY boxes.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rudyb View Post
    In my opinion, buy whatever it takes to get out of the city and into the bush/river/dam/beach.

We camp using a trailer and a soft shell trailer tent. My wife disliked the setup especially the hassle that came with the tent and awning, so much so that she did not want to go camping. Removing the sun baked cover, pulling out the awning, trying to balance holding the poles with the guide ropes while battling to get the peggs in the ground while the sun is beating down. It was just not pleasant and packing up took twice as long!

Now that we have a Bundutop and Bunduawn the wife is happy and I even more so as I get to camp more often and struggle less with setting up. It is the best money I've spent
    Agree completely with this.
    We had the same type of setup originally and it became frustrating for us, especially when it was for short stays.
    When we changed trailers, we went the Bundutop and 270 degree awning route. Setup and take down is a breeze and our experience is all the better for it.
    Granted, we do travel at least once a month and sometimes even more than this so in our opinion, money well spent.

This post is not a punt towards our particular setup or to detract from other setups. It is about your own choice of gear for your requirements.
    There are so many options out there regarding camping gear and they all exist because each buyer/user has their own preference.
    If certain gear ticks all your boxes and you are happy to pay what the supplier is asking, then go for it.
    If you can't see the value in a certain product for what ever reason/s then find something else that suits your needs and budget.

The main thing is to be out there and enjoy the experience as much as possible, however you decide on doing it.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

So here are my initial impressions https://youtu.be/1HNCmSrtu8M

I'll do a full in-depth review after I've spent more time with the tent (6m - 1y)

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Having just watched Christoff's excellent video the quality of the iKamper does impress. Clearly a premium grade tent at R45K! The latches, skylight and shoebag were a nice design touch.

Tastes vary and there are huge differences in the way people camp and everyone has their particular favourite - discussions are never ending. I am a minimalist no doubt due to a hiking background and for me a true clamshell type RTT is Nirvana. Goes up in seconds no windows flapping in the wind - the least effort required. (Incidentally the Bundutop which I don't own takes 35 seconds!). I want to spend my time around the camp fire or game watching not setting up camp.

I am not fond of telescopic ladders - I have one which I use around the house - camping wise long term I would worry about sand penetration and overall wear and tear. Prefer a simple fixed sliding ladder.

The iKamper does score weight wise at 57kgs - the Bundu comes in at 73kgs (80kgs with the ladder).

What has not been mentioned thus far is that a crucial element with any tent is the level of support from the supplier. For instance I am enthusiastic about Tentco camping products due to their excellent support and that of retailer Camp and Climb whom I deal with. Spares and advice are available. I now own three and am about to order a fourth. Tentco have been in the market for a long time.

To be fair, I did say MY research (which is a little biased). In response:

1. I did say "hard cover" and not clam shell. The folding bits is the reason I like it. It means you have a lot larger sleeping area but taking up minimal roof space when folded.

2. Reviews I checked on the mini says you can leave bedding inside? Hell, what is bedding? a sleeping bag and a pillow Anyhoo, even if I can't, I'll just throw it in the Bush Lapa with the other bedding

3. the mini at 57 kg's is a lot lighter than the normal RTT's I was having a look at

4. Not sure how you come to this conclusion? Youtube videos I've watched, full setup is less than 3 minutes. Yes, the Bundu electric thingy (that looks like a brick when erected, so not sure how strong wind will hinder that!!) is faster and less of an effort, but again, I am comparing to normal RTT's.

FOR ME, the Mini is comparable to normal RTT's in terms of size, when folded and erected. This to ME makes it a very unique product on the market and why it ticks all MY boxes.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/04/14 at 11:45 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

To me the skycamp mini seems attractive, and while expensive, not completely out of the ballpark. the big advantage being size and weight.
    Alucab Gen 3.1 expedition, a fantastic tent, crazy easy to use, comfortable and durable with proven track record, is around 39 000. 230cm long. and 78kg. The mini sells for 6000 more (45 000) but is 57kg, and 145cm long. I guess that shortening of the tent by nearly a metre and reduction of weight of around 20kg brings RTT as an option for many vehicles that otherwise would not really be appropriate.

Hope I have my figures correct - think so!
    D

29. The Following User Says Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:

I can offer a different perspective a bit.
    Cost: iKamper is wholly owned US company whoís founder is Korean origin and they are made in Korea. To bring them to SA shipping costs / dollar conversions etc come into play.
    Comparision: National Luna fridges. In Canada where I live, they can be bought in equivalent Can dollars in SA for $800 Can. After import shipping / dollar conversion / Profit! They cost me $1500 Can. Aside from hassle it is almost cheaper for me to buy in SA and ship FedEx individually a 35kg box. But NL wonít do that.
    Differences: The primary market for iKamper is US. They demand speed and ease. Weather is a factor. To a certain degree tents designed in desert conditions have different criteria than US pacific forests / Canadian forests - wetter, colder in general broader range of demand.
    This is my consumer perspective. I donít blog/Twitter/influence etc social media.
    Iím a huge fan of Autohome Maggiolina. I have an Extreme which has been very good in Canadian Arctic conditions for durability and ease of set up. Most of all, the biggest deal is functional reliability. But without dealers in Canada and NOW must import from the US dealers. Expensive, yet iKamper made for US market by them still costs more.
    Alucab and Bundutop have US dealers $$$$!!! Imports and again dollar conversions, but Profit is a huge factor.
    I know for certain Rooftop Tents are the biggest fad to hit the market in generations for road tripping people. I also know people who have had them on their trucks for three yrs and never opened them. Fads will fade. Quality wonít, if iKamper ultimately has the quality they might be around as long as Autohome. But when I replace, Iím going directly to the factory in Italy and will pay whatever the shipping is rather than line the profiteering pockets of the US dealers.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cruiserpilot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast