Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 1468

    Default What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    While in Kruger I noticed how popular these have become. I must admit I struggle to see the attraction of these units but maybe I am just missing something?

    From what I know they are massively expensive, more so than any other RTT as far as I am aware? Despite this huge cost you don't seem to get anything more than with other hardshell tents. The set up and take down appears far more complicated than the clam shell tents and you have a number of spring poles that need to be put in to keep the window and door awnings up. Then from the videos I have seen they have a number of flaps that need to be pulled down to seal the fold joints.

    At the price I thought it would be more along the lines of a Bundutop where as it pops up the awnings are automatically pulled taut and once open you dont have anymore things to deal with. Obviously Bundutop's electric opening and closing is a polarizing point so I'm not referring to an expectation that it would be electric more an ease of set up.

    While I don't think they are bad tents I just can't understand how the lack of ease of use coupled with the price point makes them so popular?

    Perhaps its their social media presence and everyone now feels the need to join the hashtag?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    535
    Thanked: 227

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Spilled my coffee when I Googled the pricing on these...
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

    Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

    My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to CornellMans For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 189

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    When they first launched in SA I had a look and was immediately impressed. Then they mentioned the price and I just turned and walked away. They're great, but not the best. There are very nice RTT's at a lower price.

    I get the feeling some people buy it as a statement to say I can drop R50k on a RTT. But then again the only people I've seen own one are sponsored/influencers.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Age
    63
    Posts
    407
    Thanked: 324

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    It looks better, not like driving around with a toolbox strapped to your roof.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lappies Labuschagne For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,896
    Thanked: 3279

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    First time i have heard of these so i proceeded to the website and my first impression is that this is the i phone of RTT's

    when phrases like " double aluminium honeycomb tent floor" is used, you know you gonna need to pay top ZAR.

    looks light and easy to use.


    Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Benoni.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanked: 729

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    When they first launched in SA I had a look and was immediately impressed. Then they mentioned the price and I just turned and walked away. They're great, but not the best. There are very nice RTT's at a lower price.

    I get the feeling some people buy it as a statement to say I can drop R50k on a RTT. But then again the only people I've seen own one are sponsored/influencers.
    I am inexperienced with RTT, I only owned one for a short while but I also rejected that pricing. If you have it, go for it if you want to but I couldn't justify spending nearly what my vehicle cost on a rtt.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 35

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Not that I own any RTT (I do ground tent camping) from what I have seen one of the benefits I've heard of is that it gives you a lot of space once opened, but, when closed takes up less space on the roof rack than your traditional RTT. Perhaps that could be the reason? I could be be 100% wrong so don't quote me. But even if I am right, the price is massive.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Juddvdb For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    When they first launched in SA I had a look and was immediately impressed. Then they mentioned the price and I just turned and walked away. They're great, but not the best. There are very nice RTT's at a lower price.

    I get the feeling some people buy it as a statement to say I can drop R50k on a RTT. But then again the only people I've seen own one are sponsored/influencers.
    I can’t help but think you are talking about my page here, I don’t want to make this thread about sponsorship but I feel it’s a common misconception that all social media influencers get everything sponsored and are forced to only say good things about a product. I dropped nearly 50K on an ikamper because I’ve used an entry level RTT and my experience with it was awful. I spend nearly 7 months of the year out in the bush and simply cannot have an essential piece of gear like that fail on me so that’s why I bought the ikamper. The quick setup, quality and the fact that myself and my dad can remove it from the roof of the vehicle with it weighing in at around 50KGs were the selling points for me. 50K for a product that feels like it will last forever isn’t a bad investment in my opinion and there are plenty of other great RTT’s out there if an ikamper isn’t the one you want to go for. Thinking it’s a status symbol because someone spends their hard earned money on a product that they want seems extremely ignorant to be honest. Social media influencers are certainly not the only ones running around with Ikamper’s either. You have to ask yourself, if at such a high price tag why are there so many people using them? There must be a good enough reason.
    Last edited by Edward Bath; 2021/04/09 at 08:08 PM.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Edward Bath For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 2045

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    The big one is HUGE and for a family with a few small kids it can work - I know a couple who sleep in it with their 2 kids.

    it’s NOT light.

    The mattress is horrible- unusable in my opinion - can be fixed with a topper, but there isn’t enough room in the tent so has to be stored in the vehicle, which is a deal killer to me.

    Though smaller - the bundutop is a far better product at much less money. The only reason to go for the big one is to sleep more than 2.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/04/09 at 08:17 PM.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    77
    Posts
    9,648
    Thanked: 1336

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Bundutop certainly the leader now.
    If I bought again would be my first choice.
    Friends who have them are really impressed.

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    40
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Hi Everyone,

    My name is Jason and I own iKamper in South Africa, I saw this thread and wanted to clear up a few things that are not quite correct.
    I by no means have anything against anyone here or the products in question but at the same time would rather help with the facts and then answer any questions you guys might have.

    First, I think we should compare apples with apples, the bundutop Standard is their two-man tent and weighs 80kgs, the iKamper Skycamp 2X is our 2-man equivalent and is 55kgs. The 2X can accommodate a thicker mattress if you need it and all your bedding can be left inside the tent when it is closed. The setup time is around 1min and the take down around 1min30, the spring rods for the windows are not a requirement for you to sleep in it, they are more of an option if you need or want to put them in.

    All our tents are low profile and shaped in such a way to reduce wind noise and fuel consumption. They all come with a 2-year warranty and another 3 years where we will only charge you at factory cost for a replacement part.

    Skycamp 2.0 is our 4-man tent (i.e. 2 adults and 2 kids) this tent comes in at 75kgs and looks much the same as the 2X when closed. When it opens you have a king size bed, yes in the case of this tent you cannot add a thicker mattress and you cannot store much in the way of bedding inside when it is closed. We have a fold out floor and half of the mattress that needs to go back inside, and this takes up most of the room. Yes, we could have made the shell higher but that would have affected the wind noise, looks and fuel consumption so the compromise is that yes you need to take some bedding out, but you can sleep 4 people and do not need to buy another whole tent. The setup time is the same as the 2X but yes you will need to make your bed up.

    The Skycamp Mini is our 2-man version of the Skycamp 2.0, it works in the same way but takes up much less room on your rack leaving space for things like jerry cans or water. It weighs in at 55kgs and is aimed at that SUV owner that wants a hard shell RTT but also needs to carry extra fuel.

    Ok the big one, yes, they are an expensive tent, the most expensive in SA at the moment but our quality if not the best is very close to the best on the market today. It is an imported product and is affected by the dollar rate and import duties. There are other options as you know like the bundutop, quick pitch and Alu-cab that are good tents and all have their place in the market just like ours.

    We have two brand ambassadors in SA, and we refer to them in this way because they are not there to be influencers. They are chosen to represent iKamper and what we believe in.
    Edward Bath is one and he paid full price for his Skycamp 2X and then was sponsored his Skycamp Mini.
    The other ambassador is still to be announced which will be this coming week.
    Everyone else that has one of our products paid for it.

    I hope that helps or clears a few things up, I am happy to answer any other questions you might have right here, or you are very welcome to email or WhatsApp me at the details below.
    @ [email protected]
    WAB: 087 802 2179
    Ford Ranger 3.2


  18. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 159

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    The thing is with influencers/utube vloggers, you get an informed view of the product, how it lasts/withstands the elements.

    If you need to compare equipment, uTube is the place, you get a much better review/advice than asking on the forum, which normally turns into a argument.

    I don't mind them getting sponsored.

  19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred56 For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 2045

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaks105 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    My name is Jason and I own iKamper in South Africa, I saw this thread and wanted to clear up a few things that are not quite correct.
    I by no means have anything against anyone here or the products in question but at the same time would rather help with the facts and then answer any questions you guys might have.

    First, I think we should compare apples with apples, the bundutop Standard is their two-man tent and weighs 80kgs, the iKamper Skycamp 2X is our 2-man equivalent and is 55kgs. The 2X can accommodate a thicker mattress if you need it and all your bedding can be left inside the tent when it is closed. The setup time is around 1min and the take down around 1min30, the spring rods for the windows are not a requirement for you to sleep in it, they are more of an option if you need or want to put them in.

    All our tents are low profile and shaped in such a way to reduce wind noise and fuel consumption. They all come with a 2-year warranty and another 3 years where we will only charge you at factory cost for a replacement part.

    Skycamp 2.0 is our 4-man tent (i.e. 2 adults and 2 kids) this tent comes in at 75kgs and looks much the same as the 2X when closed. When it opens you have a king size bed, yes in the case of this tent you cannot add a thicker mattress and you cannot store much in the way of bedding inside when it is closed. We have a fold out floor and half of the mattress that needs to go back inside, and this takes up most of the room. Yes, we could have made the shell higher but that would have affected the wind noise, looks and fuel consumption so the compromise is that yes you need to take some bedding out, but you can sleep 4 people and do not need to buy another whole tent. The setup time is the same as the 2X but yes you will need to make your bed up.

    The Skycamp Mini is our 2-man version of the Skycamp 2.0, it works in the same way but takes up much less room on your rack leaving space for things like jerry cans or water. It weighs in at 55kgs and is aimed at that SUV owner that wants a hard shell RTT but also needs to carry extra fuel.

    Ok the big one, yes, they are an expensive tent, the most expensive in SA at the moment but our quality if not the best is very close to the best on the market today. It is an imported product and is affected by the dollar rate and import duties. There are other options as you know like the bundutop, quick pitch and Alu-cab that are good tents and all have their place in the market just like ours.

    We have two brand ambassadors in SA, and we refer to them in this way because they are not there to be influencers. They are chosen to represent iKamper and what we believe in.
    Edward Bath is one and he paid full price for his Skycamp 2X and then was sponsored his Skycamp Mini.
    The other ambassador is still to be announced which will be this coming week.
    Everyone else that has one of our products paid for it.

    I hope that helps or clears a few things up, I am happy to answer any other questions you might have right here, or you are very welcome to email or WhatsApp me at the details below.
    @ [email protected]
    WAB: 087 802 2179

    Thanks for this detail - everyone has different needs. Personally I think itís a very big miss on the big one having to keep the bedding out. The beauty of the quick setup time is quite diminished when you have to crawl up there and make the bed every day - plus - the topper to make the mattress ok is very large and has to go inside the vehicle. Would it be too difficult to offer a larger lid as an option - just a different fiberglass piece? For a family with kids that all are going to sleep in there itís a great option. But keep in mind if the market is 2 parents plus 2 kids it means:

    a) even more stuff in the car (for the kids)

    b) many overlanding rigs are set up for 2 people and use the rear seat area for storage. For your market thatís unlikely because the kids have to sit there. Which means the only storage is in the rear - and that 2.0 is so big there is basically zero roof rack left.

    just a different GRP mold really - you could do locally even, as an up charge...

    the space plus fast setup of the big one is a market differentiator. In the 2 man tent you are in a crowded market but as you say u can leave bedding in so itís suitable for the 2 person overlanding rig.

    Just my $.02

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    628
    Thanked: 129

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Having build a rtt or two as experiments a decade or so ago for friends, I'm still in the market for one that can sleep 4 of us and keep current on what is on the market. This product is definitely on my wish list, albeit not my budget. I agree with Fred, there are plenty of international youtube videos that (i believe) give a fair review, though one guy complained about the noise the zippers make when closing
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Jones For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 189

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Bath View Post
    I canít help but think you are talking about my page here, I donít want to make this thread about sponsorship but I feel itís a common misconception that all social media influencers get everything sponsored and are forced to only say good things about a product. I dropped nearly 50K on an ikamper because Iíve used an entry level RTT and my experience with it was awful. I spend nearly 7 months of the year out in the bush and simply cannot have an essential piece of gear like that fail on me so thatís why I bought the ikamper. The quick setup, quality and the fact that myself and my dad can remove it from the roof of the vehicle with it weighing in at around 50KGs were the selling points for me. 50K for a product that feels like it will last forever isnít a bad investment in my opinion and there are plenty of other great RTTís out there if an ikamper isnít the one you want to go for. Thinking itís a status symbol because someone spends their hard earned money on a product that they want seems extremely ignorant to be honest. Social media influencers are certainly not the only ones running around with Ikamperís either. You have to ask yourself, if at such a high price tag why are there so many people using them? There must be a good enough reason.
    LOL I didnít even have you in mind. But seeing as you feel Iím attacking you let me clarify. I havenít seen anyone with an IKamper except on social media, most of these are often reviews or given with discount/sponsorship etc depending on how the partnership works. You and Jason have clarified you spent your own money on one and were sponsored another one. So if you spent your own cash enjoy it, and donít let my opinion thatís itís overpriced affect you.
    However my opinion of it being popular and people wanting it due its exclusivity or status is merely that, my opinion. Ignorant? Thatís a bit of a reach no? There are thousands of products that are literally designed for the purpose of being status symbols.
    Maybe donít call people that have a different taste or opinion to you as ignorant. Rather agree to disagree, how about that? Especially seeing as youíre representing the brand now and not just your personal emotions.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    LOL I didn’t even have you in mind. But seeing as you feel I’m attacking you let me clarify. I haven’t seen anyone with an IKamper except on social media, most of these are often reviews or given with discount/sponsorship etc depending on how the partnership works. You and Jason have clarified you spent your own money on one and were sponsored another one. So if you spent your own cash enjoy it, and don’t let my opinion that’s it’s overpriced affect you.
    However my opinion of it being popular and people wanting it due its exclusivity or status is merely that, my opinion. Ignorant? That’s a bit of a reach no? There are thousands of products that are literally designed for the purpose of being status symbols.
    Maybe don’t call people that have a different taste or opinion to you as ignorant. Rather agree to disagree, how about that? Especially seeing as you’re representing the brand now and not just your personal emotions.
    I couldn’t agree more! I apologize for calling you ignorant, I respect the fact that you might not like the tent and have a different opinion on it but why bring the status symbol into it? I disagree with your statement as you do with mine but let’s just leave it at that. Please don’t assume that people only put Ikamper’s on their roofs because they want to be popular or show off. Perhaps people believe it’s a great product which it is or maybe they just want to treat themselves and say hey, I want a great rooftop tent. You have the right to state your opinion and I also have the right to defend a brand and product I’m passionate about. I don’t have time for these unnecessary arguments on the forum. If someone has the money to spend on something I’m pretty sure they don’t have to justify their purchase to anyone so just let them enjoy it ��
    Last edited by Edward Bath; 2021/04/10 at 11:29 PM.

  27. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,899
    Thanked: 1573

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Are there other RTTs that can accommodate 2 adults and 1 or 2 small children?
    Are there other RTTs for 2 which fold up small enough to allow for other items to be packed on the roof rack?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 2045

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Are there other RTTs that can accommodate 2 adults and 1 or 2 small children?
    Are there other RTTs for 2 which fold up small enough to allow for other items to be packed on the roof rack?

    I’ve never seen one as large as the big ikamper... As far as bedding inside - bundutop for sure others have said the alucab has plenty space for bedding inside.

    Bedding for us includes a fairly thick topper from takealot made from memory foam, and four pillows - so quite thick.

    Our bundutop is offset forward on the roof rack which allows for about .5m length at the rear- you just want to keep it light because for most vehicles, especially if you also have awnings, you’re going to be at the upper limit of roof loading.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/04/11 at 09:01 AM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:


  30. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanked: 1445

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Are there other RTTs that can accommodate 2 adults and 1 or 2 small children?
    Are there other RTTs for 2 which fold up small enough to allow for other items to be packed on the roof rack?
    there are other roof tents that sleep four. The one that comes to mind is the easyawn family sleeper roof tent, although that does look a bit of a mission to pack up.

    most conventional two sleeper roof tents allow for ample extra space for other items on the roof rack.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  32. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Dirban
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: What's the attraction of an iKamper?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Thanks for this detail - everyone has different needs. Personally I think itís a very big miss on the big one having to keep the bedding out. The beauty of the quick setup time is quite diminished when you have to crawl up there and make the bed every day - plus - the topper to make the mattress ok is very large and has to go inside the vehicle. Would it be too difficult to offer a larger lid as an option - just a different fiberglass piece? For a family with kids that all are going to sleep in there itís a great option. But keep in mind if the market is 2 parents plus 2 kids it means:

    a) even more stuff in the car (for the kids)

    b) many overlanding rigs are set up for 2 people and use the rear seat area for storage. For your market thatís unlikely because the kids have to sit there. Which means the only storage is in the rear - and that 2.0 is so big there is basically zero roof rack left.

    just a different GRP mold really - you could do locally even, as an up charge...

    the space plus fast setup of the big one is a market differentiator. In the 2 man tent you are in a crowded market but as you say u can leave bedding in so itís suitable for the 2 person overlanding rig.

    Just my $.02
    There is no market in SA for a 4 sleeper hardshell rooftop tents with all the attractions the iKamper has... and certainly none of which you can leave bedding inside.

    To make the shell any larger and people would indicate that is a flaw too. At the end of the day the 2.0 / 4 sleeper is an internationally award winning design, and not for no reason.

    As far as a 2 person tent, the 2X is amazing and is suitable as you have agreed above, besides roof space.. But the iKamper mini solves that issue. iKamper has a range of really great products, so hopefully these posts answer your question of "whats the attraction of an iKamper" because there are so many!

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaded For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •