Default 70 series Land Cruiser clunking sound

The vehicle in question has 470 000km on the clock. This afternoon i switched over from 4H to 2H and i heard a strange noise.

The cruiser has been struggling to go from 4H to 2H for a while now, so what i do is i accelerate in 4H, lift of the gas and put it into 2H. It always works well, but today something happened. After the noise, whenever i accelerate hard and let go of the gas there is a very hard clanging noise coming from underneath the car. Checked underneath and i can't figure out whether it's coming from the diff or transfer case. U-joints look fine, but there is pretty noticable play on the propshaft (Almost half a turn).

Any advice? All gears are fine and once on the move there is no problems. It's only on the overrun that this happens, and in reverse for some reason.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: 70 series Land Cruiser clunking sound

If there is a lot of play on the prop shaft I assume rear then there is too much play in the diff.
    If it is front prop then it is sort of normal as the auto locking hubs need to engage.

What oil grade is in the transfer case? Also Check oil level. There is not much that can go wrong in the T-CASE it is gear driven
    and I doubt that there is any play. They only fail if run without oil.

Slip joints on the prop shafts can also be the cause of the clunk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Thanks grips. Daar is heelwat speling in die agterste propshaft, voor is glad nie 'n probleem nie. My enigste vraag sou wees waarom dit slegs gebeur as mens die vet vinnig laat los en nie wanneer mens normaal ry nie? Is dit moontlik dat daar 'n tand op die agterste pinion gebreek het?

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkie5000 View Post
    Thanks grips. Daar is heelwat speling in die agterste propshaft, voor is glad nie 'n probleem nie. My enigste vraag sou wees waarom dit slegs gebeur as mens die vet vinnig laat los en nie wanneer mens normaal ry nie? Is dit moontlik dat daar 'n tand op die agterste pinion gebreek het?
    Kan dalk pinion of carrier bearings wees.

Yes Grips. Weet jy dalk of 'n ouer agter diff sal pas op die 1996 1HZ van my? Ek dink die ratio is 4.1, kan jy dalk bevestig? Toyota is nie vreeslik hulpvaardig nie.

4.1 is die Ratio. Haal eers die agterste propshaft af en kyk die Pinion se moer. Ek het al op `n Mazda so `n geval gehad.
    As die pinion moer los is kan dit die oorsaak van die speling wees.

Jy hoef nie die hele diff the vervang nie. Kan net die center portion ruil.