Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GUD vs Donaldson vs Champion filters

Good day to all--Can someone please explain the difference between the above filters---The guy at a local spares shop told me that the Donaldson filters are the same as the Campion filters---I do not know about the GUD filters
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Default Re: GUD vs Donaldson vs Champion filters

Champion is a lower grade Filter! Fram and Gud are the same and Donaldson is a superior quality filter!
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Champion is a lower grade Filter! Fram and Gud are the same and Donaldson is a superior quality filter!
    If I compare the GUD diesel filter for my 1Hz Cruiser to the Toyota original part you can see that the Toyota one is of a far better quality so I stick to OEM parts on the Cruiser. In the past
    I used many GUD filters with no issues on other cars and a few Fram's but never Donaldson or Champion.

You are correct that the OEM is a far better quality than the aftermarket filters . I only responded to the OP to say that Donaldson is a superior aftermarket filter.
    Jörg Reddig

You are correct that the OEM is a far better quality than the aftermarket filters . I only responded to the OP to say that Donaldson is a superior aftermarket filter.
    I disagree. All locally manufactured filters are made in the same factory in KZN. When they switch from making Fram or Gud to OEM, the only thing that is changed is the colour, the packaging and the logo. The filters are exactly the same, all of them!!!!

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    I disagree. All locally manufactured filters are made in the same factory in KZN. When they switch from making Fram or Gud to OEM, the only thing that is changed is the colour, the packaging and the logo. The filters are exactly the same, all of them!!!!

C
    I agree, we went on a tour of the plant and all the OEM filters are made there in the GUD factory, they only change the spray booth to paint the different colours.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I agree, we went on a tour of the plant and all the OEM filters are made there in the GUD factory, they only change the spray booth to paint the different colours.
    OEM is the original equipment from the Manufacturer and not a brand name so how can they change from Fram or GUD to OEM?

On my OEM diesel filter it say Toyota, 23390-51020, Denso made in Japan. I wish I had a photo of the GUD I once bought, if you compare it to the Denso on the photo the difference
    in quality can be seen clearly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Certain OEM filters are still imported. Many are locally manufactured though. Especially for the models which are also built in SA.

I assure you, many of the OEM filters are just the same as GUD or FRAM.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

All Toyota Filters are imported except some Aircon Filters , next time you look at a Genuine Toyota filter you will see that on the box it says "manufactured in Japan" sometimes in Thailand.
    When I was working at one of the biggest replacement parts suppliers in Namibia ,we where also told that all Toyota filters are supplied by FRAM/GUD . That is total bs.
    Jörg Reddig

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Some Examples !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	612047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	612048  
    Jörg Reddig

Many products are manufactured in various factories, in various countries.

The products are made according to a specification, regardless of the origin of the supplier.

I find it difficult to believe that a large company such as Champion can afford to have inferior products carry their name.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

All Toyota Filters are imported except some Aircon Filters , next time you look at a Genuine Toyota filter you will see that on the box it says "manufactured in Japan" sometimes in Thailand.
    When I was working at one of the biggest replacement parts suppliers in Namibia ,we where also told that all Toyota filters are supplied by FRAM/GUD . That is total bs.
    Couple of years ago Toyota did in fact have an cheaper option of an locally made filter. The serial number started or ended with VP if I remember correctly.

Had on of them leaking at the seal on my 1FZ-FE....

Besides the oil, the air filter is probably one of the most important components on you engine and for that reason I prefer to stick to OEM. My next service on the FJ is 5,000km away and since I've been doing many gravel roads, I decided to replace the air filter this weekend. The sticker on the box says "Made in Japan". That sticker comes with a price though...cost me R1,349.40 at Toyota...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Besides the oil, the air filter is probably one of the most important components on you engine and for that reason I prefer to stick to OEM. My next service on the FJ is 5,000km away and since I've been doing many gravel roads, I decided to replace the air filter this weekend. The sticker on the box says "Made in Japan". That sticker comes with a price though...cost me R1,349.40 at Toyota...
    Yes expensive but the air filter on the 1Hz is washable. You blow it from the inside out with a compressor and then dump it up and down in a bucket of water. Replace the water once or twice
    till it stays clean. Put it in the sun and good for another 10k km. Replaced my first one at 105k km after we did many dust roads and at R1.3k still a bargain and you know the quality is the best
    you can get.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Toyota has a cheaper alternative for this filter available at R738.24 (P/N 17801AZA01 ) .
    Jörg Reddig

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    Couple of years ago Toyota did in fact have an cheaper option of an locally made filter. The serial number started or ended with VP if I remember correctly.

Had on of them leaking at the seal on my 1FZ-FE....
    There have been VP ( Value Parts ) available from Toyota but all of them have been discontinued due to a lot of quality problems Toyota had with them.
    Jörg Reddig

Toyota air filers are quit expensive. I told the agent last time I need to old filter, I want to analyze it the see how much gold is in it.
    Johan Kriel

Toyota has introduced a lot of new partnumbers on Air filters as alternatives with reduced prices. But they are still mostly produced in Japan and none in SA.
    Last edited by JWR; 2021/04/13 at 03:48 PM.
    Jörg Reddig

Spare parts, like filters, belts, etc which are sold by Toyota as OEM are made by manufacturers, who would sell the same product under their own name. We all know that.

Many years ago, while studying engineering, Toyota was the only customer of a large Japanese fan belt manufacturer, who got the 1A quality.
    The very same fan belts of the very same production line which didn't pass Toyota's stringent QC requirements were sold as aftermarket spares. Still of very good quality, yet Toyota got to cherry pick it's fill.

My guess would be, same applies for other spare parts, too.

Quality control plays a big role. Just because product A comes from the same factory as product B and looks the same doesn't mean they are of the same quality. And as one of the largest vehicle manufacturers, Toyota would still have quite a bit of influence on those OEMs.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Maybe try Parker. I buy my diesel filter (Racor) from them. The Pretoria branch’s service is awesome.

https://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...D&vgnextfmt=EN

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaasBakkie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast