Default Discovery 2 v8 - fuel issue, advice needed.

Hi Folks, I need some advice on where to start looking for a problem.
    This is in preperation, my time is not really my own for the next few weeks.

Disco 2 v8, she has an auxilliary tank so my total capacity is just over 120 liters.

So, this is the scenario: three times now, on the highway while cruising, under light to medium throttle. She cuts out, like I have run out of fuel. Kind of embarrassing. The first time, I only had her for a few days and I blamed myself for not filling her totally, especially because the fuel gauge doesn't work.
    The second and third times, there was fuel in because when I fill her up after 'running out' she takes between 40 to 45 liters, you can ask Sam. It happened when he rescued me too and she took 41 liters to fill. So, I should have still had 80 liters to play with.

I know that I have damaged wiring coming from the sender unit, I was meant to address that this weekend but I changed water pump instead. This could somehow be linked?

Referring to the below thread.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ing?highlight=

I have not had her on a diagnostic yet, I will as soon as time allows.

I have read about gunk in the tank fouling the pump/filter but I had that out recently and I am pretty sure that is clean.

I have read that the relay for the pump can sometimes die a slow death and cause problems.

If anybody had similiar issues or has any advice, I would be thankful.

Yes, I could bite the bullet, eat beans for a month and send her in but to be honest, I am enjoying digging and learning on this vehicle, Its 'me time' when I get to unwind, cup of coffee, radio on, Rave manual in the background. The only thing better is actually driving her.

Standing next to the road is never fun but I had a massive sense of achievement when we fitted that water pump.
    Last edited by Chopped; 2021/04/07 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: Discovery 2 v8 - fuel issue, advice needed.

Not sure whether your vehicle has the same components as my P38. I had the same issues/ symptoms, and landed up being the fuel pump relay. Haven't had a problem again since changing it over a year or two ago
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

Check the plug going into the pump unit in tank

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Check the plug going into the pump unit in tank
    This I have done. On the tank side it is fine, I traced it through to the engine bay, it goes into that round grey plug next to the fuse box and from there splits, it is just after the grey plug that the rat chewed wires need to be repaired. Luckily it never got very far with the chewing before it died.

Are you sure its fuel related? There is a valve on the fuel rail behind the plenum chamber, you can test fuel pressure there.Can also be a dodgy crank position sensor.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    Are you sure its fuel related? There is a valve on the fuel rail behind the plenum chamber, you can test fuel pressure there.Can also be a dodgy crank position sensor.
    I am not sure of anything. This is why I am asking. She pretends to run out of petrol on the road, I assumed it was fuel not getting through for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip, happy to check any and all options out.

may be easier to get someone with a diagnostic tool to plug in and see what comes up.
    Could save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

as Twindisco says, CPS is a fairly common failure on the V8 and will give same symptoms as fuel problems.
    The fuel pump and system as a whole I have hardly, if ever read about problems with that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_B For This Useful Post:

Jay, Thanks. I think I will do that. I sold mine but I know a guy who knows a guy. When I get some time off work again, thats where I will start.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Hi Folks, I need some advice on where to start looking for a problem.
    This is in preperation, my time is not really my own for the next few weeks.

Disco 2 v8, she has an auxilliary tank so my total capacity is just over 120 liters.

So, this is the scenario: three times now, on the highway while cruising, under light to medium throttle. She cuts out, like I have run out of fuel. Kind of embarrassing. The first time, I only had her for a few days and I blamed myself for not filling her totally, especially because the fuel gauge doesn't work.
    The second and third times, there was fuel in because when I fill her up after 'running out' she takes between 40 to 45 liters, you can ask Sam. It happened when he rescued me too and she took 41 liters to fill. So, I should have still had 80 liters to play with.

I know that I have damaged wiring coming from the sender unit, I was meant to address that this weekend but I changed water pump instead. This could somehow be linked?

Referring to the below thread.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ing?highlight=

I have not had her on a diagnostic yet, I will as soon as time allows.

I have read about gunk in the tank fouling the pump/filter but I had that out recently and I am pretty sure that is clean.

I have read that the relay for the pump can sometimes die a slow death and cause problems.

If anybody had similiar issues or has any advice, I would be thankful.

Yes, I could bite the bullet, eat beans for a month and send her in but to be honest, I am enjoying digging and learning on this vehicle, Its 'me time' when I get to unwind, cup of coffee, radio on, Rave manual in the background. The only thing better is actually driving her.

Standing next to the road is never fun but I had a massive sense of achievement when we fitted that water pump.
    I am an idiot.
    Yesterday, I lifted the carpet to get back to the fuel tank and I realised that I never had removed the sender/pump. I just checked the wiring. Somewhere I had it in my head that the PO had checked it. So, as soon as time allows, I will be doing that.

Ok.
    In discussion with Swambo last night, we made a decision. My schedule is full until the middle of May, working 7 days a week until then; so I won't have time to work on her anyway. We also don't want to mess around with what is actually a pretty decent vehicle. So, near the end of May I will be sending her in to an indie and she will stay there until the fuel issue, fuel gauge and now the wheel bearing that sings to me while I drive are all sorted.
    At the same time they can assess and see if I did any damage when she got hot (I don't think she did)

DIY is lekker but I want to be sure she is right before I load the family.

Send it to Rob at Bespoke4x4, you wont be sorry.
    He is the only guy I would allow near my vehicle when Im in the same position as you with work and no extra time to get to things.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_B For This Useful Post:

Keen to get an auxiliary tank fitted on mine - do you know any details about the one you have fitted now?
    04 Discovery II V8 Auto - The Duchess

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hoff View Post
    Keen to get an auxiliary tank fitted on mine - do you know any details about the one you have fitted now?
    I don't have much info.
    The previous owner says that he bought it second hand. It is either a frontrunner unit or a copy of it. It fits in the right rear fender. Gravity feed, no additional pump.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Ze'

I had similar problem, but in my case it was the plug on the pump, managed to slightly crimp the plug connectors and its been fine ever since, also replaced the cranck sensor. Will be fitting the aux fuel tank soon. These are really good machines, love my v8.
    Jose A
    2003 Discovery v8 "O Patrao"
    Terrafirma 2"coils
    Terrafirma All Terrain shocks
    Terrafirma Steering damper
    Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/16
    '98 Disco 300 Tdi "Stony" Now SOLD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ze' For This Useful Post: