Default Intelligent Charger

Hi guys,

My dad has need of a charger to maintain his car battery, and I want to buy him one for his birthday.
    I know the optimate brand is good, but is the moto-quip brand any good?
    Its down to one of the below models, obviously the moto-quip is a 9 stage that can handle partially sulphated batteries and has higher amperage so on paper it is the "better option" but is it worth it compared to the optimate?
    https://www.takealot.com/optimate-2-...r/PLID40732676
    https://www.takealot.com/moto-quip-4...r/PLID41598041
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Default Re: Intelligent Charger

I reccomend this:

VICTRON BLUE SMART IP65 5AMP CHARGER – WITH BLUETOOTH
    R1,395.00 at bushpower.co.za
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/04/06 at 08:47 PM.
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Talk to Family_dog on the forum. He sells Benton. I have one and it works well on fixed locations.

With these power cuts it is handy to have type that remembers the setting when power is lost. If the battery is totally flat intelligent charger may not work on it. It depends on the charger. I have had to use "stupid" charger to wake up the battery. My Victron is able wake up dead.

Prices for both are more than those you have looked at. Amps on the two looks low, especially on one.

Just check if he has 17/18 Ah batteries for alarm system or similar. If so select charger that works also on that size.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I reccomend this:

VICTRON BLUE SMART IP65 5AMP CHARGER – WITH BLUETOOTH
    R1,395.00 at bushpower.co.za
    It really is worth the difference in price.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Talk to Family_dog on the forum. He sells Benton. I have one and it works well on fixed locations.

With these power cuts it is handy to have type that remembers the setting when power is lost. If the battery is totally flat intelligent charger may not work on it. It depends on the charger. I have had to use "stupid" charger to wake up the battery. My Victron is able wake up dead.

Prices for both are more than those you have looked at. Amps on the two looks low, especially on one.

Just check if he has 17/18 Ah batteries for alarm system or similar. If so select charger that works also on that size.
    Just a little info. If you have a battery that is so dead that the charger wont start - Just put another battery in parallel with it for a while to "fool" the charger. After a fairly short while, remove the donor battery. The charger will see the voltage from the donor battery and start charging. Even a 9AH Alarm SLA battery will be fine for this.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Go to Midas and get a Prouser 8A for R849 or the 4A for less.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    It really is worth the difference in price.
    I’m going to pull the trigger on one of these. Is the 5A enough for a car battery though? Fortuner has a 66Ah battery. Is the 10/15A model not a better bet?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bees For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Go to Midas and get a Prouser 8A for R849 or the 4A for less.
    PSA008 is the only charger I am aware of that has a 2A mode for 7-9AH SLA alarm batteries.

This is an extremely desirable feature.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    I’m going to pull the trigger on one of these. Is the 5A enough for a car battery though? Fortuner has a 66Ah battery. Is the 10/15A model not a better bet?
    Unless you are quick charging for a camping system or for between twice a day load shedding, the safe and preferred charge current is no more than 10% of the batteries AH rating. So the 5Amp is just about perfect for the Fortuna.

However, it is nice to have the extra “oomph” for when you are in a hurry, and also for the oh so common 100AH camping setups.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Makes sense, thanks! See there’s a 12V/7A model, maybe the better choice, a little more oomph but still within spec for the Fortuners battery
    Last edited by bees; 2021/04/06 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    Makes sense, thanks! See there’s a 12V/7A model, maybe the better choice, a little more oomph but still within spec for the Fortuners battery
    I have been using the same for over 3 years on a battery being cycled every day and numerous guys have bought some from me. One guy has bought 5 over a 2 year period.

So I charged the Fortuners battery since last night on 'normal' mode. Car felt like the battery is getting old (now 3 years old), starter sounds lazier than when car was new. This morning the starter sounded about 10% better, not sure if my expectations were too high? Maybe battery is fine and I’m imagining that it was once way better? On the other screen it says charger is in Storage mode and battery is 13.25V

Last edited by bees; 2021/04/15 at 08:33 AM.

PSA008 is the only charger I am aware of that has a 2A mode for 7-9AH SLA alarm batteries.

This is an extremely desirable feature.
    I also have the Pro User 8A from Midas, and have one vehicle constantly connected (since lockdown started). Very happy with the product after reading many reviews. Watch out for Midas specials, it's often on at R899
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, 2" Tough Dog Suspension with 40mm Adjustable shocks, Maxxis AT811s, Gobi-X rear bumper.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

Unless you are quick charging for a camping system or for between twice a day load shedding, the safe and preferred charge current is no more than 10% of the batteries AH rating. So the 5Amp is just about perfect for the Fortuna.

However, it is nice to have the extra “oomph” for when you are in a hurry, and also for the oh so common 100AH camping setups.
    Does the same hold true for LiFePO4 batteries ?

I see the Victron is rated to charge LiFePO4, I am considering changing from lead acid - mine has recently done it's last trip and is not holding charge.

I will probably look at a 120Ah battery - so which Victron out of the range is suitable ? (12V: 4/5/7/10/15/25A)

This is for a camping setup, not home use. Will also be charged with a DC - DC unit plus solar while travelling.
    I just like to use AC when it is available, so the Victron would be permanently mounted in my vehicle..

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AndyT; 2021/04/15 at 12:27 PM.
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Go for the Benton BX-2M. Available at SJ Andrews, 41 14th Street, Eastgate Gardens,
    Marlboro, Sandton. Speak with Felicity.[
    Last edited by Let's Play; 2021/04/15 at 12:48 PM.
    Hennie
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT