Thread: Amarok recall

Default Amarok recall

Just a headsup VW has a recall on Amaroks I think from 2017 not sure . It is about bad sparewheel bracket that could break. Your dealer will need your VIN to check. Andre

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grotman-WP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amarok recall

Quote Originally Posted by Grotman-WP View Post
    Just a headsup VW has a recall on Amaroks I think from 2017 not sure . It is about bad sparewheel bracket that could break. Your dealer will need your VIN to check. Andre
    all amaroks? 2.0l and v6?

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Screenshot of the recall notice:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	204 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	611578
    Last edited by rvdm1; 2021/04/07 at 08:38 AM.
    RvdM

2017 Mitsubishi PS 2.5DI-D 4x4 MT
    2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M (SOLD)

Got the same yesterday.
    Their remedy is to install an anti-theft bracket.
    But I already have one (for other purposes)

My Amarok was done this morning at Mosselbay VW
    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Got the same yesterday.
    Their remedy is to install an anti-theft bracket.
    But I already have one (for other purposes)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210408_085821.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	611736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210408_085941.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	611737

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grotman-WP For This Useful Post:

I found out the hard way about the recall on Saturday! Four of us in the car on the way to Lions River Brewery to spend the afternoon there, there is a short dirt road to the brewery and slowed down to pass through a gate, small bump through the gate and as I accelerate again, something doesn't feel right. Car feels like it was tugged back and the loud noise hurt me from the inside. Stopped immediately, got out to have a look, only to find the spare dragging behind attached to the safety tether cable. Turns out the noise was the wheel bouncing up and hitting the tail gate, luckily no dmage but the thought of it is still unpleasant.

I have only had the car for 3 months now and done about 9k kms, it is a 2018 model I bought second hand with 40k kms on the clock.

Only upside is now they will have to fit a whole new wheel winch rather than just fitting the anti-theft bracket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3728.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	612924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3729.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	612925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3730.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	612926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3727.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	612927  
    2018 VW Amarok 3.0TDI
    1960 Land Rover Series II 109 PUP (in progress...)

Mine going in Wednesday.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Looking a bit of help on what looks like will be a fight with VW. So I went to VW on Monday and they booked my car in to have recall sorted and done today, Friday (this was the earliest they could). In the mean time I washed the car on Monday evening and found that when the spare bounced up attached to the cable and hit the tail gate, it damaged it quite a bit.

Get there this morninig and they tell me the recall was to fit the anti theft bracket and not to replace the winch mechanism. SO, they say what I have is a warranty replacement, but my warranty ended the 10th of this month and so I have to pay (R8900 for a new one excluding fitment I guess).

I showed him the recall was on the winch cable snapping and fitting the bracket is a solution to prevent it. And that the bracket is not the recall part. Service person agrees to take the car in while they figure it out (whatever that means). But he is adament that the recall does not cover replacing the winch cable, so definitely I have no claim on the damage to my tail gate.

Does anyone have any idea what claims I have against VW SA for this and how to go about it? Picture attached of the damage (under the Amarok badge). I'd rather not have to use my insurance for this when in my opinion it is a fault of VW and a part they have agreed is faulty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2018 VW Amarok 3.0TDI
    1960 Land Rover Series II 109 PUP (in progress...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyron1993 View Post
    Looking a bit of help on what looks like will be a fight with VW. So I went to VW on Monday and they booked my car in to have recall sorted and done today, Friday (this was the earliest they could). In the mean time I washed the car on Monday evening and found that when the spare bounced up attached to the cable and hit the tail gate, it damaged it quite a bit.

Get there this morninig and they tell me the recall was to fit the anti theft bracket and not to replace the winch mechanism. SO, they say what I have is a warranty replacement, but my warranty ended the 10th of this month and so I have to pay (R8900 for a new one excluding fitment I guess).

I showed him the recall was on the winch cable snapping and fitting the bracket is a solution to prevent it. And that the bracket is not the recall part. Service person agrees to take the car in while they figure it out (whatever that means). But he is adament that the recall does not cover replacing the winch cable, so definitely I have no claim on the damage to my tail gate.

Does anyone have any idea what claims I have against VW SA for this and how to go about it? Picture attached of the damage (under the Amarok badge). I'd rather not have to use my insurance for this when in my opinion it is a fault of VW and a part they have agreed is faulty.
    I hope they sort you out.

Mine went in on Wednesday, my service advisor did say to me the recall is just to fit a lock nut on the spare as it is a theft risk. I find it strange.
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

To my knowledge, if a recall part results in damage, then you have a claim. IN this instance, the recall was specifically to prevent the spare wheel from falling off. Since you obtained damage as a result of the reason why the recall was initiated, it should be covered by the recall, not your warranty.

Edit to add - you will have to prove that you acted timeously to ensure they could replace the part though. If you delayed on your part then you will have a fight on your hands.
    Last edited by Nys; 2021/04/23 at 09:29 AM.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Go to the ombudsman?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Tyron1993 View Post

Sorry, Tyron, I also went in due to the recall and was told it was purely an anti-theft device (lock nut similar to those on the wheels). Due to my non-standard (according to VW) rims, they could not fit the lock-nut, but have given it to me to fit when I put standard rims back on (I have them in storage).

Much as I hate to say it, the service consultant might be correct in saying the reason for your spare dropping has nothing to do with the recall. However the wording on the recall notice definitely mentions the possibility of the lift cable snapping, so that muddies the waters somewhat. I personally would try and fight it and get VW to pay - as mentioned maybe try the ombudsman. And I would use the recall notice as my argument.

Good luck - please let all us 'rok owners know the outcome in case we have the same issue...
    Last edited by Ama-newbie; 2021/04/23 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Check with your insurance as well. It should be covered (both the replacing mechanism and damage to the tailgate) as it was an accident and not wear and tear.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Sorry, Tyron, I also went in due to the recall and was told it was purely an anti-theft device (lock nut similar to those on the wheels). Due to my non-standard (according to VW) rims, they could not fit the lock-nut, but have given it to me to fit when I put standard rims back on (I have them in storage).

Much as I hate to say it, the service consultant might be correct in saying the reason for your spare dropping has nothing to do with the recall. However the wording on the recall notice definitely mentions the possibility of the lift cable snapping, so that muddies the waters somewhat. I personally would try and fight it and get VW to pay - as mentioned maybe try the ombudsman. And I would use the recall notice as my argument.

Good luck - please let all us 'rok owners know the outcome in case we have the same issue...

What standard rims have you got in storage Rob?
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life