Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Which spinning reel for rock and surf angling?

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Exactly, even a multiplier..

What was anti-grinder about what I said?

The OP hasn't given us any information regarding what he intends to do (other than broadly fish), his SL and Grandwave 40s may be the best tool for the job.
    You never said anything anti grinder. What gave you the impression I was referring to you?

I'm referring to those who make stupid comments like "real rock and surf anglers use multipliers".

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    You never said anything anti grinder. What gave you the impression I was referring to you?
    You quoted me..

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I'm referring to those who make stupid comments like "real rock and surf anglers use multipliers".
    I wouldn't agree with this... some of the best anglers in the country use grinders.

There is a false impression though that multipliers are no longer used because of sponsored Youtube videos.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post
    You will need a new rod as well fitted with a bionic finger. Not sure what you are targeting though and what size multiplier you are replacing?
    I thought it wise to point out that a bionic finger can be added afterwards although its less hassles if its already installed.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Thank you to the one or two meaningful posters. As per usual it turned into a pissing contest.

I should have known better!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I thought it wise to point out that a bionic finger can be added afterwards although its less hassles if its already installed.
    Yes no problem adding it afterwords but a dedicated multiplier rod with trigger winch and guides not suitable for braid sort of negates an expensive spinning reel for me. For me no point in using a spinning reel with mono I would rather use a multiplier then

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Some guys just cable tie it to the rod.

The eyes on a multiplier rod are different than for a grinder though. The first few eyes for grinder are a lot bigger, and there are less of them. Also the reel seat tends to be in a different position.

I know that there are rods that can fish both, not sure how they look, never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Thank you to the one or two meaningful posters. As per usual it turned into a pissing contest.

If you tell us what tackle you were using and what type of fishing you want to do it doesnt have to turn into a pissing contest
    Eg what rod do you use with grandwave line class sinker size etc. You certainly dont need a Stela to replace a grand wave. A Daiwa bg is a great reel and much cheaper than a stella

If you want to slap a Stella on to your old multiplier rod and think its going to be nice to fish then you may be pissing a lotof money into the wind
    Last edited by Fishing1; 2021/04/04 at 06:59 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

If using a multiplier i use a Diana 20. Still need to be stripped by a big fish and it is nice and light with a 11ft 2+1.

If fishing paddle tail 11ft Diawa rod with a Stella 5000 coffee grinder. It can take the punch when casting in the surf at waist deep. But like all grinders needs to be service every 3 months.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Khakibush For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post
    A Daiwa bg is a great reel and much cheaper than a stella
    Forgot about the Diawa BG, great all rounder. If you're after an unsealed real, you won't go wrong with a BG.

Just keep in mind, like the posters said, fishing became very technical in the past twenty odd years.
    To me its quite difficult being taught to fish as an adult by old school guys in an era when braid started being used and coffee grinders used for heavy duty fishing like saltwater fishing.
    My biggest stumbling block is my budget. It makes it actually easy. Just keep struggling with Daiwa SL30 and SL50.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

I have been an avid bait caster (centrepin) reel user for rock and surf angling all my life. Usually the Grand Wave and SL 40S Daiwas.

Not to be pedantic but a baitcaster/ multiplier is not a centre pin reel.

This is a centre pin reel: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centre pin reel.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	611315

More and more I see guys using spinning reels (coffee mill type) for rock and surf.

Yes, advances over the last decade have made for more durable, stronger spinning reels, suitable for heavy duty saltwater fishing. Braided line played a huge part in this development as it was now possible to spool enough line onto a spinning reel to make it a viable alternative to the standard multiplier reel. Ease of use being the major drawcard.

Another overlooked feature of modern spinning reels are the drag systems. These have improved tremendously not only in the amount of drag generated but also smoothness of the drag. A whole lot of the money you pay is going to be for the drag technology in the reel you choose.

For the guys in the know, what would be the recommended spinning reel for rock and surf these days?
    I have heard of Shimano Stella but what do the wise ones here say?
    If your budget can stomach it, then the Stella is the benchmark you cannot go wrong with.

Alternatives:
    Shimano Twin Power
    Shimano Saragosa
    Penn Torque 2
    Penn Slammer 3
    Penn Conflict long cast
    Daiwa Saltiga
    Daiwa Saltist
    Daiwa BG

To be fair, you didn't give a whole lot of info to go on. No budget, target species, weight of tackle or areas where you fish. Further to this you do realise you will have to buy a new rod, capable of handling braid, if switching from multiplier to spinning reel, you will need to purchase braid, line that can cost several hundreds of rands and be ruined by the twisting imparted through a spinning reel if not spooled correctly.

There are a lot of changes, (some very expensive but maybe that doesn't bother you, we don't know), you will have to make so it might be fair to weigh up the different factors such as how serious you are about rock/ surf fishing, how much time you realistically spend doing it and whether a change from what you know is worth it when everything is weighed up.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Fish haven't changed. Marketing has however. Was away the weekend and saw the PBs with old rods and Penn 500s doing better than the ones with all the mod cons.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.