Default GV 2.4 Worn valve stem seals?

Hi guys,

SWAMBO's GV has done only 135 000kilos and it now seems that the valve stem seals need replacing. It smokes on cold starts and it is getting worse. No smoke during normal driving. It also consumes oil now.

This car has been maintained meticulously by Suzuki West Rand. Never missed a service.

How is this possible? The innards of this engine should only start showing wear long after 250 000k's.

Have any of you guys had this same problem? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Do you perhaps know of a good mechanic in the West Rand who could replace the seals for me? The vehicle out of warranty so I don't want to use the stealers.

Thank you

Myne: Wildtrak 4x4
    Hare: GV 2.4

Default Re: GV 2.4 Worn valve stem seals?

Change the oil with a good oil and see what happens.

Cheap oils harden seals, carbon up rings and dont have good detergents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Would it be difficult to change the seals.? never tried it before in a motor where the head is not off but surely its just a matter of taking the tappert cover off and plucking the seals of and re assembling everything again.

Thanks Marius. Full synthetic?

After telling Suzuki's workshop manager that the car smokes on cold start, he suggested that I leave the car there overnight, so he can see what happens when he starts it the next day, when cold.

He tells me the next day that the smoke "has a rich smell of petrol"! I didn't even bother to argue with him. This smoke smells pure oil. Ek is nie eers naby stupid nie. Maybe he doesn't want to work on the car, not enough money in it for them to open anything? More money in quick servicing? Probably chasing targets...

I will not be going back there so I need a good indy in future anyway.

Myne: Wildtrak 4x4
    Hare: GV 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreb View Post
    Thanks Marius. Full synthetic?

After telling Suzuki's workshop manager that the car smokes on cold start, he suggested that I leave the car there overnight, so he can see what happens when he starts it the next day, when cold.

He tells me the next day that the smoke "has a rich smell of petrol"! I didn't even bother to argue with him. This smoke smells pure oil. Ek is nie eers naby stupid nie. Maybe he doesn't want to work on the car, not enough money in it for them to open anything? More money in quick servicing? Probably chasing targets...

I will not be going back there so I need a good indy in future anyway.
    Cold start means car will purposefully run rich until warm....

Almost all cars will smell of petrol when cold.

And petrol doesn't really smoke....

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Cold start means car will purposefully run rich until warm....

Almost all cars will smell of petrol when cold.

And petrol doesn't really smoke....
    +1
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Would it be difficult to change the seals.? never tried it before in a motor where the head is not off but surely its just a matter of taking the tappert cover off and plucking the seals of and re assembling everything again.
    problem is once you remove the valve spring the valve will drop into the piston.... There are a few tricks however.

one I have used with success is to remove camshaft(s) then shove a pantyhose through the spark plug hole into the cylinder (leaving a bit left) turn the crank as far to TDC as you can squashing the pantyhose against the valves, now you can safely remove the valve springs on that cylinder and change the seals. When done turn the crank back and remove pantyhose, repeat for all cylinders.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Change the oil with a good oil and see what happens.

Cheap oils harden seals, carbon up rings and dont have good detergents.
    Any recommendations on what is good oil or how to identify it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Any recommendations on what is good oil or how to identify it?
    name brand oils only, anything from shell, mobil, fuchs, liqui moly etc. Check in your service book for the oil spec and make sure whatever you buy conforms to that.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    name brand oils only, anything from shell, mobil, fuchs, liqui moly etc. Check in your service book for the oil spec and make sure whatever you buy conforms to that.
    And if your owners manual only specifies the viscosity?

I normally use Shell Helix HX8 synthetic at the recommended viscosity. I always remembered Stephen Van Tonder said Shell is good because it's easy to get the exact oil you use on the road at a Shell garage.

Only thing he didn't mention is they charge R90 for 250ml of synthetic oil at Shell garages!

That equates to R1800 per 5L, the same oil that's normally R450 5L at Goldwagen, I suppose you have to pay for convenience though.

I normally use Shell Helix HX8 synthetic at the recommended viscosity. I always remembered Stephen Van Tonder said Shell is good because it's easy to get the exact oil you use on the road at a Shell garage.

Only thing he didn't mention is they charge R90 for 250ml of synthetic oil at Shell garages!

That equates to R1800 per 5L, the same oil that's normally R450 5L at Goldwagen, I suppose you have to pay for convenience though.
    Go to Ravenol Oil in Observatory, and speak to Freddi - he will give you the best oil for your GV, he knows oil backwards.

http://www.ravenol.co.za

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

then you just buy the right viscosity, also next time buy an extra 500ml bottle from goldwagen and keep it in the boot. VWs are particular about their oil so I always keep a bottle in the boot just in case

PS all good oils are designed to work with other oils, adding 500ml from a different brand will not cause any issues.
    Anton Muller
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car