Default 6 - 7 nights for an August Zim trip from Bulawayo. Help!

Hi all - Thought I posted a question earlier, but don't see it, so apologies if I double post. We will be volunteering near Bulawayo this summer and have a week in early August before we go home. What parks are doable without moving around every day and not more than a couple of long drive days? We've been to Hwange (love it and will manage a long weekend there), Vic Falls (the wterfall), and Mana Pools (although it was a weird year and there was nary an animal in sight after a recent deluge). We are thinking we'll need to stay in-country due to Covid, but would also appreciate any border crossing loop ideas.

I am thinking Gonarezhou but have no sense at all of that park. And is Mana just too far? Should we just spend more time in Hwange? What am I missing in considering our options?

Thank you so much!!

Default Re: 6 - 7 nights for an August Zim trip from Bulawayo. Help!

Matobo National Park.

I took a UK visitor to the park and we were sitting up at Cecil John Rhodes' grave. I was spritually moved, my UK friend who knows precious little of Africa also told me he felt oddly moved.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/04/03 at 07:37 PM.

That is lovely! Thank you! We do hope to visit Matopos while there for the day or perhaps an overnight. You spurred us to consider to simply just camp out there and enjoy. DH is leaning to vote for that and not worry about fuel or lorry drivers. It is just a unique place and the views from those rock formations and cave paintings are extraordinary. There is something spiritual about the place that is different. We also had very special time with the wardens there as we gave a ride to two who were trying to track some missing game and they let us go off on foot with them for half a day. Amazing tracking skills.

I am beginning to think it is that or rather the opposite in terms of a drive - Gonarezhou- and we hate highway driving with the lorries. But we love exploring once the only danger is getting stuck or being vibrated to death. Does anyone have recommended route for Gonarezhou from Bulawayo? If we did this, we'd like to hit greater zim one way or the other.

Matobo is a great day trip from Bulawayo - I was first there in 1973, last there in 2017 - still a joy to visit.