Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Is a portable braai a necessity when overlanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    I realised that i have a near new foldup brai known as a Pyromid. Got 2 from a guy who was going to make it locally and gave one to a mate, who used it for years in the bush.

Took it out and it is a really nice piece of kit - braai, oven, and used briquettes i think. Comments?
    We looked at importing some of these as a group buy - this is probably my ultimate lightweight braai/oven. They also came with throw away bags to collect the fat/ash. No cleaning was required at all
    Mike Lauterbach

Pyromid:

I have test used it once way back and it was great. Very well made IMO.

Packs almost flat about 20 mm and has grill and oven option. Resists wind as well.

Not light at about 4.5 kg but versatile.

Am using different kit in my overlanding and also an approach to have a fire, cook, heat water all in sequence and without much impact on environment.

This came up on the LCCSA website today

https://draaibraai.co.za/

Looks quite nifty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    This came up on the LCCSA website today

https://draaibraai.co.za/

Looks quite nifty
    lovely idea. I wonder how long the wing nut holding the spindle shaft will last in the coals . a great idea and easy and compact. I would like to know weight and height the grill can screw up to from the coals. a fantastic concept .

I never camped in RSA where I needed a portable braai - There were either spots available or you could make fire on the ground.

But in Oz I know have one of these

https://youtu.be/GUq4I_1BI2Q

as its often a requirement to have fire contained and of the ground - I love it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pfgrobler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Khakibush View Post
    lovely idea. I wonder how long the wing nut holding the spindle shaft will last in the coals . a great idea and easy and compact. I would like to know weight and height the grill can screw up to from the coals. a fantastic concept .
    Swambo's uncles made the exact braai but a built in version with 4 segments, opposite segments were mesh or plate steel.

They were about 160cm in diameter. 25mm Square thread adjusted height very fast. This was about 40 Years ago.

Very nice idea.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by JCMN View Post
    We bought a Madkon braai, couple times in KNP we have arrive at the camp and there's no braai's available and a lot of the braai's in the Drakensberg are burnt through and you cant use them.

To all the Madkon owners, how do you clean the ash out without getting your finger caught on all the moving parts?

with difficulty.... I turn mine upside down, grab the legs and shake it up and down - makes a racket and is messy..
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

I have too experience the issue of not having adequate braai facilities at some camping spots or they have a small brick built or wieldop braai, whereby you can't make fire and braai, if coals are out before you completed braaiing or making potjie, then it's an issue. I now use my portable braai for braaiing or potjie, skottel etc. and even as a firebowl and use the camp fire for feeding coals.
    I now supply these braais. It fits neatly in a plastic dairy crate with small grid.
    It is designed as a small braai for couples camping. May not be the answer for big family camping.
    They not the lightest but prob will outlast you. Weight 8kgs.
    Constructed of 3mm steel with 8mm base with heavy duty coal grid. You can attach rods to the legs to heighten the braai if necessary. Can make coals, can use sticks/kindling (potjie), can add coals while braaiing.
    Easy to clean, just tip ash and rinse out.
    Cost R750. [email protected] 0824659069.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	850.0 KB 
ID:	612991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	612992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	546.7 KB 
ID:	612993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	612994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 5.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	734.5 KB 
ID:	612995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 6.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	486.7 KB 
ID:	612996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 7.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	612997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 8.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	612998  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On The Go Camping Braai 9.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	612999  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Weptac For This Useful Post:

Google "madkon braais" and have a look at their portable stainless steel braais. Alternatively a braai same as/similar to that posted by IcePick88. Mine has a stainless drum and grid. Problem with these are that if the grid is raised above the drum, the wind tends to blow the heat away from underneath the grid.
    Toyota - 2 LED Interior Light

If there are just two of you as we are when overlanding have a look at the latest version of the Swannie Braai. It's marketed by a guy at Grotto Bay on the Cape west coast and now available through Takealot. Google it. It's made of stainless steel including its grid which can hold meat, wors etc for two adults. Before cooking the meat we also put a sizeable hot water kettle on ours to heat water when the wood is still burning down for coffee or washing dishes.

The best feature of this braai is that after use it folds flat and with its grid fits into the flat canvas bag that comes with it which will stow under your seat in most vehicles. Another advantage is that it needs far less wood to cook a meal than most other braais as it contains the heat so well; in fact the manufacturer claims you can cook wors on it with just rolled up newspaper. It will certainly do a couple of nice big chops or steak plus wors, heat up a can of baked beans and maybe even some toasted saamies or bananas afterwards all with around five or six pieces of good braai wood or some charcoal. Either stand it in/on a campsite portable or brick braai place or just a few rocks or bricks on the ground. Works well when it's windy due to its box like design. For two people it's the best portable braai we've ever had.

No, I'm not a sales agent for Swannie Braai.....
    Last edited by Jambo7; 2021/04/24 at 05:59 PM.
    Jambo7

London to Sydney 1968 East Africa 2001 Southern & East Africa 2004 & 2006
    Australia 2007 Cape Agulhas to North Cape, Norway 2009/10
    Ushuaia, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska 2012/13, Southern Africa 2015 & 2017

DON'T JUST DREAM IT - DO IT!

About 7 or 8 years ago I was “rewarded” with a mini Weber called a Smokey Joe when spending more than R2000 fitting new tyres to Swambo’s Honda. It sat unused in the garage until Lockdown Level 5 last year, when I was looking for something small & convenient to use every day. (I was angling to order a small Japanese Hibachi - Swambo said use that bloody thing that’s sitting in the garage the past 7 years!

So out it came...and now I use it at least 4 or 5 times a week cooking supper for the two of us!

Small, compact, easy to dismantle if you’re traveling (3 wingnuts hold the legs on) with all the advantages of a Weber kettlebraai!

And best of all, when finished cooking I simply close all the vents and kill the coals, re-using them again at least two more nights, perhaps with the addition of 2 or 3 additional briquettes!

This will definitely become a part of my overlanding kit in future to use when a conventional braai fire is not possible or convenient.
    If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

I just find it hard to believe this thread is already 7 pages long?

A very hot topic it seems.

Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Well, it must be old age and I never thought I would say this, but we have decided this weekend that a small portable charcoal braai definitely have some merit in certain scenarios and for only 2 people.

On the shortlist is a Cobb.

For those who have a Cobb: does the meat taste like proper 'braaivleis' with the smoky flavour seeing it does not really have the traditional grid, but more of a plate? How effective are the stones as apposed to charcoal and the foil sleeves that goes into the moat?
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Well, it must be old age and I never thought I would say this, but we have decided this weekend that a small portable charcoal braai definitely have some merit in certain scenarios and for only 2 people.

On the shortlist is a Cobb.

For those who have a Cobb: does the meat taste like proper 'braaivleis' with the smoky flavour seeing it does not really have the traditional grid, but more of a plate? How effective are the stones as apposed to charcoal and the foil sleeves that goes into the moat?

Think of the cobb as a small Weber (kettle braai)

Everything is the same it just uses less charcoal and is smaller.

As with the Weber or Kettle braai it is not really suited to "braai-ing but is better for roasts. How ever, it does have an attachment that you can use for grilling, and one for frying, and one for braai-ing..

https://cobbonline.co.za/product/cob...ith-fire-grid/

Edit:

Those foil sleeves work very well in keeping the Cobb clean
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/04/28 at 12:07 PM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Agree that the Cobb is best for roasting. I have a small portable braai that I take. Just big enough for 2 people.
    Pete Williamson

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Thanks gentlemen, yes I suspected the Cobb is more for roasting than real 'braai-ing'. Still looks like a nifty piece of equipment though, just not sure how quickly the fascination of one would pass.

The Anywhere Products GI 50 braai mentioned earlier looks like a better contender then. Just a bit surprised by it's 10 kg weight.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/04/28 at 02:43 PM.
    Christa

I have the same braai, after the last one got pinched. Cheap (R200 then), works well.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I bought one of these from builders warehouse. Still goes into it's box when travelling after use. Works well. Cheap. Disposable.

Attachment 611105
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Think of the cobb as a small Weber (kettle braai)

Everything is the same it just uses less charcoal and is smaller.

As with the Weber or Kettle braai it is not really suited to "braai-ing but is better for roasts. How ever, it does have an attachment that you can use for grilling, and one for frying, and one for braai-ing..

https://cobbonline.co.za/product/cob...ith-fire-grid/

Edit:

Those foil sleeves work very well in keeping the Cobb clean
    those foil sleeves are a lifesaver !!! we also use spray and cook on all surfaces to faciltate cleaning - makes awesom "all in one" meals flatties with veg
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Thanks gentlemen, yes I suspected the Cobb is more for roasting than real 'braai-ing'. Still looks like a nifty piece of equipment though, just not sure how quickly the fascination of one would pass.

The Anywhere Products GI 50 braai mentioned earlier looks like a better contender then. Just a bit surprised by it's 10 kg weight.
    Dis jammer ek het nie geweet jy stel belang in die Cobb toe ons by die kamp ontmoet het nie - die Cobb was by ons.
    Ek vind hom regtig handig.
    As jy naby Raslouw is, is jy welkom om te kom kyk. Hy is handig met baie goed; nie met alles nie. Tjoppies, wors, hoender en ander groente smaak vorentoe.
    Vir steak wat baie warm hitte soek, is daar 'n ekstra plaat en kole mandjie wat help daarmee.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    Dis jammer ek het nie geweet jy stel belang in die Cobb toe ons by die kamp ontmoet het nie - die Cobb was by ons.
    Ek vind hom regtig handig.
    Dankie vir die inligting, Roelof. Die idee van 'n Cobb het juis di naweek met die kamp by my man opgekom.

Ons was toevallig gister by Outdoor Warehouse en hulle het een daar gehad wat ons na gekyk het. Lyk handig verseker, effens groter was wat ek my voorgestel het.
    Christa

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast