Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TRIP REPORT and photos. Short visit to MOUNTAIN ZEBRA and ADDO NPs 2021

I am hoping this report might encourage some members to visit our great Eastern Cape wilderness destinations.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default Re: TRIP REPORT and photos. Short visit to MOUNTAIN ZEBRA and ADDO NPs 2021

Thanks so much Stan >> Yes I have never stayed over in Addo but go there often in Winter for the day being only 43 kms from my front door. We absolutely love camping at Mt Zebra Park and will probably go for a week again in Nov. Last time we were there in Nov and at 40 Degrees C we spent the afternoon in the Pool but the next day it Snowed and rained >> properly cold. Daggaboer Farm store was voted no 1 a few years ago in a survey/article in Getaway Mag
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/04/01 at 07:13 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: TRIP REPORT and photos. Short visit to MOUNTAIN ZEBRA and ADDO NPs 2021

Very informative and helpful as usual. Thank you Stan!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks Stan

We'll be at Mtn Zebra towards the end of Sept this year as we work our way home after a 5 - 6 week trip around SA - camping all the way.

We've visited this park a few times over the past number of years and have always enjoyed ourselves. It's a great park for those who are not hell bent on seeing the big 5.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    Bush Lapa Bosluis B2464

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

VERY nice thanks Doc!!
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Congrats on the Aardwolf sighting!

Beautiful countryside!

Thanks for the excellent pics.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the kind replies. I see the report PDF has viewed about 130 times. It is my view that the Eastern Cape and its varied destinations warrants more visitors and I hope this report will achieve that to some degree.

For those wanting to visit this area, the National Parks, Baviaanskloof, the passes of the north-eastern Cape, Hogsback, the coast around East London and PE or the Wild Coast, the country towns; send me a PM and I can see if I can make your planning a little easier.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/04/02 at 06:16 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Stan wow dankie vir deel dis mooi verby

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

I think I have mentioned it before; we are so fortunate in South Africa to have so many varieties of areas on our doorstep. Each uniquely beautiful in its own way in such a way that one cannot and should not compare them to each other. BUT, if I have to choose an area, the Eastern Cape will be very high up on the list. In particular Transkei and greater Rhodes / Lady Gray area.

Thanks for the report.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Lovely report of a beautiful area. Never been to Mountain Zebra but its on the radar to go soon.
    thnx for the effort

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

Stan

Thank you for the great insight on these parks. On the to do list since who knows when, unfortunately will still have to wait some time.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Everest 2.0 BiT - BL Boskriek
    Trip Reports: Namibia, Kaa Wilderness, Wildcoast, Botswana, Kgalagadi, Lesotho, Western Cape

Many thanks for a most informative TR Stan, excellent degree of detail as always.

We caravanned in Addo for 4 nights in March last year, just before Covid forced our return to Australia, we had a fantastic trip with great ellie sightings including a real close-up encounter with a massive bull that I believe was one of those introduced a few years ago to expand the gene pool. We were also lucky enough to see lion, although they were a fair distance away. After reading your report our only regret is not moving onto Mount Zebra, in our ignorance we never knew what we missed, hopefully there will be another opportunity to visit the Eastern Cape to remedy our oversight.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/04/03 at 04:07 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Thanks for your response John. Addo and Mountain Zebra certainly make a very good package as a trip and the variety is there too. That was the point I was hoping to emphasize.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

To me Mountain Zebra is one of the neatest and well run Parks in E.C.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Having recently been in the area, I second what Stan and others are saying about the Eastern Cape parks. Graaff-Reinette and the Camdeboo Park surrounding it are equally worth a day's visit.

For those who like the old style hotels, Patensie, Steytlerville, Graaff Reinette and Cradock are all more than worth a visit or a stay.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    Having recently been in the area, I second what Stan and others are saying about the Eastern Cape parks. Graaff-Reinette and the Camdeboo Park surrounding it are equally worth a day's visit.

For those who like the old style hotels, Patensie, Steytlerville, Graaff Reinette and Cradock are all more than worth a visit or a stay.
    Thanks very much for this comprehensive report. We will be staying in both these parks in two week's time. IMHO it appears that your Stanley's Bustard is, not a Ludwig's, but a Denham's due to the white flashes on the wings and lighter neck and face colouring.

Does anyone know if there are any boat trips out to Bird Island for St Croix?

Thanks very much for this comprehensive report. We will be staying in both these parks in two week's time. IMHO it appears that your Stanley's Bustard is, not a Ludwig's, but a Denham's due to the white flashes on the wings and lighter neck and face colouring.

Does anyone know if there are any boat trips out to Bird Island for St Croix?

Excellent and detailed report as always Stan, very much appreciated.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

29. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

We are regular visitors to Addo, which extend beyond the main camp to Woody Cape, Zuurberg, Nyathi, Kabouga & Darlington etc. We also visit the other Frontier Parks often, Mtn Zebra, Camdeboo & Karroo. All great National Parks just on our Doorstep.
    Thanks for your report.
    Regards
    Danman67
    2016, Toyota, Prado 150, 3lt Deisel, VX

Adventure Awaits!

[QUOTE=Sally King;4614903]Thanks very much for this comprehensive report. We will be staying in both these parks in two week's time. IMHO it appears that your Stanley's Bustard is, not a Ludwig's, but a Denham's due to the white flashes on the wings and lighter neck and face colouring.

Sally, you are 100% correct. I knew that the name for Stanley's had changed but somehow latched onto Ludwig's instead of Denham's.

Does anyone know if there are any boat trips out to Bird Island for St Croix? Apologies, dunno. /QUOTE]
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast