Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jimny VS ...............

As mentioned elsewhere I can't afford a new Jimny, but I do have just about enough pension in a preservation fund following my most recent retrenchment, and that money will be stuck there till retirement if I don't take it out in the next few months.
    Retirement is not in my future and the growth of the fund is pathetic as can be expected currently.

So, back to the Jimny....
    I'm 6'5" and currently north of 140Kg, and a good friend recently explained what it looks like when I get in and out of my Gypsy......
    I've driven the new Jimny, I fit and I'm comfortable, made peace with how I look in a small car years ago......

My one and only problem is I can get a Mahindra SC 4x4 AT for near enough the same money, AT, PS and AC being my main motivators for the change......colser to 50 than 40 so I want some comforts now.

By all accounts the Suzuki and the Mahindra should have similar durability, I do prefer the Suzuki approach to going anywhere, but I was driving behind a new Jimny the other day and it is indeed small. I removed the rear seats from my 3 door RAV and loaded camping equipment for 2 with relative ease, doubt the Jimny would be the same.

So help me with reasons why I should take the Jimny over the Mahindra....?
    Suzuki Gypsy - The lighter side of life

Default Re: Jimny VS ...............

Quote Originally Posted by DustGypsy View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere I can't afford a new Jimny, but I do have just about enough pension in a preservation fund following my most recent retrenchment, and that money will be stuck there till retirement if I don't take it out in the next few months.
    Retirement is not in my future and the growth of the fund is pathetic as can be expected currently.

So, back to the Jimny....
    I'm 6'5" and currently north of 140Kg, and a good friend recently explained what it looks like when I get in and out of my Gypsy......
    I've driven the new Jimny, I fit and I'm comfortable, made peace with how I look in a small car years ago......

My one and only problem is I can get a Mahindra SC 4x4 AT for near enough the same money, AT, PS and AC being my main motivators for the change......colser to 50 than 40 so I want some comforts now.

By all accounts the Suzuki and the Mahindra should have similar durability, I do prefer the Suzuki approach to going anywhere, but I was driving behind a new Jimny the other day and it is indeed small. I removed the rear seats from my 3 door RAV and loaded camping equipment for 2 with relative ease, doubt the Jimny would be the same.

So help me with reasons why I should take the Jimny over the Mahindra....?
    To be honest, You might drive it for close to a year, and then sell it. Space wise it is not suited for you.
    Sent from my iPhone

If the gypsy has been adequate, I cant see what the issue would be with the jimny?

Surely the overall running costs would be cheaper with the jimny compared to the bigger mahindra as well?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Funny enough I found myself dealing with the same conundrum a couple of years ago. I desperately wanted a new Jimny, but I could not justify the price to size ratio. I bought a Mahindra, which I beat the sizzle out of every day (Offroad every day). At the time, a PikUp DC 4x4 Karoo model was a no brainer, the price was lower than the Jimny. I have had a few mechanical issues with my Mahindra, but they were mostly related to the abuse I put it through and it was all covered under warranty. I still think the Jimny is as cool as ice, but damn it's pricey and impractical for more than a 2 people household.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Why not a Mahindra Thar?
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Hi DustGypsy,

I agree with FWM's question. I owned the previous 1.3 Jimny for the past 7 years, and in December I traded it for a Thar.

Yes, the Thar is very utilitarian, and you absolutely must look at one with a hard top. But a more capable off roader for the money is hard to come by, I think. And with the next generation model about to be launched later this year they giving some awesome discounts on the previous range, at least here in SA.

Now don't get me wrong, I have been a loyal Suzuki person for close on 40 years, and loved my Jimny to bits, but when my Jimny reached 11 years of age with way over 200k on the clock, I decided it was time to look at replacement before I retire. And I too could not afford the cost of the new Jimny even though it is an awesome machine. So I chose a Thar, which I have been looking at for a while and had the opportunity to drive off road on a number of occasions over recent years.

It does have aircon and power steering, but that's where it ends. No ABS, no airbags, no electric windows, so a very basic vehicle yes. And it is legally only a 2 seater. But I love it to bits. It has much more power than the Jimny, and oodles more space for 2 people to go places. The cabin inside in the front is substantially larger and more spacious than the Jimny.

You can see my vehicle and how I have built it up over recent months in the forum thread - "So I finally did it ... I now own a Thar".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Scorpio, they are great bakkies, but I would say look at a Thar as an option too if you can. Compare the Thar's space inside with the Jimny before you decide between the two of them, and then decide between that and a bakkie.

Good luck with your decision. :-)
    Last edited by Ericl; 2021/03/31 at 05:50 PM.
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - 2018 Mahindra THAR - Hard Top / VHF+UHF Comms / Dual Battery system / Winch / Freezer
    SWAMBO__ - 2014 Mahindra BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - Zooks Galore ...'08 Jimny / '99 Gen 1 GV / 1.6 Vitara JLX-x2 / SJ413 SWB-x3 / SJ413 LWB-x1 / SJ410-x2.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ericl For This Useful Post:

Pension money is not yours to use now.Leave it out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    If the gypsy has been adequate, I cant see what the issue would be with the jimny?

Surely the overall running costs would be cheaper with the jimny compared to the bigger mahindra as well?

Hi Graham,

The Gypsy is based on the LWB Suzuki Samurai, and has much more space inside the rear than a Jimny (new or old model).
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - 2018 Mahindra THAR - Hard Top / VHF+UHF Comms / Dual Battery system / Winch / Freezer
    SWAMBO__ - 2014 Mahindra BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - Zooks Galore ...'08 Jimny / '99 Gen 1 GV / 1.6 Vitara JLX-x2 / SJ413 SWB-x3 / SJ413 LWB-x1 / SJ410-x2.

Retirement is in everybody's future. You may transfer the funds to a different preservation fund that can give you a better return.

Quote Originally Posted by spoedig View Post
    Pension money is not yours to use now.Leave it out !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightjar View Post
    Retirement is in everybody's future. You may transfer the funds to a different preservation fund that can give you a better return.
    Leave the man be.

It is his money. He can do with it as he pleases.

It is also not the subject matter of this thread.

Getting back the OP - I would consider the Mahindra rather than the jimny. Space and versatility will be better with the Mahindra.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

The Gypsy is LWB, that means it has more than enough space for 2 people camping. Jimny would be fine if I was flying solo, which I mostly do.

Overall running costs I have no idea, but I guess just for a start tyres are cheaper.....

@FWM & EricL - I've definitely looked at the Thar and I have no problem with how basic it is, it meets my minimum requirements. My impression (stand to be corrected) is that the Pik Up is just a bit more refined, and I could sleep on the back. It would be around 100K cheaper.

@Spoedig & Nightjar - not sure what circles you move in, but most people I know have no hope of ever retiring in the traditional sense of the word. I'm 46 and I have about 400K between the preservation fund and an annuity.......so I can afford to retire for a year? Or two?

@FWM & EricL - I've definitely looked at the Thar and I have no problem with how basic it is, it meets my minimum requirements. My impression (stand to be corrected) is that the Pik Up is just a bit more refined, and I could sleep on the back. It would be around 100K cheaper.

@Spoedig & Nightjar - not sure what circles you move in, but most people I know have no hope of ever retiring in the traditional sense of the word. I'm 46 and I have about 400K between the preservation fund and an annuity.......so I can afford to retire for a year? Or two?
    The Scorpio wagon is also a good option. But you forgo the Eaton locker at the back. And towing capacity if it matters to you

The Pick-Up is definitely more refined inside than the Thar, cant deny that for sure. :-)

And although it's bigger than a Jimny, you cant really sleep in it. If you do want to sleep off the ground in the back, then your points make absolute sense and the Pick-Up with a canopy would be a very good call.
    Eric L
    ---------------------

My buddy told me this weekend while camping that the hooter on his Fortuner stopped working......long story short that's a 10K+ repair bill...
    I could find a 2nd hand Toyota for the same money, but I would be screwed if something like this happened to me.....

Four years ago I bought a 4x4 that was at the time cheaper than a Polo Vivo, so now I wonder if the above is not true for the Pik Up.......and the Jimny for that matter.

Guess I need to follow Clarkson's advice and work harder.

The long wheel base Jimmy would be great.
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/934576/...f-a-five-door/

You have to look at what you want, then what you can afford.
    I am of small stature, single, needed something that was capable off-road, nimble in traffic, easy to park, fitted in my rather narrow garage.
    The Jimny was a no-brainer.

I did fleetingly look at Duster, a little longer at Mahindra, oh, and Fiat Panda
    Going to step on some toes here, but sorry, the Duster is nowhere near as capable as the Jimny, the Panda has too little road clearance, and I doubt if there is a Mahindra older than about four years in Cape Town, that is not showing rust.

The Gen3 Jimny is smaller inside than the Gen4, I have both.
    Take out the rear seats of a Gen3, fit some shelving, and you have enough space, even for a two person camping trip.
    Front seats/space on a Gen4 much better than a Gen3.

In retrospect, I should have bought the cheaper Gen4 GA, instead of the GLX, but man, the gadgets and gimmicks in the GLX model is so nice....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post

I did fleetingly look at Duster, a little longer at Mahindra, oh, and Fiat Panda
    Going to step on some toes here, but sorry, the Duster is nowhere near as capable as the Jimny, the Panda has too little road clearance, and I doubt if there is a Mahindra older than about four years in Cape Town, that is not showing rust.
    I assume you mean the 4x4.......badly wanted one of those a few years ago, on a visit to Joburg I went car shopping with my cousin (for his wife) and got to try the Panda.......the gear lever sits where my knee should go, basically couldn't get the door closed.

My Gypsy came with built-in rust, but unfortunately I don't make it to the coast enough for it to be a problem

The new thar seems like something I can live with, wonder what price would be as it suppose to launch in SA anytime now before end june?
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    The new thar seems like something I can live with, wonder what price would be as it suppose to launch in SA anytime now before end june?
    Apparently 400K-450K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast