Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Eskom's new proposal for homes with solar panels

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    One of the problems with these issues is that people think they are islands and exist for themselves.

The examples and reasoning offered are fine and relevant for one home, or a few homes.

The problem comes when the same arguments or reasoning are put forward when we explode the numbers.

A big problem is seated in the way they bill us.

Agreed; maybe not so much "bill" as make profit on marking up electricity bought from Eskom to subsidise other services. They (the muni's) need this money; whether they use it wisely is another debate.

Maybe the "problem" is not enough storage schemes (say pumped storage) to use the daytime generated electricity to supplement night time or weather related low generation periods. I know of a good few opportunities that have gone begging for such schemes.

I'm so fed up with stupid people running this country ......

The Dutch gave tax breaks for implementing solar at home ..... and can sell excess power into the grid .... result ? ... 10 years later Holland is 100% on solar .... with one coal power station for strategic security purposes...... but here ?? .... eish ... they stall everything to see what they can first control ... control allows looting ....

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I wouldn't mind this arrangement.
    Currently I cannot feed back into the grid at all, so when my batteries are full, for the rest of the day they solar power is wasted.
    even if I get back a little bit it will be better than nothing.
    Is your geyser alraedy on solar panels or using solar geyser?

If you still have to use the grid after hours then may be more battery power?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Effectively, those with solar systems will be feeding additional power back at 58.46c but paying R1.46 per kWh at night when they need power from the grid.

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/how-much-eskom-wants-to-charge-normal-households-and-those-with-solar/
    You are lucky. I pay R2.43/KWh on prepaid, VAT included
    Nissan X=Trail 2.5L CVT 4x4

"store" as much electricity as you can and set a timer for geyser, swimming pool and deep freeze for 10 - 3 reducing the need to need to "buy" electricity. offer excess electricity to neighbours. these items hardly ever need to run after hours.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Landyluvver For This Useful Post:

Well, you get 0.53 cent for generated and charged 1.43 for use at night. Simple solutions is to generate more in the day than you use at night. Typical geysers and washing machines run during the day. There is no need to run heavy items at night. Our house runs 100% offgrid, heating, tv's fridges the works. You just need to work smarter.
    304AMC CJ-7.... The economical version
    5.0 V8 600Cfm Holley, Custom pipes, Edelbrock inlet mani.
    Land Rover 101Forward Control Axles.
    4" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    On 35's...but not for long..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post:

Agree, now that I have a system (could do with bigger) starts all the planning to automate the household.

Do they still charge a monthly fee to feed back to the grid? Couple of years ago it was R450 a month, so you had to supply 90kw a month before you get 50cents..
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Do they still charge a monthly fee to feed back to the grid? Couple of years ago it was R450 a month, so you had to supply 90kw a month before you get 50cents..
    Didn't you have to feed back 900kWh @ 50c to cover the R450?

I worked out that on my planned solar panel system, I would have to run for 15 days per month, at 100% capacity, to cover the monthly CoCT bill in order to cover the monthly fee for feedback. Which obviously made it unviable unless I put a HUGE system in like a business might.

This besides having to pay an extra R12 000 for a special meter.

Needless to say its not worth it, rather buy more batteries or just optimise your system.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

New energy rules for South Africa will help businesses and households move off Eskomís grid

Mineral Resources and Energy minister Gwede Mantashe has published new embedded generation regulations for public comment, in a move that is expected to help limit the impact of load shedding.

The gazette effectively raises the threshold for embedded generation from 1MW to 10MW, providing businesses and private individuals more room to build their own electricity supply away from Eskomís grid.

However, the gazette includes the proviso that private groups who plan to use this embedded generation will have to register with National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA).

https://businesstech.co.za/news/ener...f-eskoms-grid/
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I was chatting to the fellow that runs the mauritius grid and he said this was a huge issue for them as the generation falls off a cliff in a matter of seconds. Then another friend of mine in Texas was proudly telling me how they are generating so much wind and solar and that the geographic distribution takes care of the peaks and troughs. (This was before the recent winterising issues they had.)

So for example if the WC has a cold front, it should be relatively predictable and will not affect generation inland, and visa versa, but he eskom met office may have to bone up a bit on predicting clouds and such? The bottom line is geographic spread will help a lot.

The power stations like to run and run at 100% capacity, so keeping spinning reserve is not really good business for eskom, but I don't think this is an issue as they can sell everything they produce, they just cant produce enough. It is amazing how much power is down given the delta between installed capacity and peak demand.
    If every country in SAPP (Southern Africa Power Pool) would truly collaborate, and stop the politicians posturing for the masses, this solution for our region would be tremendous.

With South Africa, Mocambique and Tanzania to the East, and South Africa, Namibia, Angola and DRC to the West and all the countries in between, there is a huge catchment area.

Moreover, with this geographical spread, we have 14 hours of sunlight across the region, which, with sensibly placed arrays facing predominantly East and West, or mounted on a simple single axis tracker, could give an effective solar day of about 12 hours.

It is highly unlikely the entire sub-continent would be blanketed by sudden cloud, so the instantaneous reaction would be unnecessary.

A certain amount of base load could be constantly generated from the various thermal stations around the region, as a reference voltage and frequency needs to be provided. Hydro from the Inges system, Kariba, Cahora Bassa and others would standby for peak requirements, and surplus PV can be used to pump back into the Hydro reservoirs. (That's a whole new ball park)

Multiple mini-grids could be established across the region, making those communities completely self reliant, but also reducing utility costs in terms of switching and transformer stations for small or remote areas.

This would also enhance the reliability of the local grid networks, again reducing utility overhead.

Sorry. Went off on a tangent. If only African Leaders could dream a big picture, that included a hope and future for the following generations.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post

Multiple mini-grids could be established across the region, making those communities completely self reliant, but also reducing utility costs in terms of switching and transformer stations for small or remote areas.
    I agree with this argument. Instead of arguing with the city utilities wrt grid tie deals it will be more beneficial to establish mini/micro grids.
    The ideal opportunity are the residential complexes that are fed with one supply from the utility. This allows the complex to manage it's own electricity and to reward those SSEGs appropriately. It won't be a pushover but you won't have to wait for the politicians to come to their senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    I agree with this argument. Instead of arguing with the city utilities wrt grid tie deals it will be more beneficial to establish mini/micro grids.
    The ideal opportunity are the residential complexes that are fed with one supply from the utility. This allows the complex to manage it's own electricity and to reward those SSEGs appropriately. It won't be a pushover but you won't have to wait for the politicians to come to their senses.
    I suspect that this is the way things will go with, or without legislative approval. Especially in larger complexes where some economy of scale can kick in. As usual the government will be left how it all went wrong, much like their current attempt to stop couriers delivering mail <1Kg.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    If every country in SAPP (Southern Africa Power Pool) would truly collaborate, and stop the politicians posturing for the masses, this solution for our region would be tremendous...
    Well said Steve - the loss to Southern Africa due to political instability is staggering. The first chief executive of ESKOM, Ian McRae, had a dream to connect a hydro power plant on the Congo river at the Inga Falls to the grid. Wikipedia states:

"
    Given this flow rate and the 96 metre fall, the Inga Falls alone has a potential to generate ~39.6 gigawatts of mechanical energy and nearly as much electrical energy. Inga Falls is currently the site of two large hydro power plants and is being considered for a much larger hydro power generating station known as Grand Inga. The Grand Inga project, if completed, would be the largest hydro-electric power generating facility in the world."

This one station could provide the electrical needs of the subcontinent pretty much for free - not counting the original capital cost. The benefit to its citizens would be the equivalent of those enjoyed by oil rich nations such as Saudi Arabia and would never be exhausted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2