Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Defender Rear Axle Ball Joint

Brilliant bit of kit if you don't have a bird to help pump the brake pedal and it doesn't get pissed off or get it wrong
    Last edited by one-more-landy; 2021/03/29 at 10:19 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post:

Jip Iíve got the same kit. It works very well.
    Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Range Rover 4.4 V8 sold
    Audi A3T sold

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beesblaas For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately the wobble is still there.
    I think now it must be the prop shaft that needs attention and balancing.

The noises on takeoff have thankfully all gone, so at least the job had to be done anyways.

Watch this space.

At least you sorted out the play in the drivetrain on takeoff.

What about the handbrake drum perhaps?

I'm following this, I have a mysterious rumble/vibration on my Disco1 at 2400 rpm, its not speed related but more noticeable under load as inbtop gear.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    At least you sorted out the play in the drivetrain on takeoff.

What about the handbrake drum perhaps?
    So nice and quiet now, I feared a diff issue and was only the ball joint. Super stoked.

The handbrake drum I don't think is an issue as the shoes take pretty high up on the lever so don't think they are causing trouble and I almost never use the handbrake, just leave it in gear.

The only recent work I had done was my clutch so its possible they maybe put back the prop with the "timing/alignment " not the same as it was. Will check if the yolks are in line or wear on the UJ's.
    I only finished at midnight last night so may take a rest evening today.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    I'm following this, I have a mysterious rumble/vibration on my Disco1 at 2400 rpm, its not speed related but more noticeable under load as inbtop gear.
    faniedup, I remember you mentioned this on another thread as well. I won't talk too much here so as not to derail the OP's thread, but I think we might have the same thing. You have a Disco auto? I get the rumble loudest when I put my foot down from about 80-100 km/h in 4th, when the torque converter is locked up.

My first thought was that the torque converter wasn't properly balanced by the company. This would mean that it's engine-rev related under load. But I couldn't get it to do it at the same RPM in another gear, or even in low range locked-up in 4th at 2400 RPM. I thought at first that it wasn't doing it in third at 80-100 km/h, but it's just that the engine is too noisy at higher revs without the lockup.

So I established that mine is (probably) road-speed related, meaning it's in the drivetrain other side of the gearbox. My money is on the rear propshaft also - borne out by the fact that the rear diff flange now started leaking too.

I'm going to do my gearbox soon, and while they are out I'll sort the propshafts. If I get there before you do, I'll report back on this vibration/drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    faniedup, I remember you mentioned this on another thread as well. I won't talk too much here so as not to derail the OP's thread, but I think we might have the same thing. You have a Disco auto? I get the rumble loudest when I put my foot down from about 80-100 km/h in 4th, when the torque converter is locked up.

My first thought was that the torque converter wasn't properly balanced by the company. This would mean that it's engine-rev related under load. But I couldn't get it to do it at the same RPM in another gear, or even in low range locked-up in 4th at 2400 RPM. I thought at first that it wasn't doing it in third at 80-100 km/h, but it's just that the engine is too noisy at higher revs without the lockup.

So I established that mine is (probably) road-speed related, meaning it's in the drivetrain other side of the gearbox. My money is on the rear propshaft also - borne out by the fact that the rear diff flange now started leaking too.

I'm going to do my gearbox soon, and while they are out I'll sort the propshafts. If I get there before you do, I'll report back on this vibration/drumming.
    Yes, auto, seems we have the same issue, but replaced rear donut, still the same.

Had a look at the prop shaft and only the forward UJ has slight travel radially between the cups and the spider but not excessive.

So I jacked up all four wheels and ran the car in second gear and noticed that two out of 4 wheels have a lot of ovality in the tires and the third slightly less. The worst one at the rear.

Does this mean that it would have been caused by worn suspension bushes or is the reason for the wobble?

Explain "wobble". Is it up/down or sideways or more like a vibration?

Oval wheels will give mainly up/down movement - can be very uncomfortable. It is a 'slow" frequency if only on one wheel. A prop imbalance will be a higher frequency. What tyres are they?
    Mike Lauterbach

The wobble is radial as in egg shaped.

The tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T LT235/85R16

That does not look too bad - I had a few tyres with about the same out of round on my defender which was not noticeable.

The worst I had were Dunlops on another vehicle, where the out of round was about 5mm, but on 13" rim. That gave a horrible ride
    Mike Lauterbach

Personally I don't think there is fault with the tires.

It's rubber,so it will never be perfect but you can always put them on a balancing machine.
    I'd rather look into the UJ's.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

I just went for another drive and stuck my head out of the window and can definitely notice the rear right tyre does not look happy.
    Going to put on my spare shortly and report back.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post:

Finally found the issue.

So two years ago I had a tiny leak in the rear tyre side wall and I fitted an inner tube before our trip to the Richtersveld.
    During the trip I deflated for soft sand and soon after sheared off the valve on the inner tube.

We managed to push the inner tube valve away and fitted a new normal rim seal valve and carried on with the inner tube still inside the tire and a small plug in the sidewall.

When I returned I went back to Palm tires and asked them to remove the inner tube and balance the tire.

The message obviously didn't get relayed to the tire jockey so as you can see the inner tube was still inside and eventually destroyed itself and bunched up in one clump in the tyre.

I only noticed it now when I removed the tyre to fit my spare and on rolling it away I heard a squeak and a thud as it rolled down the driveway.

Spent an hour breaking the bead with my highlift Jack and a couple tire irons to find the offending inner tube.

What are the chances of finding this .

Case closed

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post:

Had to vacuum half a kilo of rubber balls from inside the tyre that probably came from all the friction between tube and tire.

Well done for finding that. I'm sure that's the issue.
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    2015 Hyundai IX 35 Limited Edition

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mcboss For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mcboss View Post
    Well done for finding that. I'm sure that's the issue.
    Yep, just went chasing top speed and all sorted.

Didn't realise how smooth a defender can be.

Yeeees

Thanks for all the advice and glad I got the ball joint and rubber control arm bushes done in the process

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one-more-landy For This Useful Post:

I was under my Disco again today (getting rained on by ATF while I stripped out the valve body) and was looking at my rear ball joint again. It really is time I do something about it - 250 000 km and 25 years is a long time!

As far as I can see, the best is to take that whole A-frame wishbone thingy off (unbolt the ball joint from the diff, unbolt the two huge bolts securing the bushings to the chassis) and then deal with it further off the car.

- separate ball joint holder from ball joint
    - press out old joint and press in new
    - press out old A-frame bushings and press in new
    - refit

Do you just keep the vehicle on the ground while doing this? (no need to raise it). Presumably, chock the front wheels very well to prevent the car driving away without its rear diff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast