Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Prado V6 in Central Kalahari - fuel consumption & clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Bundutrailer View Post
    were you towing? What were the cruiser consumption?
    Not towing and unfortunately don't know the cruiserís consumption.
    They were all diesel, so lower I am sure.
    Failed the physical for the Groot Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Town View Post
    Not towing and unfortunately don't know the cruiserís consumption.
    They were all diesel, so lower I am sure.
    We have done similar trips through the CKGR in our fairly heavy LC 79 d/c w/ 1HZ engine. I think we averaged a bit better than 6km/ltr, so...16.6l/100km.

I use 6km/ltr for planning when we go offroad, worked out for us so far.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

One certainly can lift the Prado VX's suspension. Most local suspension shops just don't have the know how or the catalogs to spec it for the Prado VX. I used to own a 2010 VX and had the same problem with it requiring a lift as is was also bottoming out quite alot when being off road. After much reading and asking around I did the following to achieve a 50mm lift front and back with the rear air suspension and kdss system still in place:
    -replaced the front shocks with Bilstein B8 shocks with ride height adjust feature. Set on the groove to allow the 50mm lift. Ordered from the US on the Lexus GX 460's part number as it is essentially the same vehicle. Still used the original front coils
    -adjusted the rear air suspension level sensors in order to lift 50mm higher than normal when in normal mode (search Pradopoint forums on how to do this)
    -replaced rear shocks with Tough Dog 41mm shocks as it could cope with the extra travel required

As mentioned this resulted in overall 50mm lift and it still had the awesome smooth Prado ride. The elctronic damper settings (comfort, normal, sport) has been lost as this feature is controlled in the fancy and veeerrryyy expensive standard shocks but I never used it and did mis it at all. I never had any problems on the setup and it cost me just over R10k about 3 years back. These days I believe you can source the correct Bilsteins at Imcomex. My brother recently bought Bilsteins for his FJ through them at a very reasonable price.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copper Top For This Useful Post:

Read with great interest. I had a Prado 90 KZ-TE VX 1998 model. Must have had one of the most comfortable rides of any car I have owned, including a few D4's. I currently have a 76 V8 (2016) and find the suspension far too hard for my missus. I want to buy a new Prado 150 VX and expect an even better ride that the good old 90. Will I be disappointed if I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Town View Post
    Hi all

Just (20 March 2021) completed a trip through Central Kalahari in my 2016 Prado V6 (petrol).

Well organised by Bhejane, with 6 others, mainly cruisers and a Pajero. No difficulties, all vehicles managed everything fine.

Route was Ghanzi - Grasslands Lodge (1 night) - Xade Gate - Piper Pan (2 nights) - Passage Valley (1 night) - Deception Valley (3 nights) - exit to Rakops.

If you are concerned about your Prado¬’s drinking problem, here is some info:
    1. I am a law abiding citizen and rarely speed. On road I get about 13.5 l/100km
    2. On this trip (Ghanzi to Rakops) I did 18.3 l/100km

The total distance was 854 km, almost all sandy twee-spoor roads, almost no mud. Terrain also very flat. It rained a lot before we got there (and one full day on the trip) so the sand was often damp. Tyre pressure 1.8 bar all round.

I used 156 l, so could almost have done it on 1 tank (150l)

W

There was one noticeable difference between my Prado and the Cruisers - middle-manikie clearance: I set the suspension to the ¬‘Sports¬’ mode, but when the track had a high middle-manakie, I was continually bottoming out. No damage to the vehicle, just comments from the Cruiser owners.

So, a question: has anyone any knowledge or experience with lifting - or hardening a Prado¬’s suspension ?

Hi there
    Can I please ask about the route from Ghanzi to xade gate, how was the track and how long did it take you. How was the route to piper pan and how long did it take you. I have never been to central kalahari and we are booking for April 2022, I need all the help I can get please?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by rossmacg; 2021/05/15 at 11:42 AM.

Had the same issue on my Prado during my Namibia Dune trip and something thats a very bad design on the Prado is that the stabilizer arms (and protection plate) are slightly too far placed forward eg compared to the LC200. This results into the protection plate in front of the stabilizer bar will constantly hit the middleman on a slight spoor incline before the wheels will lift the vehicle. We have tested this over and over in the dunes and eventually, the protection plate was totally sandblasted, but no damage to the plate.
    Very irritating feeling when you constantly hit the middleman and everybody else goes over without any issues.

You cant change the stabilizer design and the only other option will be to look at better front coils and shock for the front.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2