Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pajero SWB - Fitting frontrunner roofrack

Recently I acquired a Frontrunner windcheetah roofrack that had come off a Suzuki Jimny, with the intention of fitting it to my 2008 SWB Pajero.

It's 1165 wide and about 1330 long, making it the same width but slightly longer than the one FR recommend. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-rack-kit.html (1165 wide, 1156 long)

I was hoping to get the grab-on mounts but FR say they can't sell them to me separately as the rack I have is too long. (they are of course also keen to sell me the whole new setup with grab-ons)

I've attached a pic I took of the rack resting on the standard rails. It's not particularly long, as you can see.

I don't intend any major overlanding, really just need some space to carry bulky things like the tent and matrasses.
    I don't want to remove factory rails and mount new supports to the roof - I would just just like to mount this rack to the factory rails.

- Does anyone have any suggestions for how this could be done?
    - Does anyone know why the extra 15cm or so on the rack would cause an issue?

Considering the feedback from FR, should I actually just try to sell this rack on to another Jimny owner?

Appreciate any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Pajero SWB - Fitting frontrunner roofrack

Anyone done anything interesting in terms of DIY roof rack installation?

I'm wondering about universal clamps that might be able to connect the roof rails to the rack...

Maybe go and speak to Winelands 4x4 and see what they can offer you in terms of solutions. I don't see how this rack is too long, in fact it looks short?

In the process of making a plan to fit 2x front runner roof bars. Ive put 8x m8 rivnuts into existing load bars. The plan is to finish up bent 3mm brackets to fasten the bars into place with the bars on top of the existing roof bars to avoid weight transfer through the brackets.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Maybe go and speak to Winelands 4x4 and see what they can offer you in terms of solutions.
    Thanks! Will give them a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I don't see how this rack is too long, in fact it looks short?
    This is what I thought too

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post

In the process of making a plan to fit 2x front runner roof bars. Ive put 8x m8 rivnuts into existing load bars. The plan is to finish up bent 3mm brackets to fasten the bars into place with the bars on top of the existing roof bars to avoid weight transfer through the brackets.
    This is very interesting. Would the rivnuts mounting be used to secure the bracket to which the roof bar is fitted? Not worried about lateral force on the rail?

Quote Originally Posted by slojo View Post
    Thanks! Will give them a shout.

This is what I thought too
    Frontrunner can be “funny” sometimes. I had a FR rack on my Terrano, and it was too long for my double cab. I tried tomsell it, but people phoned FR asking if it would fit on their vehicles, each time FR warned them about “problems”. I thought they just wanted to sell something new, as my rack wouldlve fitted nicely with some of the people that enquired vehcoes.
    2012 Nissan Navara DC 2,5DCi 4x4 AT
    (SOLD) 2002 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    1982 BMW R100RT

Default Pajero SWB - Fitting frontrunner roofrack

This is very interesting. Would the rivnuts mounting be used to secure the bracket to which the roof bar is fitted? Not worried about lateral force on the rail?
    Exactly that, L-shape bracket with two bolts in existing roof bars and two to FR load bars. Brackets should take minimal force, the downward force is taken by existing roof bars.
    Last edited by pjf110; 2021/03/30 at 07:51 PM.
    Pieter Greyling

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

I had the same issue with my original FR roofrack of my SWB, transfered to my Ford Ranger and a year ago to my LWB. FR was “funny” and I ended up with the Thule brackets and FR adaptor plate which fits to existing roof rails.

I will check for photos when back home.
    Last edited by Tobie4x4; 2021/03/30 at 08:05 PM.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    2020 Pajero 3.2L DiD Exceed
    Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Similar to this
    Tobie Oosthuizen

I wonder if FR are losing money or making money by being funny/difficult about selling components separately.

I enquired about grab on feet as well and they said it cannot be sold separately. I would think with all the FR products on the second hand market or being transferred to new vehicles selling parts would be lucrative.
    Pieter Greyling

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

I wonder if FR are losing money or making money by being funny/difficult about selling components separately.

I enquired about grab on feet as well and they said it cannot be sold separately. I would think with all the FR products on the second hand market or being transferred to new vehicles selling parts would be lucrative.

I know of quite a few people who made a different plan due to FR not wanting their money, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I know of quite a few people who made a different plan due to FR not wanting their money, myself included.
    Same here.

Had Land Rover mounts on one of their roof racks and wanted to exchange for Prado one's with a cash adjustment told, Sorry NO, I must buy a new set.
    I told them not to worry, I would cut them to size, they said Impossible.
    Well I cut them and they have been on my Prado for the last 5 years.

Ive noticed lately, from a couple youtubers I follow, frontrunner is big in Australia, AND America. I wasnt aware of the America part I must say.
    I do kind of understand their stance on this these days - those rack feet are very nice and very useful for a home build/using a rack not specified for specifically those feet (as per this thread). Theyre too big now. they need to look at these responsibilities/liabilities.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ive noticed lately, from a couple youtubers I follow, frontrunner is big in Australia, AND America. I wasnt aware of the America part I must say.
    I do kind of understand their stance on this these days - those rack feet are very nice and very useful for a home build/using a rack not specified for specifically those feet (as per this thread). Theyre too big now. they need to look at these responsibilities/liabilities.
    I also understand to some degree not wanting their stuff used on home build roofracks.

The problem comes when I want to use their stuff on their own products and they provide ZERO support.
    You cant even buy spares on parts that you already own and want to maintain properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    Similar to this
    This looks great. I've not quite been able to figure out the Thule footpacks and brackets - any idea which one this is?

This looks great. I've not quite been able to figure out the Thule footpacks and brackets - any idea which one this is?
    Evo Raised Rail # 7104 - Thule has a search function on web site where you enter your vehicle detail and they then bring up the relevant parts. Pricy but works like a bomb.
    Tobie Oosthuizen

Pieter Greyling

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

Slide two long enough bolts in the extrusion under the roof rack, let them go past the OEM rails both sides, use a piece of flat bar with two holes in it, clamp the flat bar underneath the rail and tighten with bolts. I did this in my Sport and used it for 8 years like this

Did a quick drawing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast