Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: No facility camping tips and tricks.

For No Faclities Camping >> Use 2 x Coke Bottles for Shower one to Lather Up and one to Rinse off so as not to waste water out of the Geyser which we use when back in camps with facilities to refill (Non Brak Kalahari Water!!) into our tanks . We shower out of tyhe trailer Geyser at normal Caravan camps as Our Trailer has a Shower and Geyser (Ideal in Covid times so ablution Blocks are used less) and mixer for temp control but at Rooiputs etc watch water wastage like crazy so its the 2 x Coke Bottles = 1 filling give Jane & I a good shower
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/03/22 at 10:07 PM.

Noltea africana for soap

Good sturdy canvas (proper cotton) rucksack or tyre cover can be used for heating water. Heat rocks (careful what types) in the fire and drop into water filled canvas bag or tyre cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    I would like to hear what your tips and tricks are when camping with no facilities at all especially from families but not specifically.

I think I'm leaning more towards ablutions. Lighting and cooking is easy.

I carry two galvanised buckets to heat water in. We use this water with a little 12V shower. I also find that after showering and washing dishes we use a lot of water. How much water are you carrying?
    We use between 5 and 8 l water per day for us two for washing dishes, showering.
    The trick not to use a lot of water while showering is to put the water in a bucket and pour it over you with a mug.
    First wash hair, collect running off water in bucket. Than, wash the rest.

That way, you know how much water is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Second the spray bottle
    Do you use it's own sprayer or do you fit a different one?
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

Quote Originally Posted by seanpta View Post
    Out of interest sake, where would you do this style of camping?
    Looking for a place to take a Scout group on a "Survival" type camp
    Namaqua National Park. Long drops/enviro loos & the sea

Camping with no facilities at all is something we have chosen to do when appropriate. When appropriate implies a reasonable degree of privacy when required, not many other people and sufficient screening. If no privacy why not rather find a camp with ablution facilities?

We have no problem with digging a deepish hole behind a convenient bush and burning the toilet paper. We are too old to squat comfortably any more and carry one of those mounted toilet seats from Outdoor Warehouse, a life saver.

We use a canvas bucket shower which folds up to nothing. Some thin nylon rope is attached with a lead fishing sinker on the other end, to sling, hoist and secure over the branch of a sheltering tree. One kettle of boiled water to about 3l of water is enough for wife and myself. Not heated in summer. We use the car floor mats as shower mats. We carry between 5 - 7 l of water per person per day if not otherwise available.

I can tolerate or sort out a long drop, wife not so much.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

We got fancy some years ago.
    Got a Echo 4 at first and worked with no ablutions.
    Then we started finding places with toilets, no other amenities.
    Solar panels etc to supply 12V for what ever we need and gas.

Upgraded to a BL-Kewer and have luxury when we camp, just find a place with a toilet/long drop/or similar.

Have a geyser and shower tent so we do not really "ruff" it anymore.

For the two of us we can enjoy about 10 days with shower and dish wash duties (100L tank in Kewer & plenty paper plates).
    We carry approx. 4L potable water per day for the two of us (40L water tank in the vehicle plus 3 x5L bottles in the Kewer.

Normally we stay about 4-5 days at a spot and then move on and pass some supply point.
    My body does not like the handling it had when considerable younger.
    We did the Echo route in 2018 with die old method - 2 man tent ect.
    The blue one on the right with the Ranger is us two.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

We use a pop-up with a very low flow rate 12V shower
    and have a Gardenia spray as well.
    Don't camp in winter so no water heating required.
    For cooking tend to use foil - paper plates etc so washing up is virtually nil.
    The less we pack for trips the better!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Gister se kamp:
    1980 bakkie. 2 hangmatte vir die dogters, matras vir my in bak. N rooster, pakkie wors en buns.
    Random spot in die veld.
    Wors net so op vuur in rooster gesit met renosterbos as “rooster stand” en sommer as spice ook.
    Gister aand se bakebeans blikkie was more oggend se ketel en koffie beker.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

We use a solar shower bag heated either on the bonnet of the Jeep while its still warm from traveling or in the sun. Always dilute your shampoo or body wash in a cup of water first, it takes much less water to rinse.

Some curious souls drove into our one campsite in the CKGR to check out the campsite, luckily we had just finished dressing after our shower under a tree!

We have since invested in a toilet/shower tent, but have yet to use it since Covie stuck. We prefer to keep things simple and not pack too much extraneous stuff.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

Water seems to be the main worry. Using a face cloth uses far less water. My wife was surprised when she was doing some consulting in rather remote parts of Mozambique some years ago, water from a well, to be told to bring a "waslappie". One of those words that have become entrenched in Moz Portuguese thanks to returning miners. (Others are babelaas and braaivleis!).
    I spent a total of about 15 months camping along the Kunene River during 1969 to 1975 so water was never a problem, nor was washing, we swam. Water is easy to warm up using 5 litre BLACK plastic jerrycans. Put then on the roof or anywhere in the sun.
    Make a dedicated place for the toilet, for mixed sex camps behind a bush or put up a shade cloth screen. Use the spade as a "in-use" sign.
    We normally slept out, stretcher and mozzie net. A very useful gadget was a 10 metre length of cord with a 4 oz sinker. Used to throw over a branch to hoist the mozzie net.
    Have a short pole that the kettle can be stored on upside down at night. Also don't leave basins etc with water in them around the camp at night.
    Fresh vegetables and especially fruit can be a problem. Possibly take a spare cool box to put them in at night and store in the cab.
    If you have never tried real remote camping try it, it is a whole new experience

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Water seems to be the main worry. Using a face cloth uses far less water. My wife was surprised when she was doing some consulting in rather remote parts of Mozambique some years ago, water from a well, to be told to bring a "waslappie". One of those words that have become entrenched in Moz Portuguese thanks to returning miners. (Others are babelaas and braaivleis!).
    I spent a total of about 15 months camping along the Kunene River during 1969 to 1975 so water was never a problem, nor was washing, we swam. Water is easy to warm up using 5 litre BLACK plastic jerrycans. Put then on the roof or anywhere in the sun.
    Make a dedicated place for the toilet, for mixed sex camps behind a bush or put up a shade cloth screen. Use the spade as a "in-use" sign.
    We normally slept out, stretcher and mozzie net. A very useful gadget was a 10 metre length of cord with a 4 oz sinker. Used to throw over a branch to hoist the mozzie net.
    Have a short pole that the kettle can be stored on upside down at night. Also don't leave basins etc with water in them around the camp at night.
    Fresh vegetables and especially fruit can be a problem. Possibly take a spare cool box to put them in at night and store in the cab.
    If you have never tried real remote camping try it, it is a whole new experience
    !969 to 1975 must have been interesting camping along the Kunene.
    I camped next to the Kwando River in 1975, in a Bivie,

Quote Originally Posted by HermanvdW View Post
    Do you use it's own sprayer or do you fit a different one?
    Sorry for late reply. Been away
    Use its own sprayer but shortened the stem. Makes it much easier to use.
    Also lengthened the tubing so the bottle can stand on the ground and one can easily reach one's head to wash hair

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:

We were also camping along the Kunene then - pristine countryside and the sunsets were magnificent. Don’t remember much about the actual camping but we seemed to manage ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred56 View Post
    !969 to 1975 must have been interesting camping along the Kunene.
    I camped next to the Kwando River in 1975, in a Bivie,

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Or mains power
    Namaqua National park, long drops but nothing else. Richters has no drinking water but you can use a life straw to filter. Not sure if I'd drink boiled Orange River water

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I love no facility camping. Not fond of the spade and chair thing, but will gladly use a longdrop. I grew up with them.

The key is to keep it simple. Our caravan does not have a geyser and I prefer it so because you can go through a lot of water very quickly.

For us there are 3 key ingredients for no facility camping: 2 black (not green, black)20 L water cans, a 5L Gardenia spray bottle and a pop-up shower cubicle.

Dishwashing is simple. I fill a big pot with water and place it next to the coals or flames. Or for middle of the day, I use the gas stove to heat water. I use the Gardenia bottle to rinse the dishes, or if still available, the previous batch of dishes washing water. One need to think before discarding water.

When camping where there are no opportunity to top up water, I plan meals to avoid using pots. Veggies are done in foil on the coals. For middle of the day snacks, we use paper plates.

Showering: the black watercans are placed in the sun for the entire day. The water can get so hot that they start to bulge and hubby sometimes add cold water for his shower. We use the Gardenia bottle for showers. I can comfortably shower and wash my hair in 3l of water. The men use 2 L each. When water can readily be topped up, like in the Kgalagadi, we use a plastic shower bag with a shower rose.

The Gardenia bottle is great for washing hands with minimal water use. I also take lots of hand wipes as well as foodgrade wipes to wipe veg with.

We carry between 5 - 8 liter per person per day, depending on season. I believe that is sort of the norm. The most we ever had was 230 L for 12 days and 3 people in the Central Kalahari.

I tried this over the past week in the Kgalagadi (Botswana side) - a cheap 1l plastic spray bottle for washing hands and small items etc. from my local plastics supplier.

8 days of camping, only used 500ml of water or less.

Great tip, thanks !
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2