Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Why is the new Triton not more popular?

I think the new shape Triton looks very good and it's excellent value for money!

The Ausies seem love it, it regularly wins in ute comparisons on Youtube etc.

But, I hardly see any on our roads, no posts on this forum etc. Why are they not more popular?
    Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab 4x4
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

Default Re: Why is the new Triton not more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocket View Post
    I think the new shape Triton looks very good and it's excellent value for money!

But, I hardly see any on our roads, no posts on this forum etc. Why are they not more popular?
    Poor dealer network and after sales service. Well, that's my opinion

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

The entrance to the cab is cramped (Like the Merc) the doors are small and the roof low.
    The spec compared to the other bakkies, we get here is poor..
    A lot of items that is included in Aussie land is omitted in our models ..

That very long rear overhang......

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Also limited aftermarket accessories available in SA.

I suspect that the overriding factor is the tendency for South African's to shy away from swimming upstream when it comes to brand selection, simple as that. If they buy a Triton, they will invariably have to justify their decision at a braai at some stage, and not everyone feels like engaging in that stuff. I suppose its also necessary to consider confirmation bias here. I think that some people will more readily delete the Triton from the buy list based on one or two things they don't like about it rather than being objective and drawing up a list of pros' and con's for each of the vehicles in the list. You will find that the majority of South African's have no idea how good the Triton is and that is very much down to very poor marketing from Mitsu SA. Ask the average buyer if they know that the Triton has Super Select and what that means, most would not have a clue and often the sales person cant explain it either. In Aus, South America, parts of Asia and some Eastern European countries the Triton is a hot seller and used hard for good reasons, its a good pick.

I also think that, whilst mechanically a very sound vehicle, the aesthetic design of the previous gen Triton was not to everyone's taste and that still hurts sales (bit of a connotation associated with the name).

When you factor in how much cheaper the Triton is in top spec than the equivalent rival then I find it a no brainer when it comes to the Nr 1 bakkie in SA (yes some specs are missing but its only really the Ford that has it beat there). The 2.4 DID is exceptionally reliable and is paired with an equally reliable auto, and the power numbers belie just how much punch that motor has thanks in large to MIVEC on a diesel. When the new service rules come out in SA in June then the whole "small" dealer network argument also looses some of its already exaggerated validity.

Personally, I think Mits SA needs to get more brand ambassadors on board who really use the vehicles. Toby Price did wonders for the Triton in Aus. I think we need something like that to make the SA market take notice. Just having it stand on the showroom floor does not sell it to new customers who don't know the brand and its reputation for reliability and go anywhere capability.

Cheers

7. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

If you buy (or don't buy) a vehicle because of what your mates will say, or other similar reasons, you deserve the lesser (but popular) vehicle.

Only once you have owned a Mitsubishi, you realise that there is another world which does not consist of the popular brands only (herd instinct comes to mind).
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Their lack of a base model options has always hurt them..yes you get a lot of kit in the models but some people dont want all the fancy stuff and many people buy base model bakkies..ALSO the lack of single and cab and half models.If there was more variety there would be more sales,more preowned models available and suddenly more demand for them.
    Look how well the asx did..It came in well priced with various model options..now there are a lot of preowned ones at good prices to get people into the brand.

Probably a bit OT but the Pajero Sport, which is based on the Triton, was also voted the 2021 Best Buy in the large SUV class by CAR magazine (Best of the best article). The Triton and PS's 2.4 also punches above its weight as seen in the previous months comparison with the new 150kW Fortuner.

South Africans are a bit conservative when it comes to vehicles. When the Triton first came out with the double cab shaped for better rear seating position there was a lot of scepticism. Now a couple of years later all the other manufacturers adopted the shaped rear cab profile to improve the rear bench angle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210320_142626_edit_21734664312307.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	609880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210320_142601.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	609881
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

I went to have a look this morning. It has most luxaries as standard, even leather seats. I can't really say there is anything I dislike. Rear seat access is fine. Even if I sit behind myself and I am 1.88m tall. Very comfy seats and driving position. The look and feel is much more upmarket that a Hilux. Soft opening glove box etc.

Most of the double cab bakkies I see on the road is high spec models, and most are fairly standard. I can't think that the lack a aftermarket accessories and standard high spec will put most people off. I think the people on this forum who modify their vehicles are the minority of new vehicle buyers.

I asked the sales manager about this. He said that Mitsubishi has a different business model to most other brands. They see themselves as a niche market in SA. They only import a certain amount of vehicles and sells them all, so are quite happy with their sales figures. The last batch of Triton's came in last year October/November. There are no automatic 4x4's left, only a few manuals. The next shipment is only expected in May.

They currently have a promotion. You het R40k off or R40k's worth of accessories. So you can get a manual 4x4 with lots of standard features for about R580k. That is a LOT cheaper than the equivalent Hilux or Ranger!
    Last edited by BlueRocket; 2021/03/23 at 04:26 PM.
    Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab 4x4
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRocket For This Useful Post:

Perceptions - mostly.

The perception of poor after sales service - I disagree with. Your dealer is only as good as the DP running the show. I'm very happy with the 3 different dealers in KZN that I've used in the past 10+ years

Limited dealer network - true. You don't find a mitsu dealer in every rural town like a toyota dealer. I also have to travel an extra hour to get to my mitsu dealer, but I do it with a smile once every 10 000km.

"The spec compared to the other bakkies, we get here is poor.." - This is BS. The very top of the range wildtrack has some features the Triton doesn't, but it is also R200k? more expensive.

The looks - sure, it's not for everyone. But like someone else has already said, one shouldn't buy a vehicle based on what everybody else likes. Buy whatever puts a smile on your face!

Limited models - yes definitely. We need single and clubcabs back!

I might be biased but I think the Triton is excellent value for money.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Its ugly.

To me anyway.

That's why I did not consider it.

Also, I am 6'4 and I could not find a comfortable sitting position behind the steering wheel.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

I test drove one last week and it was really good, my only gripe is that I have 3 kids and the middle seat is a real game changer I think, hard back from the arm rest that drops out and protruded so even less leg room

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Perceptions - mostly.

The perception of poor after sales service - I disagree with. Your dealer is only as good as the DP running the show. I'm very happy with the 3 different dealers in KZN that I've used in the past 10+ years

Limited dealer network - true. You don't find a mitsu dealer in every rural town like a toyota dealer. I also have to travel an extra hour to get to my mitsu dealer, but I do it with a smile once every 10 000km.

"The spec compared to the other bakkies, we get here is poor.." - This is BS. The very top of the range wildtrack has some features the Triton doesn't, but it is also R200k? more expensive.

The looks - sure, it's not for everyone. But like someone else has already said, one shouldn't buy a vehicle based on what everybody else likes. Buy whatever puts a smile on your face!

Limited models - yes definitely. We need single and clubcabs back!

I might be biased but I think the Triton is excellent value for money.

I agree. lots of comments from uninformed members here. The fear of being wrong drives most answers, because especially the Toyota / Ford clan will never admit they paid more for less.

Mitsubishi is a lifestyle you afford yourself if you are fearless and free of the mainstream brainwashing. Their best products are available to us in SA and its sad that they dont compete in the commercial market more. If I have a choice, Mitsubishi will be all I drive, Isuzu as a close second.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heelpadgrondpad For This Useful Post:

I'll say marketing. Mitsubitshi don't have the same aggressive marketing campaign as Toyota and Ford.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCMostert For This Useful Post:

SAFFAS prefer to play it safe and are conformists - so they buy ........ (you know what)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

I am well qualified to respond here. 2 Tritons in the past 12 years and swambo drives an ASX.

In terms of value for money, no other brand comes close to the Mitsubishi's, it's a point no one can argue against. Visually the old Triton may not be a winner, but the new Triton is a stunner. Build quality is fair value and mechanically all Mitsubishi's are sound, again no argument against.

So where then lies the problem. With Mitsubishi SA. When Mitsubishi was part of the Merc stable a few years ago (the Colt years), the brand did well. Then Mitsu became part of Imperial and the showrooms and workshops moved to the back end of the Merc dealerships, a real stepchild feeling I had. As Mitsu owners, we received no direct communication to set our minds at ease regarding future servicing & spares etc of our vehicles. I became really worried about the brands continuation in SA.

The concept of a different business model with limited imports is rubbish. Mitsu need to take care of the current owners of Mitsu's and make sure we are comfortable that our brand is alive and well, then we will continue to buy the brand. The decline from the Colt days to what Mitsu is in SA today, all lies with the poor communication from Mitsubishi SA, the importers.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 340 For This Useful Post:

I doubt customer service is the issue, at least not in my experience in dealing with Mitsu dealers. And in value-for-money or performance I donít think the Triton has to stand back for Ford/Toyota/VW either. So why are they unpopular?

Rule 1 in my book for any car product Ė it must look appealing. And as much as I like Mitsubishis, I can only say that the Triton bakkies (and its Pajerosport equivalent) are simply not attractive enough (and this seems to be the opinion of most people who I have heard commenting on them). Its sad, as I think Mitsubishi deserves better.

I own the the new shape Triton and I am very happy with it. I had a bad experience with the purchase but that was due to the very poor service from the Autohaus Gobel Group (I would not recommend them to my enemy even).

Since the purchase I have been using CMH Mitsubishi Westrand for services and they are excellent.

I have had a number of compliments from other Bakkie owners who have driven in the Triton with me saying it drives better than their Bakkie - even an ardent Toyota fan. Its well finished off in the cab; there are no rattles or lose bits falling off. Its very nippy and agile in the traffic and the fuel consumption stays around 10l/100km in town driving (its the 4x4) and I drive it rather hard. Finally, the price relative to the other Bakkies makes it the best value for money out there.

I have no hesitation in recommending this Bakkie to anyone.

Fred

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fredphotographer For This Useful Post:

My 2c as a Hilux owner...

1. No doubt these are real value for money. Better than my Hilux? For sure!
    2. Looks? Although it plays a role, I would like to think most purchases in this areas is function over form. Plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    3. Reliability? No need to elaborate here, I think 99% of the forum knows that these vehicles are as bullet proof as they come

Why did I go the appliance route instead of a Triton?

1. Walked into the East Rand Mitsubishi dealership a while ago. They did not want my business at all. Had to call a salesman to assist, and I am still waiting for him to email me more details (almost as appaling as the Nissan dealership next door)
    2. Mitsubishi Centurion were better with their service, however F&I lady could not be bothered to discuss and assist finance options.

As most, I agree, probably one of the best that money can buy. Would not mind driving one as well. But the dealers made it difficult for me to part with my hard earned money

I am yet to meet a Triton driver who regrets his purchase!
    Last edited by Redman; 2021/03/29 at 12:27 PM.
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Why is the new Triton not more popular?

Quite a relevant and interesting thread to me .... because although I have been an ardent supporter of a bakkie well known for it's reliability through the years, I'm now looking for an alternative that is also reliable, but has better looks than the reliable brand's latest bakkies .. It seems this company has a serious problem with it's vehicle 'design' strategy in general...across all it's models... But yes, .... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast