Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lusaka
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 112

    Default Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    A couple of weeks ago, still deep in the Zambian rainy season, we attempted the Leopards Hill rd over the escarpment down to Kasaka in the Lower Zambezi. This is what we got.

    <a data-cke-saved-href="https://youtu.be/Usu9GSUv83k" href="https://youtu.be/Usu9GSUv83k">

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to franklouw7 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    441
    Thanked: 320

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Thanks for the video, I watched a few days ago. We hope to drive this next time we're in the Lower Zambezi area (not in the rainy season!). I have heard some pretty fearsome reports of this road, but if you are managing in the rainy season it must be manageable to some degree?

    Where was the lodge at the end, I didn't see it on T4A?
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    970
    Thanked: 907

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Kasaka River Lodge is some 10 km downstream from Mvuu Lodge, just south of the Royal Zambezi Airstrip. Not on mine T4A either.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lusaka
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Thanks for the video, I watched a few days ago. We hope to drive this next time we're in the Lower Zambezi area (not in the rainy season!). I have heard some pretty fearsome reports of this road, but if you are managing in the rainy season it must be manageable to some degree?

    Where was the lodge at the end, I didn't see it on T4A?
    The days of the infamous Leopards Hill rd are sadly in the past. They are busy building a rd that will be tarred soon. Lots of pros and cons, but one thing is for sure, that part of the adventure will never be the same again.

    The Lodge at the end of the video is Kasaka. Its part of Chongwe Safaris and is a very very nice lodge that currently operates only as a self catering lodge (Covid induced) @$45 per person per night.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklouw7 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,139
    Thanked: 24406

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Thanks Frank. Brings back great memories. I used to live on Leopards Hill and this was the prefered route to the LZ.

    The conditions can vary dramaticaly, one time it seemed the trail hadnt been used in ages and other times it was "meh"

    The last time I used it, the civils for the road from Leopards Hill were in place for a distance of @ 10kms. Has this progressed?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    pmb
    Age
    49
    Posts
    75
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Hi Everyone!
    I am planning to do the trip from Leopards hill to LZ in the next few weeks, has anyone got an update on the road condition? I have a 4x4 but I am not up for the seriously advanced 4x4 stuff!
    +- How long does it take to do this route? I have the T4A recent maps which I assume will be accurate to get e to the river at least.
    Thanks

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Mfuwe, Zambia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 44

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Quote Originally Posted by crossing View Post
    Hi Everyone!
    I am planning to do the trip from Leopards hill to LZ in the next few weeks, has anyone got an update on the road condition? I have a 4x4 but I am not up for the seriously advanced 4x4 stuff!
    +- How long does it take to do this route? I have the T4A recent maps which I assume will be accurate to get e to the river at least.
    Thanks
    It has been recently graded so it is a very easy gravel road now. I haven't driven it myself but people are towing boats on it now and I think it takes somewhere around 3 - 4 hours.
    2002 HZJ105R Land Cruiser - being built as an overlander

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Prague
    Age
    58
    Posts
    442
    Thanked: 139

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Brugge
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.


  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xanax For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Prague
    Age
    58
    Posts
    442
    Thanked: 139

    Default Re: Leopards Hill Rd From Mvuu (Lower Zambezi) to Lusaka. Action packed adventure.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklouw7 View Post
    The days of the infamous Leopards Hill rd are sadly in the past. They are busy building a rd that will be tarred soon. Lots of pros and cons, but one thing is for sure, that part of the adventure will never be the same again.
    .
    Frank, I watched all your videos on a big screen yesterday. Fantastic.

    I think the road from northern Mukamba gate through LZNP to Chongwe gate is still adventurous enough for you and other brave 4x4 riders. I read it is about 5 h of serious driving to the bottom and about 2 h more to get out from NP for camping. Sadly, not for me with rental vehicles.
    Last edited by schwott; 2021/06/13 at 11:33 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •