Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: How practical is a Porta Potty?

As full time campers, I had to make it easier for the wife. Van has a "little room" where it stands permanently, and she only uses it for #1's. I don't mind the odd nature walk to the ablutions. It's only when I drink coffee after 10pm that I need to get up before 5 anyways, and mostly I can hold it till morning.

We got the cheapest one we could find to test the concept. Camp & Climb delivered by courier with in 3 days, which saved me the aggravation of going 180km to town.

Potti averages about 2 weeks between cleans. Chemicals are important in the top and bottom tanks. We have to be eco friendly with our septic tanks, so no compromise there. Your deodorizer top tank chemical should also lubricate the separation seal/handle. Without it, the handle gets very sticky, and the seal even starts leaking when you are on your way to go empty.

I made the mistake of listening to the wrong advise, and was originally told that I musty not add chemical to the top tank. Only to read somewhere else, that the top tank chemical actually lubricates the seal. Relieved the pressure on the handle with in a few flushes.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

hi guys I'm fairly new to caravaning and I also had this question on whether or not buy a porta potti. I bought my caravan (Sprite Splash) last year October and since then I'm buying stuff here and there just to make it better.

I must say the porta potti was THE BEST investment by far. I bought the Thetford 145 for about R1900 and it is really useful for us with 2 kids. We only use it for n1, sometimes where there is not a proper toilet along the way my wife also use it when we stop.

The cleaning part I found very easy and hassle free: not a smell or anything. If I'm camping for 4 nights I just empty it on the day I'm leaving.

I hope that helps.
    Rodrigo Silva

2017 Ford Everest 2.2 XLT Auto
    2016 Sprite Splash Caravan

Wondering about leaking when travelling on rough gravel roads with potholes etc?
    I am sure tar is no problem.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/03/29 at 05:15 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Mine does not leak at all - Fiamma Bipot.

I even turn it upside sown and shake it well before emptying - turns all to liquid for easy dumping.

Just a tip , fill a good quality spray bottle that can set to a jet stream with a dilution of the top pink chemical. Helps a lot to keep the bowl clean, smelling fresh and get rid of the skid marks if you had that urgent no2
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/03/29 at 05:41 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

We have been permanently overlanding for the past 10 years now and only bought a Thetford Porta Potti when travelling down West Africa because as you know, once you starting hunkering down a whole village seems to appear. So we use it inside the camper or with our QuickPitch cubicle tent. We tend to only do No. 2 in it as it seems to be able to "last longer". We don't use chemicals as we tend to dump it either in toilets at gas stations or dig a hole remotely (not close to a water source). I (SWAMBO) use a WeeJohn at most times and at night have a pee bottle and the same for the men. We have used all the options and do prefer to have a good sit down instead of tree hugging, especially the late nights or remote places. P.S. Our seal did go bust while driving down W Africa and yes, it was not pleasant, so make sure you have a spare or two available. Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger◊
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FierceMelon For This Useful Post:

The Yorkie is on guard duty watching for lions

Quote Originally Posted by FierceMelon View Post
    We have been permanently overlanding for the past 10 years now and only bought a Thetford Porta Potti when travelling down West Africa because as you know, once you starting hunkering down a whole village seems to appear. So we use it inside the camper or with our QuickPitch cubicle tent. We tend to only do No. 2 in it as it seems to be able to "last longer". We don't use chemicals as we tend to dump it either in toilets at gas stations or dig a hole remotely (not close to a water source). I (SWAMBO) use a WeeJohn at most times and at night have a pee bottle and the same for the men. We have used all the options and do prefer to have a good sit down instead of tree hugging, especially the late nights or remote places. P.S. Our seal did go bust while driving down W Africa and yes, it was not pleasant, so make sure you have a spare or two available. Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger◊

That is now what you would say in Afrikaans 'n steel foto

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceMelon View Post
    Hoe k.ak 'n man?

So k.ak 'n man.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

In my opinion, a Porta is very convenient when overlanding. Our Porta is in the Jurgens Explorer and SWAMBO can use it any time when we are travelling.

Saw this on the beach today at Trekoskraal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f277d20f-0ae3-40c4-ae5c-46b36428b0b9.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	611896

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Markus and Zelda For This Useful Post:

if you have been at gert du toit se baai when it is full ,those long standing, semi permanent people that has claimed the place every year on the same spot ,have a look how those guys organize their toilets setups ,,was impressed ,,shower and toilet with 1000 lt tank on the highest level ,

hulle skyt nie in die veld nie ,sies man

here is my setup in my blinkgat ,only no 1 's just finished my 2 step trappie with the emmer on the lowest step ,wife very happy with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210411_092855.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	611945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210411_093242.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	611946  

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5