View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

18 23.08%
  • False

42 53.85%
  • how dare you question the holy grail of 4x4 camping that this establishment was built upon

18 23.08%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The Kgalagadi is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    We were there about 5 yrs ago and stayed at Nossob, Bitterpan & Mata-Mata & Twee Rivieren. Doubt if I will ever go back again:
    1) It's damn far from Centurion, which makes an overnight stop to/from the park necessary.
    2) Unlike the KNP, there are not many routes to choose from.
    3) Corrugated and dusty roads in the Kgalaghadi are terrible that take a toll on your body and vehicle, not matter what you drive.
    4) Accommodation is basic and quite expensive.
    5) Saw no predators during our stay of 10 days.
    Verdict - it was not worth the time, effort and expense!
    Its actually Cheaper to Travel to Kruger for Us from PE (Further than your Centurion. No TOLL Roads , Crime (Protests ) etc en route etc >> Adds Huge costs for us going to Kruger

Over crowding is a massive issue in all game parks in this country. Not to go too far off topic of the issues in KTP but this pic is from this last long weekend at Pilanesberg. They say a picture is worth thousand words...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 5.55.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	609982
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 AT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5 AT

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    ... and later all surrounding and boxing in a leopard that, bewildered, eventually bit the extended arm of a transporter driver who then partially drove over to maim it ...

If that part is referring to the incident that took place outside of Lower Sabie, how you describe it here is not very accurate.

That was a very old and/or sickly leopard acting desperately and erratically. It was actively interested in people in vehicles as a snack. The arm of the open top driver was just more "available". I remember several videos of the incident. That leopard was an accident waiting to happen and extremely dangerous...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

It is not that easy. Any nature destination has it's own echo system and interests.

Kruger has plenty game, but to me, it feels like a zoo.

Etc etc etc.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    If that part is referring to the incident that took place outside of Lower Sabie, how you describe it here is not very accurate.

That was a very old and/or sickly leopard acting desperately and erratically. It was actively interested in people in vehicles as a snack. The arm of the open top driver was just more "available". I remember several videos of the incident. That leopard was an accident waiting to happen and extremely dangerous...
    ... in our parks animals do get old and some may also get sickly etc but thats no reason to surround them with vehicles at very close quarters and have your windows down and have your arm exposed and then then run over them when the inevitable happens...
    You seem to want to justify that unruly and
    interventionist behaviour.
    If the leopard was as you say shouldnt it be rather left in peace ?
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/03/23 at 12:05 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plakkie View Post
    Over crowding is a massive issue in all game parks in this country. Not to go too far off topic of the issues in KTP but this pic is from this last long weekend at Pilanesberg. They say a picture is worth thousand words...

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 5.55.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	609982
    Those road blocks are caused by those game drive vehicles... every time it happens

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Bly weg. Daai warm rooi sand met sy goggas soos skerpioene en spinnekoppe is moeilikheid soek. Tyd dat hul minder mense toelaat.

En dan nie eens te praat van die paaie nie. Als rattle uitmekaar.

(terloops ek tel die slapies tot 3 Mei 2021)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

I was there last week, first time ever and it was amaizing!

I'll post a trip report and lots of pics later.
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CornellMans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    ... in our parks animals do get old and some may also get sickly etc but thats no reason to surround them with vehicles at very close quarters and have your windows down and have your arm exposed and then then run over them when the inevitable happens...
    You seem to want to justify that unruly and
    interventionist behaviour.
    If the leopard was as you say shouldnt it be rather left in peace ?

As said. The leopard was acting erratically. You seem to imply that the leopard was provoked into looking to eat someone? (It could have trotted off easily, but chose to stay. Not very leopard like hey!) The traffic jam happened due to the leopard desperately doing "shopping" between the cars not the other way around. To me, that leopard was a risk to anyone in the vicinity. The Lower Sabie staff quarters was around the corner. A Leopard like that would take a child easily.

While I certainly do not like someone taking it upon themselves to drive over it, having witnessed what happened, the bitter hard truth is that Leopard had to go... Nature would ordinarily take it's course and it would be eaten alive by hyaenas or killed by lions, but that could be after it had killed someone.

Just to add some subtance:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...th-Africa.html

Please see the behavior of that leopard before it attacked the guide in the game viewing vehicle.
    Last edited by New; 2021/03/23 at 12:55 PM.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

I read some threads and at times wonder if the expectations of folk are realistic. We live in a world where all and sundry is plastered all over what ever screen it can be sent to. PC, TV, cell phone, tablet and everything is built up to be glossy and glamorous.

If proper research was to be done on the Kgalagadi then it would easily be shown that this park has reached more popularity in recent years. It has three main camps so it stands to reason that these will be occupied most of the time and that is exactly what San parks wants to do. More occupancy means more funds.

For years, the roads in the park have been under discussion. They can be bad and this is not hidden from view or comments, so going there and expecting something different is hardly realistic.

Our trip there in January had us pitching tents in the pouring rain and splashing through deep rivers of water. Did that spoil our trip, hell NO. Despite social distancing our fellow campers were thoughtful and a delight to be around, the camaraderie abundant. We were set up well enough that it was not much of a convenience despite of or maybe because of our minimalist set up.

The sightings we were blessed with were better than most we get anywhere else. 25 Lion, 10 Cheetah, Springbok giving birth live ....... and all in full view, not hidden behind bushes or a glimpse of a backside.

We saw the full cycle of life and death, watching a juvenile Cheetah make a kill with it's mother watching over it and the birth of a Springbok.

Give me a patch to camp on, a rag to strip wash my dirty body, I can dig a hole to no 2 in and if I have to share that with some other folks ...... so be it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9504.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	358.3 KB 
ID:	610093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9530.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	610094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9633.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	610095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9635.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	610096  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Name:	887A9542.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	610107I guess its a matter of perspective and attitude having recently spent the BEST two weeks I've ever had in this very special park.

Name:	887A0549.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	610108

Name:	887A1331.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	879.2 KB 
ID:	610109

Name:	887A2015.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	610110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	887A1822.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	610114
    Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 2021/03/23 at 04:05 PM. Reason: adding images

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harriet For This Useful Post:

Name:	Rooiputs Campsite 3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	610106 Just my Best >> Just Jane and I for 2 weeks at Rooiputs most years in best month April . This particular Night we were the only used Campsite being used >> my Best as I am not really at home in the now crowded SANParks campsites other side of the Nossob River. I love the fact that I can get down onto the main road at 07h00 hours knowing that Twee Rivieren guests are jostling for their permits to get out of camp 25-30 kms to the South which gives me total exclusivity in Best light for 30 mins before the Cloud of Dust approaches >> to disrupt the scene (s)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheetah Drinkers.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	662.3 KB 
ID:	610113 Right in front of my Hilux in front of camp 500 metres up the road from Rooiputs camp turn off @07h10 on my own after a previous evenings late autum downpour. With Traffic this sighting would not have happened >> I cant afford the Petrol from PE to the Park and back again to risk loosing sightings like this.. thats why we prefer to forgo Private Bathrooms behind a fence >>
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/03/23 at 04:11 PM.

I do recommend the lux camps at Nossob if you are able to get. Really worth the extra money.

My wife gets to use my rag in the private shower to really scrub me clean. Pink and glowing to be exact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9436.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	610111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9441.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	610116  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I don't know what you "expect" to see going into any park, especially the Kalahari. I never prepare my expectation and feel blessed with any sightings. You go there to be in the Kalahari. If you want perspective, look at Google Earth, locate Twee Rivieren and then zoom out a bit, that will show you what it really looks like. Absolute drop in the ocean of dunes. You can hardly see it. No point talking about the crowding. This is just our "ants perspective" of the world.

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tadek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    absolutely agree .....

...... and last time at the Khidding Pan camp site the cover of the power plug was broken
    and no cell phone reception, people should not go to the Kgalagadi. I agree, bad place.
    Last edited by bredsj; 2021/03/23 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    You booked the wrong camps - simple.

If you go Polentswa or Rooiputs or any place in the Mabua or Kaa section of the park I am sure you are away from the crowd and you can choose your loops for the game drives.
    of course, that advice is given in bold red letters when you book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I think you guys are missing Shifish's and Africa_Overlands's point..

And he has a point..

I am sure you still get good views and wonderful wildlife pics.. but is it still the same experience as what it was a few years ago..

I think they are definitely over populating the place, and even if you have a secret hidey hole or camp spot, somewhere, somehow, this overcrowding will influence the park, it's wild life and the experience you have next time, negatively
    For some it's hard to put emotions aside when responding to something that questions what they so firmly believe in, and at the end of the day we are all limited to our frame of reference -
    For those who are a bit more well traveled, they often have a wider frame of reference and would question certain things/voice their opinions to help others that are more open minded - not react out of emotion and miss most of what the post is about to drive their point home (hence the "how dare you question the Kgalagadi" option in the poll, it was meant to be satire and it proves the point of most of the responses here....)

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter de Waal View Post
    Last time I was there Okaukuejo was in a state. There was no maintenance, very unfriendly staff and huge drunken parties to listen to from the staff village. Highly unlikely that I will go back there. Namutoni by comparisson was a pleasure.
    Now you see Ive been there 20 odd times as stated, and my worst noisey drunken staff party was at Halali, and more than once too. Never had a problem at Okaukuejo. Namatoni i cant comment on, never stayed there to be honest.

Will have to book a few nights there at the end of the month (pay week end) and test your theory.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Having spent a few years on this planet (my "frame of reference"), I can assure you that nothing in life has remained unchanged. (Just accept it, as Francious Theron says "You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can set your sails ...")
    The negatives are largely due to over population, and I am afraid you and I are part and parcel of that. So don't "blame" others for what is happening at KTP, you and I are part of that "problem"
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2021/03/24 at 03:37 PM.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Having spent a few years on this planet (my "frame of reference"), I can assure you that nothing in life has remained unchanged. (Just accept it, as Francious Theron says "You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can set your sails ...")
    The negatives are largely due to over population, and I am afraid you and I are part and parcel of that. So don't "blame" others for what is happening at KTP, you and I are part of that "problem"
    An excellent summation. We have only gone to KTP 3 times, first time in 2017, we would have gone in 2020 but Covid has us stuck in Australia. We never had the ability or funds to visit this park starting 20-30 years ago. Some of the posts here are making me feel guilty for going there, that maybe it should be restricted to only a select few. You are correct, we are all part of the "problem". Personally I have experienced large crowds but never any unpleasantness, certainly far better than KNP. If SANParks do restrict numbers we will abide by that and hope to be lucky, as long as I am allowed to go we will continue visiting this very, very special place.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast