View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

18 23.08%
  • False

42 53.85%
  • how dare you question the holy grail of 4x4 camping that this establishment was built upon

18 23.08%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default The Kgalagadi is overrated

Overpopulated, and overcrowded.

Having just come back from 2 weeks there I can say what a lot of you that have been there recently must also be thinking.

I'm sure 10-15 years ago it was a great place to visit, but it's HIGHLY overrated at this stage and overcrowded, the first site by the gate is, to be honest, nothing more than a glorified parking lot in the dirt, and the subsequent two "big camps" Nossob and Matta, are so overcrowded that you will be in the conversation, of each person sharing that camp - a far ways away from being in a "desolate camp in Africa" your tent or caravan will likely be rubbing up against the next person who has been squeezed in there.

Driving inside the park itself is quite terrible, not a lot of ring roads so you spend most of the time driving out and back on the same old roads.

Park upkeep and facilities are top notch and work like clockwork however so a thumbs up so SP on that.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afrika_overland For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Kgalagadi is overrated

Yep that is why one needs to be on the Mabua side, the SA side has unfortunately become the second KNP
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

My first visit some 2 years ago was a standard Nossob, Mata Mata and Twee Rivieren, with the latter being our least favourite camp for the reasons you have stated. Since then we have migrated away from these and pretty much use these as transit camps as we spend our time wild camping in either Mabua or Kaa region. Then none of your concerns apply.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Oh I love Kgalagadi threads like this.

Yes agreed, it is a HORRIBLE place. The dust, the corrugations, animals are so scarce, awful tasting and feeling water, the high verges on some roads cause you to see even less. Oh I can go on and on.

I fully agree with you. Totally overrated park. People should stop going, waste of money.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/03/18 at 11:19 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Go to KNP and you will be back at Kghalighadi in a flash.

It is my second home, yes the caravan park is a little full SOMETIMES but far from KNP crowding.

The nature of the terrain, and this is something you need to understand, does not lend itself to ring roads. You cannot just grade a new road over the dunes, it has to be built like the two dune roads that can be driven by 2x4s.

Did you do any of the unfenced camps? You will have seen the dune roads there and you will then see my point. Even those roads are messed up in places by people who do not know how to drive sand. Imagine every little ring road with people stuck on each dune.

The two rivers are the attraction for animals, the grass is sweeter and the water is there. I go there twice a year and see lucky sightings on the dune roads, but I see everything on the two main roads. If there are 4 or 5 cars at a sighting I can live with that, at least there are not hundreds of green landrovers pushing and shoving.

I suggest you try it again.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

You booked the wrong camps - simple.

If you go Polentswa or Rooiputs or any place in the Mabua or Kaa section of the park I am sure you are away from the crowd and you can choose your loops for the game drives.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post

Yes agreed, it is a HORRIBLE place. The dust, the corrugations, animals are so scarce, awful tasting and feeling water, the high verges on some roads causes you to see even less. Oh I can go on and on.

I fully agree with you. Totally overrated park. People should stop going, waste of money.
    less people the next time I am there.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    ....If you go Polentswa or Rooiputs or any place in the Mabua or Kaa section of the park I am sure you are away from the crowd and you can choose your loops for the game drives.
    That is even worse. No flushing toilets, the showers does not have doors neither have the toilets, no toilet paper supplied, lions and other nasties visit your campsite and prevent you from getting out of the extremely stinky longdrop. AND you still have to drive the same boring roads over and over again.
    Christa

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

That is even worse. No flushing toilets, the showers does not have doors neither have the toilets, no toilet paper supplied, lions and other nasties visit your campsite and prevent you from getting out of the extremely stinky longdrop. AND you still have to drive the same boring roads over and over again.

absolutely agree .....

...... and last time at the Khidding Pan camp site the cover of the power plug was broken
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Yawn,your first time AO?

If so, now you know which areas to avoid.

Otherwise on your next bush trip do Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Satara and after that let us know how you really feel.

Of course the KTP has changed, they've had to. The whole outdoor / camping / ecotourism industry has mushroomed in the last couple of decades and it is a case of adapt or die.

The KTP now is no different to the Gemsbok Park I fist visited in the early 80's once you get out the gates (bar better roads, picnic sites and solar boreholes). That's the part that counts.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    and last time at the Khidding Pan camp site the cover of the power plug was broken
    Bloody shoddy maintenance, I tell you
    Christa

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Yes agreed, it is a HORRIBLE place. The dust, the corrugations, animals are so scarce, awful tasting and feeling water, the high verges on some roads cause you to see even less. Oh I can go on and on.

Nee! Nee! Wat rook jy vanoggend.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Nee! Nee! Wat rook jy vanoggend.
    Daai sokkies wat die leeus nie eens wou wegdra nie.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Otherwise on your next bush trip do Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Satara and after that let us know how you really feel.

Yepp. On the same basis of your post. Please do not go to those places.... Horrible. Was in Lower Sabie just now in Feb. Saw the big 5 is less than 24 hours and included spending 6 hours with a pack of wild dogs (mostly on our own). Truly a horrible experience. And! The nasty safari tent we stayed in had aircon. When I turned it off still I could not hear anything else than bush sounds. Who can sleep with the hyenas cackling and owls hooting in the background! I'd rather stay at home next time hey, stay clear.
    Last edited by New; 2021/03/18 at 11:42 AM.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

I have been there twice, we had some amazing sightings of grazers, browsers, cats and hyena. We stayed at Mata Mata and twee rivieren but would like to stay at Rooiputs next. It definitely beats going to Pilanesberg or Kruger and it gives a bit of a overlanding feel to it especially now that it's difficult to get into Bots or Nam. We were there out of season.

We can talk about Etosha as overrated and over populated.

Not that I turn my nose up to going to Kruger, Pilanesberg or Etosha. I have been to Khutse and only seen Springbok and Gemsbok but still loved it and going back in September.
    Last edited by GarethHAllen; 2021/03/18 at 11:52 AM.

This is a very sensitive subject for many but here is my opinion on the subject.
    I stay in the Kalahari and for the last approx. 15 years have seen the SA section of the Park deteriorate to the what it is today.
    The Park is overcrowded and overpopulated by tourists and staff and the main reason is the absolute mass promoting of the Park by the Media.
    More and more tourists wants to visit and more pressure is applied for more camps and accommodation and with the additional income Sanparks have built and are eager to build more and bigger camps and enlarging the current camps.
    The infrastructure like roads and water supply etc cannot keep up.Building more roads will have a very bad influence on this sensitive eco system.
    What has happened to the big herds of several hundreds of Springbok,Gemsbok,Blue Wildebeest,Red Hartebeest etc.Ten years ago was the last time I saw those big herds.
    No more pride of lions 15-20 strong.
    Unfortunately the SA side of Kgalagadi is the smallest section of the Park,but way over developed compared to the Botswana section.
    I do not want to discuss the boreholes and water supply to the animals in this posting.
    Let us give credit to the legendary Le Riche Family as Park Wardens and the fantastic work that they have done.
    Please note this is my personal opinion on the topic.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to moxy dunn For This Useful Post:

I am waiting for someone to read this and tell you what a heathen you are ... Stick to your Hollywood camps
    Last edited by Half-Pint; 2021/03/18 at 12:19 PM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

And dont forget the crime ridden towns on the way to the Park. Safer to stay at home.
    Last edited by pietbak; 2021/03/18 at 12:13 PM.

Absolutely agree with you Christa. On our last visit there in November/December 2019 it took us 37 nights to work out what an awful place this is, stayed at 3 x SANParks camps plus Rooiputs and Polentswa. We only saw cats on 36 days, it will take a lot to make us return. Totally overrated , can't wait to return to Africa.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/03/18 at 03:33 PM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    I have been there twice, we had some amazing sightings of grazers, browsers, cats and hyena. We stayed at Mata Mata and twee rivieren but would like to stay at Rooiputs next. It definitely beats going to Pilanesberg or Kruger and it gives a bit of a overlanding feel to it especially now that it's difficult to get into Bots or Nam. We were there out of season.

We can talk about Etosha as overrated and over populated.

Not that I turn my nose up to going to Kruger, Pilanesberg or Etosha. I have been to Khutse and only seen Springbok and Gemsbok but still loved it and going back in September.
    Unless you pulling the piss, I would like to hear why you would think Etosha is overrated and over populated.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast