Default World trip / sabbatical - what is the ideal age?

What age would be the best for starting an extended journey?

Each life section has his own advantages and disadvantages, with more or less hidden costs. As later we start our journey, as more resistors we had to fight with.

"One year off" most of us should be able to get, without a payback who isnt good at the end. This one year off during the "working years" - does have different costs during different life sections. Not all cost are based out of monetary...

Article: https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021...ideal-age.html

Am I being too conservative, to mention these hidden costs? To mention that the time after the "time-off" is relevant too?

4x4tripping

Default Re: World trip / sabbatical - what is the ideal age?

The view often expressed is to take one's retirement years during one's life and do the things you want to do in retirement now, while you can.

And if you think about it, the amount of effort required to provide for retirement and then maintain it a certain level with no guarantee that you will be able to achieve it or enjoy it doesnt necessarily make sense.

But in order to enjoy "retirement" during your life requires a specific mind set, one which doesnt value the materialistic set pieces one is told to obtain, such as a property.

Choosing a career that isnt place dependent also helps.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''
    Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I think this is more a function of fitness, health than it is of age.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

The only correct answer is ‘now’. Tomorrow may be too late. Would you want to miss your world tour/sabbatical?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jumble For This Useful Post:

I think the thought of getting back on the wagon after sabatical and retain previous income or better it is the problem for most.

If companies would allow 1year unpaid leave at the time you choose it might be win win?
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

My opinion is that the best time for a gap year travel year is after a few years graft, gives you a bit more perspective than blindly walking around the world straight out of school , college or varsity.

I do believe you can never experience the freedom, experiences and friendships as a retiree as you would as a young and single person. With age comes attachments, other halves and kids, not to mention all the admin we create be it from properties, investments, businesses etc that cannot be cut off cleanly for a year.

Another reason to do it after a few years employment is to save some money so that when you do get to these once in a lifetime far off destinations you can participate in what it offers and not just observe.

We once did a trip as students from Cape Town to Zanzibar and were meant to visit the Serengeti, but the group majority vote at the time was to rather spend an extra week on Lake Malawi on the way back than do the Serengeti, as most of us thought at the time we could one day come back with our families. Very few of us ever did, once in a lifetime opportunity missed, we all got too tied up in adult life.

Travel where ever you can while young and independent, life changes and true freedom is but a fleeting and short era in one's life.

I was fortunate to do a 1 year round the world trip as a 26 year old, it was expensive and if I were to add the income lost it effectively cost triple the actual cost, but it remains the richest 12 month experience of my life, every day was a blank page to be filled with brand new people, sights and experiences.

As a young person such an experience gives you a "world view" on life and this planet that is priceless, and the memories you treasure for ever.

If you can do a gap year as an older person, with a partner maybe, you will appreciate it in a different way, and your destination choice will also differ. The key to making it a once in a lifetime experience is to be free while you travel, no daily admin managing your life in the "real world". The freedom is a mindset you cannot attain if there are even minor daily real world tasks that you must do while you travel. To have that total mental freedom is where the real enjoyment comes from and I believe unfortunately only younger unattached people can experience that.

Before a wheel chair. Before or after kids at home. That is SINK or DINK.

More seriously the best is not to have clear cuts retirement/work/sabbatical. Unfortunately this is not possible with many professions. However those who wish to travel plan your working life accordingly. I have read about people who decided their career before matric based on this. I did not do so but at the end landed into a situation that I can work where ever. I do not have working, holiday or similar time. I have only time. If you get into such position by planning or by accident the age doesn't count. Your health is the only limitation.

Taking a sabbatical without some earning potential can be a real killer for pension time.

Next issue is what do you with your possessions. Some sell all, some store and some "box up".

If I was young at matric I would look for a field where I could work fixed position only a short time and after having some experience (and "name") where ever. We know personally some like that.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

My (now wife, then girlfriend) and I did ours when we were 23 and 28 respectively. She had recently finished Tech, I had a pretty sought after skill (so a soft landing when we got back). Best thing we ever did. We realised we were marriage material, how small and big the world is, how trivial most of the worries life had encouraged really were. Obviously it was before kids, so much easier. Not sure I'd have been brave enough to do it with kids. After kids, retirement looms and suddenly retirement money looms. For me it had to be then, or in a few years when I'm fairly confident that comfortable retirement is assured.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/03/17 at 09:44 PM.

That was DINK.

Minimal impact on future earnings. Possibly even positive. Not for everybody.

Is it enough to have it once in life? When you get the travelling fever

We joke about what we can talk in the old age home

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    My (now wife, then girlfriend) and I did ours when we were 23 and 28 respectively. She had recently finished Tech, I had a pretty sought after skill (so a soft landing when we got back). Best thing we ever did. We realised we were marriage material, how small and big the world is, how trivial most of the worries life had encouraged really were. Obviously it was before kids, so much easier. Not sure I'd have been brave enough to do it with kids. After kids, retirement looms and suddenly retirement money looms. For me it had to be then, or in a few years when I'm fairly confident that comfortable retirement is assured.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

I am on my second sabbatical, first was in 2008 for 2 years (I resigned). Came back stronger and managed to repair "damage" financially. 2020, start of my second (was retrenched, opted in) .... still WIP, not sure how/when will end (well..... when my savings / money runs out). Planned to travel, F1 and WRC, but Covid sorted that It really is liberating and something you should do, if you can (and even if you can't) I am single, so no dependents / responsibilities other than myself, so a bit easier. Oh well..... YOLO
    Last edited by Howie-WP; 2021/03/17 at 10:45 PM.

Single/unmarried yes. On my own - no change. Married - very little change.

On these issues opinion of the partner is critical. 100% agreement is required. Grand children is one issue. I do not care. We worked with people where one had a wife who only went to one 5 star hotel beach place year after year. That is more than MAD. Either change the wife or go to an other place - f...k the wife..

Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    I am on my second sabbatical, first was in 2008 for 2 years. Came back stronger and managed to repair "damage" financially. 2020, start of my second.... still WIP, not sure how/when will end (well..... when my savings / money runs out). Planned to travel, F1 and WRC, but Covid sorted that It really is liberating and something you should do, if you can (and even if you can't) I am single, so no dependents / responsibilities other than myself, so a bit easier. Oh well..... YOLO
    Jouko
    ----------
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post: